NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 09:29 AM

Exclamation What can I do?

Ok, I come from the old school of building engines. Build it strong then build it up.

I have a 1990 2.4 litre I4 Non-turbo: I should be able to get about 190 horsepower or 142 kilowatts of energy out of it W/o turbo. Or am I whizzing on the 3rd rail here? What is the STOCK HP/Kw output on these anyway?

How strong are these engines?
What are their weaknesses? Oiling? Cranks? Headseal? Etc
Can they be overbored and how much?
Can oversized valves be installed in the heads?
Can the heads be extrude honed, ported and polished? if so how much until the water jackets are compromised?
How beefy are stock internals?
Are the fairly easy to balance and blueprint?

Are the transmissions stout enough to take this kind of power and more? After I build it up N/A, I may add a turbo in. Future final target is around 300 HP/224Kw max.

What say ye gents?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:53 AM

OK first off I don't know everthing but I do know this. 135 hp sohc, 145 hp dohc. These engines are very strong mechanically with most reaching 300k miles with little problems. However the power to weight ratio is not that impressive at all unless you are turboing in which case you can get 290 hp with 3.5 lbs of boost out of a sohc. The turboing is very touchy and expensive, you would probably do better getting a rebuilt j spec 2.0 dohc turbo that makes like 225 hp and weighs a lot less however they will take a lot less abuse too. You can port and polish the heads which is a real good way to increase power. Weak point I would have to say the head. The lower internals are extremely beefy compared to a 2.0 like in an eclipse or honda. If money is not the issue and you just want to make the most power check this out http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/ar...icle_187.shtml please don't delete this Mister Op because it is very informative. Hope I helped.

Last edited by Major Mayhem; 05-30-2003 at 12:55 AM.