NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

lack of power....

Old 09-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

NGK is for Japanese, Bosch is for Euros, AC Delco is for Chevy, Motorcraft is for Ford, Champion is for Chrysler...nobody follows it anymore but that's how it's supposed to be.

The difference in price for the 02 is probably a splice (have to cut old wire and solder or crimp it onto the new one, or factory fit (comes with new connector)...I recommend the OEM fit...I never like to cut and solder any signal wire.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Update............

UPDATE UPDATE........................today was the day it all went away. I finally got tired of evrything and put on a fairly new s14 throttle body(clean *** shyt-no gunk or anything and new TPS) with new gasket. Hooked it all back up fine. Moved onto taking the MAF off and cleaning with the spray stuff. Knocked that out and put it back in after it had time to dry and what not.

Then decided to trash the NGK platinums and put in new Champion coppers gapped to .044. After all this was done it was still idling like shyt and smoke still coming out the exhaust. Saw in my search today goin through some recent and old threads about this problem....and saw something about the Coolant Temp Sensor. So, knowing the one on my s14 motor was brand spanking new(along with the sensor right next to it) I decided to put them in. Out with the old and in with the new.....and BOOM!!!! the car was back to its sicknesss. No idle bounce-steady at 700,no black smoke, no nothing. I couldnt freakin believe it. Im so stoked right now.....and it seems like it running akot more solid now-can just feel the power in the throttle. Thanx to all that have helped on this beast. later yall
Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 PM

what happened to our trade man haha.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

so you mean to tell me that you read through other threads for the answer, even though i gave you that same answer when you first posted this tread? i guess all my replays will be, "search" from now on. either way, the important thing is that your car is running fine again. i hope nothing changes between now and tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 PM

in all honesty....it was at the top of my lil checklist i made. that was your call and you are the shyt for pointin that out bro-thanx. Jus doin research and using the search button i found it got tossed around here and there but that was about it. i looked it up because i wanted to see more about it-turns out.....u can point out what it was before i even thought about it. All in all.....it got fixed and even got a lil tune up in certain spots.

Even took it out for a nice 45 min roll just a lil bit ago......fuhkin unreal. Car was str8 up putting it down like never before. Even with my auto trans.....i actually got sideways around a corner goin 50 and pumpin out quite a bit of tire smoke....was really freakin awesome. Its hillarious how the temp sensor could be a culprit of so much shyt. thanx jramos
Old 09-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

just a question.. did you check your ECU codes?????? that saves lots of times.

glad you are rolling again.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 AM

yea bro....i checked that crap so many times. Damn near 99% of the time it was giving my the 5-5 code. Before i changed my o2 it gave me the 3-4 code (or whatever was for exhaust gas sensor). Got that taken care of. It threw out 4-5(injector) once...then after that evrythings been fine. Except yesterday after i cleaned out my MAF-it gave me the 1-2 code. I was pretty heated but went away after i changed that CTS. Thanx biggame.....i dont think you realize how glad i am to be rollin again homie.

BTW....how do you clear the codes from the ECU??? i heard somthing about pum,ping the brakes or something and doin something else??? i dunno-thats why im asking. later yall......
Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 PM

only use the ngk or Nippon Denso. Is the car running rough... i.e. sound like a Subaroo?
there are some very simple ways to diag engine mis-fires. power balance test is quick and simple .....
Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 PM

nah.....not no more. since the update-its been running like a champ. im beyond impressed with it. gonna get some NGK copper for the fuhk of it on friday-but as of now....its deff runnin like a beast.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Preston
NGK is for Japanese, Bosch is for Euros, AC Delco is for Chevy, Motorcraft is for Ford, Champion is for Chrysler...nobody follows it anymore but that's how it's supposed to be.
i have to disagree about you're last statement, i wouldn't say that that's how it's supposed to be to about any plug/engine combinations other than motercraft and ford. the reason being is becuase motercraft is fords brand name, ford created motercraft. the others are just subsidiaries or are owned in part by the auto makers. they were not created by any one auto maker with the intent to porduce replacement parts for it's line of automobiles like ford did with motercraft.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't say it was required to be like that...but those are the OEM parts put into those cars. In all honesty...in rare instances it actually fixes some problems. I know of a few Jeeps my shop has worked on that absolutely hated the Bosch plugs we stock. Ordered champs and everything went away. And yes, they were the correct Bosch equivalent to the OEM plugs.

Like I said I in no way stand by that statement as a rule, but only as a list of OEM products.

Lol...sorry to thread jack
Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

i know what you're talking about and agree, it's just that the way your original statement was worded made it seem as though you were hinting at something else.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

I have a tendency to word things wrong lol
Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

and i tend to type run on sentences, fail to use proper punctuation, misspell, and just flat out butcher the english language, and now i'm off topic so i'll stop.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM

after a brief stint of being back to normal.......once again-it all came back AGAIN!!!! caught wind of that SeaFoam crap and tried it out............i deff had a bad cat. It cleaned out so much carbon it was pretty damn nasty. I had a pile of carbon shyt(on the garage floor-right below my exhaust tip) that was about 7-8" wide(all around) and damn near 2/16"-3/16" thick!!!!! made it run and idle soooo much better. But now knowing this-im currently in the market for a good used exhaust for now(too broke to afford some new flashy one haha). Maybe even get a test pipe while im looking for an exhaust. I heard the ebay deals(on cat-backs and test pipes) are crap and dont fit well....can anyone vouch for this or against it??? thanx

WTB:2"-2.5"cat-back and test pipe....................prefer one already "tested" by someone else hahaha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lack of power....