NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Oil In The Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Oil In The Alternator

My car finally dies early this morning about 3AM as I'm about to make a burger run to Hardees so I get up about 10 and take the alternator and the battery to AutoZone to get them tested. The battery gets charged up and comes up good and so does the alternator but it's caked with oil, some of it from previous owner neglect and some from a couple of weeks ago when I busted the oil pan gasket and oil spewed on my steering rack and the bottom of the block. They told me that oil will kill electrical components if it gets in them which makes sense but I never really had an incident to think about that. Is this true? I went ahead and bought a new alternator because the old one was gummed up and the pulley was making a clicking noise so I figured that it was on it's way out anyhow. I bolted up the new one and put the battery back in place and it fired up pretty good but the true test will be tonight when I go to work and check for headlight flaring and voltage spikes when I hit the climate control or power windows. It's been doing that for a couple of weeks now and slow starting for about a week so like I said, I expected this to happen. But can anyone answer the question about the oil on electrical parts?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

The oil wont hurt it... now dirt and stuff that gets caught on the oil does. Water is also a no-no. Dont wash the motor and then take it out for a spin. I learned that lesson in my old Acura Legend.... R.I.P. stock alternator. lawlernutz.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Whoops, done that a couple of times. Drove the car at night and the new alternator cleared up a couple of problems. The car's headlights use to flicker whenever I stopped at a stoplight. The dashlights would flicker and the idle would drop whenever I turned on the climate control or used the power windows/moonroof. These problems seem to be elimanated and the power band seems smoother as I accelerate. Also, the idle is much more stable.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

yeah... funny how changes in voltage and do so much.