NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

SAFC tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:18 AM

SAFC tuning

I know that to get a good tune you need a dyno. That being said I just got an SAFC2 and I'm interested in trying to get some good settings on there for a bit more HP and effeciency. I havn't been able to find much info on this around the web or on different 240 sites. I don't expect any huge gains. Right now I have it set as hotwire type 4 4, 1 1 with low throttle at 39% and high at 40% I found these settings on the web as something to start out with. Does anyone have experience with tuning an safc on a NA KA? Any advice or increasing or decreasing fuel at any specifc RPM's? Good high and low throttle percentage settings?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:32 PM

Hard to say it would vary with modifications. I am taking mine into a dyno pretty soon. The only advice that I can give you on increasing and decreasing fuel is do not exceed +/-30% on the KAde ecu's, you can fry the ecu or the safc, it's to far out of the TTP. you will want to run less fuel in the lower RPM's the KAde ecu runs pretty rich with it's stock tune until about 2600RPM. Leaning out the engine in the lower RPMs, will increase your HP just a tad about 3~5HP.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:21 PM

Thanks Vinnie. I installed it NYE and tweaked with a bit new years day... down about 2% on the lower end and sloped up about 7% the high end. I've got a cai and no cats... just installing it with stock settings makes the 240 run a lot more smoothly. Any advice about high and low throttle percentage?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

personally i would wait for the dyno, or get a wideband... its really hard for anyone to help a whole lot over the internet. Vinnie can give you good advice, but in the end, that dyno time is what is going to make your car run better/gain power
Old 01-02-2006, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by nsn240
personally i would wait for the dyno, or get a wideband... its really hard for anyone to help a whole lot over the internet. Vinnie can give you good advice, but in the end, that dyno time is what is going to make your car run better/gain power
^See my first sentence.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Enlefo
^See my first sentence.
ok? i also saw all the other sentences and gave my opinion on them...
Old 01-02-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Enlefo
Thanks Vinnie. I installed it NYE and tweaked with a bit new years day... down about 2% on the lower end and sloped up about 7% the high end. I've got a cai and no cats... just installing it with stock settings makes the 240 run a lot more smoothly. Any advice about high and low throttle percentage?
Sounds like almost what I had. I kept mine easy and ran 5% in the lowend, and ran 10% in the high end, just to test the SAFC. First I tried 0 and 10% just out of fear that I had no clue what I was doing (still have no clue really). I disconnected my SAFC in SEPT. Smogged my car in Sept, and have been too lazy to reconnect SAFC since. In all reality I should of ran atleast a -2% in the low end to decrease an already rich injection (come to think of it). In the hi throttle of 10% I could defenitely feel an increase in acceleration. I know i was a bit rich from the amount of smog coming out the back of the exhaust.
Can't really tell you to much, I really won't know how to fully use the equipment until I am on the dyno you do need some kind of graph to follow in order to set your curve. It's all about fine tunning some numbers, in order to get the throttle correction down. I truely won't understand the throttle correction until I am on the dyno. I do know some basic guidelines to follow......

Chapter 5 in the instruction book breaks down pretty well how to calculate the throttle correction. You may have to read over it a few times, and actually read as you tune (on the dyno).