NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

prices>>>>help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:14 PM

Smile prices>>>>help

hello everyone, I didn't know if I should have put this in engine swaps or what, but hopefully this isn't to far off topic, I was wondering what the prices would be for a rebuilt ka24e for my 89 or I'd like to know how much I should expect to pay for the ka24de I've found info on the de but not very much on the e, and I know since I'm swapping the engine it'd probably be better to swap in the de but if there is a big price difference I'm gonna ahve to get another ka24e, but anny help would be appreciated, thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Re: prices>>>>help

Originally posted by pooptown
hello everyone, I didn't know if I should have put this in engine swaps or what, but hopefully this isn't to far off topic, I was wondering what the prices would be for a rebuilt ka24e for my 89 or I'd like to know how much I should expect to pay for the ka24de I've found info on the de but not very much on the e, and I know since I'm swapping the engine it'd probably be better to swap in the de but if there is a big price difference I'm gonna ahve to get another ka24e, but anny help would be appreciated, thanks
decent condition DE - about $200-250 depending on mileage

...and yeah, it would be better to swap to a DE since you're already pulling the old motor out... and DE's will always be "younger" than an E. The swap is fairly easy; we've done one just a few months ago, and the only parts that took a little time was the power steering mod
Old 01-04-2005, 10:59 AM

a rebild kit for either are usually around 300 to 500 bucks. i thought about swapping over to a de but if i did that wouldnt i need a better clutch, power steering, and radiator, ect? i got to thinking about all of this and decided im happy with my e. until i get better info on the de swap. also if i did the swap i wouldnt have money for the motor and a rebuild. but thats just my 2 cents. but i am looking into it because i cant get my car to start right now!
Old 01-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13_peacekeeper
a rebild kit for either are usually around 300 to 500 bucks. i thought about swapping over to a de but if i did that wouldnt i need a better clutch, power steering, and radiator, ect? i got to thinking about all of this and decided im happy with my e. until i get better info on the de swap. also if i did the swap i wouldnt have money for the motor and a rebuild. but thats just my 2 cents. but i am looking into it because i cant get my car to start right now!
OEm clutch - about $90, power steering - you can mod the 89-90 to work with a DE, and radiator is the same - just need DOHC hoses... still cheaper than an E rebuild kit
Old 01-04-2005, 11:24 AM

the same power steering? i men you dont have to buy a new one. and what hoses, like radiator hoses, vacum, ect??? where would i find one, on here, junkyard, and what about shipping? whats your suggestions. and what do you think everything will cost all together?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13_peacekeeper
the same power steering? i men you dont have to buy a new one. and what hoses, like radiator hoses, vacum, ect??? where would i find one, on here, junkyard, and what about shipping? whats your suggestions. and what do you think everything will cost all together?
You don't have to buy a new one - you can bend the lines to relocate the p/s reservoir from right to left.

Where to find one? If you want to change to DOHC power steering, go for it. You might as well, and yeah - try a junkyard for starters.

My bad, "Hoses" as in DOHC radiator hoses.

Shipping - I don't work for UPS bro.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:45 AM

Shipping - I don't work for UPS bro. [/B][/QUOTE]

my bad i got exited but thanks ill give it some seriouse thought! when your bro did it do you know about how much he spent on everything? thanks

my quoter isnt workin, or i dont know how to? one of the 2!lol

Last edited by s13_peacekeeper; 01-04-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

well, there's a "quote" button below the posts

lets see - $250 for the engine with no tranny, but new clutch... I think he spent like another 1-200 for all the random stuff we needed to swap the engine (gear oil, plugs, cap/rotor, hoses, etc.)
Old 01-04-2005, 09:56 PM

what kinda of condition would the engine be in if I only paid around 250 for it, and could anyone help me out witht the prices of a remanufactured engine, and I've looked on the netbut the price range I've seen is like around 1,300, but then again I don't really know all the right places to look. but hey if I could get somethin in real good shape for a good price then *yayyy*, I won't be complaining, at least I got somethin to drive I'm gonna be happy, but any adivce on where to find an engine and any advice at all would be appreciated, thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 PM

Re: Re: prices>>>>help

Originally posted by l2aine
decent condition DE - about $200-250 depending on mileage

...and yeah, it would be better to swap to a DE since you're already pulling the old motor out... and DE's will always be "younger" than an E. The swap is fairly easy; we've done one just a few months ago, and the only parts that took a little time was the power steering mod

ah sorry, overlooked the part where you said decent condition, my bad
Old 01-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

yeah i'd like to swap a de into my car too. planning on rebuilding it anyway so what condition is your motor pooptown? price?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 PM

well, it runs, runs like a piece of crap, hehe. it has a bent valve, maybe more than one, so it shakes like a **** when it's running it looks like the head gasket is blown cause there is oil splattered on the exhaust manifold and it looks as if it's coming from between the head and the block, but it only has 69,768 miles on it, but they previous owners took it to a crappy mechanic who said there was a problem with the head, so the head was replaced, then they found out after it quit running again that the timing was off cause the timing chain needed replacement, which rubbed a hole in the block the hole was welded, but get this the mechaninc still put the old timing set back on, so basically I just decided to drop in another KA, I'm hoping I can get a de but I'd be happy with the e either way I got somethin to drive so I'll be pleased, cause my current vehicle is a 1984 dodge d-50 2.0 liter engine and 95 horses is hard to handle it's a beast, haha not hardly,but PM me sometime and we can talk,
Old 01-06-2005, 08:25 PM

and oh yeah, there is a small hole in the radiator, but nothin major there's a radiator shop up the road can have it patched up in no time

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by pooptown; 01-08-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:10 AM

hello everybody, just wondering if anybody could help me out with prices of a rebuilt engine, or could let me know where to look, thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pooptown
hello everybody, just wondering if anybody could help me out with prices of a rebuilt engine, or could let me know where to look, thanks
Well a rebuild kit runs around $300-500 depending on how much extra stuff you get with the kit, not including labor... a lot of people suggest to just get a used, running DE from someone who's swapped to SR or is parting out since a working motor usually runs in the $250 range. Swapping in a DE (or going from E to DE) is be cheaper and easier altogether