NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

need help asap radiator problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:56 PM

need help asap radiator problem

okay i just installed a new radiator. took out old one. while taking out old one i had to take out two tubes things, brownish stuff came out. my car is an automatic. anyways i installed new radiator, yada yada, put everything the way it was. now i start it up and everything is fine, then it starts to get hot, the meter goes way beyond the HOT line. can anyone tell me what's wrong.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

You have any bubbles? Bleed the lines. You DID put more radiator fluid afterwards right? And drained the old stuff out and all that? Plus that brown stuff is transmission fluid, I believe. Fill that back up to where it needs to be if you lost too much.

Definitely try getting the air bubbles out. Run the car with the radiator cap off, and start pouring in radiator fluid till it's full. You should see it bubbling if there are air bubbles in it.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:12 PM

bleed what lines. the radiator is new, nothing in it, took out old one and put in new one. where would i fill the transmission fluid in?

many thanks.

edit:
just took the rest of my radiator coolant and filled it up with cap off and running car, it seems that my heater is back. haha

Last edited by lionel; 08-12-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Aren't there hoses that attach to the radiator itself?

When you change a radiator, you have to get rid of all the old coolant by this drain plug at the bottom. Once you drain all the fluid out, you put the new radiator on there, and FILL IT UP WITH RADIATOR FLUID. <---You did do that, right? Because if not, obviously your car is going to overheat, because there isn't any fluid in there.

What I ment by "bleeding the lines" is what I told you in my previous post. Get the air out of the system. Good luck.

Also, not quite sure where the transmission fluid resevoir is, but it'll say...TRANSMISSION FLUID.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

You're not missing any belts are you? Check all the pulley's on your car and make sure that a belt isn't missing. Double check all your lines too, and make sure that they're all hooked up correctly.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:24 PM

they are i made sure of it. it's just simple, i installed new radiator, same as the old one, put all the right stuff back in its place. only thing im missing is the transmission fluid when i lost some of it from taking the tubes out. right now it seems to be doing well, i have it running with heater on, and had the cap off for a bit, now i put it back on. ill check it again after this post

and it's full of radiator fluid. as i dumped old fluids, i put in new then loaded it with radiator fluid. you said to fill it up and let cap off, so i did that. seems to be going well. however i didnt get no air out.

Last edited by lionel; 08-12-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

As long as there is enough fluid in there, with no air taking up the space you should be fine. They might have surfaced after you took the cap off. Pressure does build in there, so it may have, but you might not have noticed.

Hope everything goes well. Keep us posted.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:54 PM

aight after doing everything you have mentioned, car was running well for a bit, i had cool air and hot air whenever i changed to it. now there were times when i put on the heater and all i got was cool air, confusing. then it started getting hot again. radiator was all hot, it's metal too. how long was i supposed to let the car run with the radiator cap off? i did it for about 10 minutes at the time. only thing i havent gotten was the transmission fluid refilled.(lost some as i removed the lines.) anyways i really dont see what's wrong. there should really be nothing wrong. i filled it up with radiator fluid to the max, i made sure every line went in its place.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 PM

you may have a bad thermostat? I know when mine overheated and the heater blew cold thats what fixed me up.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

for as many posts as you have credit for... you still dont know about the search button... if you look in the FAQ there is a post on overheating... you had air bubbles in the coolant system... now that you got the air out of it you are set to go...

the transmission fill is against the firewall close to the passenger side of the car... it is a tube that sticks up and has a yellow handle on it...
Old 08-13-2005, 11:50 AM

thanks for everything ill be changing the thermostat in about 10 minutes. im just preparing for the hot florida sun and the third bolt that is hard to get to. i searched after i made this thread. i wanted to have a thread then search. just in case i had questions ill just ask away. dont worry i know all about forums and how noobs never search.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:52 PM

double post, in other words, bump

my car stalls after around 10 minutes or when the heat is getting high ont he meter. anyways, i need a new valve cover gasket to prevent oil from coming out, and probably need new thermostat put it. i havent been able to do it cuz that damn last bolt was too much for me, also i lacked specific tools to make it easier. anyways im thinking both of this or one of em is res ponsible for my car stalling. what do yall think? thanks in advance for all the help
Old 08-13-2005, 08:42 PM

nooo guys, if his heat gauge went "way past the H line" he`s probably blown a gasket by now and he`s stuck in perpetual overheating land. Everybody iKnow that`s seen their gauge go past the H line ended up finding a heating problem due to the hg. (which is only three guys, but, hey)
Old 08-14-2005, 01:44 PM

ah yes indeed, waaay past the H line. which gasket do you think ive blown?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:33 AM

well it's the waterpump. so much for it brand new. it got ****ed when riding it while overheating. had to ride it like that to get to work. just letting yall know

Quick Reply: need help asap radiator problem