NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

N/A? for my first car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Smile N/A? for my first car?

Hey guys. I'm planning to get the 96-98 240 S14 for my first car... but I was kinda thinking that.. I should just get an NA first.. until I learn alot of things about the car first.. and improve my driving... then install a turbo...

but some of my friends tell me to go turbo all the way...

so... any ideas? please tell me THANKS!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:33 PM

I applaud you for this comment. "and improve my driving" Learn to drive by pushing your car until you can hit its limits at your local track events. Then start modifying components as they begin to hold you back. Proceeding in this manner will allow you to grow the car as your skills improve. This is why you always see lightly modded miata's handing much more capable cars their *** during track days. Starting out on the lower side performance wise prevents a lot of bad driving habits from developing.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

I say go N/A at first, and a cheap one that you dont care if you screw things up on, so you can learn to wrench. There's less frustration.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

n/a or forced induction should be the issue when getting your first car.

i see that you're a student and being that the case unless mommy and daddy are picking up the bill you should be looking for something cheap and reliable.
fortunately 240's are known for being just that, cheap and very reliable. as ry stated you should be ready to putt some wrench time on it as well.

you'd be surprised how quickly you can go broke if you can't even change the brakes on your car let alone install a turbo.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:58 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by 240AM
I applaud you for this comment. "and improve my driving" Learn to drive by pushing your car until you can hit its limits at your local track events. Then start modifying components as they begin to hold you back. Proceeding in this manner will allow you to grow the car as your skills improve. This is why you always see lightly modded miata's handing much more capable cars their *** during track days. Starting out on the lower side performance wise prevents a lot of bad driving habits from developing.
THANKS. lol
well.. i live in Southern California.. and I have about 5 or more road tracks near my house.. most of them are not even an hour away.. so yeah. and i live in a place called.. Canyon Country.. lol.

and i will keep ur advices in mind. thanks again.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i see that you're a student and being that the case unless mommy and daddy are picking up the bill you should be looking for something cheap and reliable.
fortunately 240's are known for being just that, cheap and very reliable. as ry stated you should be ready to putt some wrench time on it as well.

you'd be surprised how quickly you can go broke if you can't even change the brakes on your car let alone install a turbo.
thanks!
uh.. how much would u consider is a cheap price? lol thanks. =]