NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Timing Chain Cover aka= front cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:26 AM

Timing Chain Cover aka= front cover

SO my front oil seal on my 96 240sx K series motor has gone bad bla bla bla. ANyone on here ever remove the front cover or change the front oil seal. DO you have to remove the oil pan. Its my understanding that the oil pump is attached to the back of the front cover. But I've been using th chiltons manual and the 240sx owners manual from online and they say nothing about having to remove the oil pan. Well i've stripped the front down and it seems as if the bottom of the front cover is loose but still not coming off. I'm figuring the oil pumps not clearing the oil pan. So is CHilton really that stupid that they left out such a major step or am I a DUmbass who should stick to running mixing boards for live bands, and stop trying to be a home mechanic.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Rob
Old 09-11-2004, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

there are two bolts that hold the oil strainer to the front cover,
you have to drop the oil pan to get to them
Old 09-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Timing Chain Cover aka= front cover

Originally posted by Sleeper
SO my front oil seal on my 96 240sx K series motor has gone bad bla bla bla. ANyone on here ever remove the front cover or change the front oil seal. DO you have to remove the oil pan. Its my understanding that the oil pump is attached to the back of the front cover. But I've been using th chiltons manual and the 240sx owners manual from online and they say nothing about having to remove the oil pan. Well i've stripped the front down and it seems as if the bottom of the front cover is loose but still not coming off. I'm figuring the oil pumps not clearing the oil pan. So is CHilton really that stupid that they left out such a major step or am I a DUmbass who should stick to running mixing boards for live bands, and stop trying to be a home mechanic.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Rob
Chilton books aren't as specific as FSMs. They're like "cliff notes" for specific cars, IMO