NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

timing chain fix....then broke..raine

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 AM

timing chain fix....then broke..raine

hey guys, heres the introduction

initial problem: i heard a small tapping noise at idle. It was so light that i even thought it was a spark plug wire tyring to spark and that was were the click/rattle was coming from. Also:

every time i would accelerate i would hear like a click click clickk clickkk and then goes away after i accelerate further. I can only hear this sound when i'm around cars or walls so the sound bounces of it to me

Fixing the problem: now i thought it was the timing chain, so i took off the valve cover and front cover and removed the top guide and the side guide. The tensioner seemed fine in the fact that it could move freely....but not that feely. As in it could move if i pushed it hard enough to the left

Observation: from what i saw there was some slack on the chain between the two cam gears where the upper timing chain guide used to be. It was in a very slight U shape. Is that normal??

End results: So now i put everything back togethor and now when i start my car and start to accelerate there is LOUD rattling noise when i hit about 1800 rpms. The wierd part is that after hearing it the first time it doesn't come back until i turn off the car and start it again. but there is not rattling at idle now. And that damn clicking/rattle noise is still there when i accelerate, its quite slight though but it worries me

conclusion: my tensioner is not free moving enough, since it is working that must mean there must be a significant amount of oil pressure for the tensioner to start working(since its oil activated) and the light clicking/rattle noise i'm hearing when accelerating i'm assuming is the lower timing chain guide hitting against the coolant passage or could even be something else all togethor

help: Raine i used your guide to the full extent. so please help me out bro. I did everything exactly from your garage guide. I don't understand why i'm getting this rattle noise at start-up and what the heck is the slight rattling/clicking noise when i accelerate.

I DID A SEARCH WHICH IS HOW I ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT cuz before this i knew jack crap
Old 04-23-2005, 11:25 AM

oh and i have a altima for parts. its a ka24de

can i take things out of there and put it in my car.. What parts can i do that with

can i use the altima tensioner or chain in my 240sx?

i have a dohc