NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Spit spat sputter sputter

Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 AM
joh

Spit spat sputter sputter

I know this has been covered several times in this forum, but i was wondering if this might apply to me in this given situation. For a while now my 240 will die while braking or slowing down, the lights will go really dim and it sputters down and dies. Other times it idles real low and sputters but it idles back up when i get on the gas. I was thinking it may be my fuel pump, filter, or altenator. I'm really pulling a dead end here, any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

sounds like the alt. but only becasue of the lights dimming.

but both can be checked really easy.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:33 PM

fuel filter. i bet it's still the stocker. And if it's not, this is the cheapest to check. Could also be your battery (not alternator). If it was the alternator, your battery would die and never come back. The fact that it runs fine at high rpm's leads me to think that your battery is bad and runs off of the alternator. The bad battery can't hold a charge, so it dies when the alternator slows down at idle.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

id say alternator. things seem to be fine during higher revs and bad at idle or lower revs. not to big on electricity but id guess youd get a higher output when its spinning faster, lol. prob using all the power its got left. but yea. you alt is about to take a dump all in you bay and leave you stranded. fix that shiat. hahahahah
Old 07-09-2007, 06:31 PM
joh

i've put a new battery in the car and it still acts up, btw, where is the fuel filter located?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 PM

sounds like alternator, if ur giving it gas then there more tension and its giving the alt a chance to charge , but at low rpm less tension and less charge hence the dimming, i would say first check the tension on the belt for ur alt, if thats fine, then id say pull the damn thing and get it checked at autozone or something
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by joh
i've put a new battery in the car and it still acts up, btw, where is the fuel filter located?
The fuel filter is located inside the engine bay on the passenger side strut tower, kind of beside the engine.