NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Koyo radiator question

Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 AM

Question Koyo radiator question

ok, last night i finished putting my car back together after waiting a week and a half for my radiator to come in. My factory radiator has had a small hole in it for some time and the JB weld finally gave up so i opted for a KOYO alluminum radiator from www.raceinspired.com. got it in and my car runs beautifully, only problem is the temp variates quite a bit.. it never overheats or even gets past where it normally runs at, its just running really cold. after letting my car warm up it stays at normal temp until i get on the highway then it will literally drop back down to the C mark but my car doesn't seem to run any differently.. the idle is a little rough but it's been that way. i don't know, i don't suspect its a bad thing for my engine to be running a little cold but when it drops to the C on the highway a number of questions pop into my head. maybe need to run hotter plugs with the bigger radiator? maybe a temp sensor? maybe my temp gauge is ****ed (which has never been the case in the past)? any insight on what it may be would really help out. thanks alot guys.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 AM

first off stock 240 temp gauges suck. it may also be the temp sensor. we had that happen to my pops tt 300zx the gauge would go up and down as you gave it gas and let off. and all we replaced was the connector.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

it has air in it, park it on a slight incline or drive the front on some boards or something, then open the radiator cap and turn ur heat on full blast...then turn on the car and let it warm up...fill with distilled water or whatever u wana use lol...massage the heater hoses...if the air is blowing nice n hot once the car is warm then you should be good, just top it off and make sure u got fluid in the overflow tank....if it doesnt get very hot then you need to keep doing it..
Old 02-09-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by motegineon
it has air in it, park it on a slight incline or drive the front on some boards or something, then open the radiator cap and turn ur heat on full blast...then turn on the car and let it warm up...fill with distilled water or whatever u wana use lol...massage the heater hoses...if the air is blowing nice n hot once the car is warm then you should be good, just top it off and make sure u got fluid in the overflow tank....if it doesnt get very hot then you need to keep doing it..

haha no ac/heat gutted to the max... yeah, i didn't have my air compressor when i put it in so i couldn't vacuum all the old coolant so i was expecting air pockets, just expected it to run warmer than usual not the other way around. dumb. don't want to warp my head or anything so i'll try rubbing one out via radiator hoses and get back at you. thanks man.

Last edited by buyMEbeerPLEASE; 02-09-2007 at 08:14 AM.