NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

what should i use to clean my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:07 AM

what should i use to clean my engine.

Hey guys, since i just picked up my KaE, the engine is pretty dirty, it just has lots of dust and looks ugly nd iwant to get it cleaned, whats the best engine and engine bay cleaner that i can use, and also whercan i get it. Thans in advance.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

some dealers offer steam cleaning if youre lazy. but i use dilluted simple green and castrol super clean on the tough parts
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM

Hey, I've used Simple Green (available at most auto parts/cleaning dept.) it works really well. Spray it on after covering vital electrical components, then scrub a bit or just hose it off. Makes it smell nice too....ha!~
Old 10-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

if it's really bad use a silicone based degreeser and then start scrubbing. let it sit for about 15 mins then use a pressure washer on the soapy cycle and try to get everywhere. rinse it off then use a water based degreeser within a week or two and repeat. it'll look really good.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Enginebrite (2 cans), some hard brushes, and an afternoon.

Take your battery out for a good cleaning and less chance of slow-shorting (think hot 12v wire from battery to alternator + grounded engine block + water - you get the idea).

Also don't get water on your air filter, in the distrib, or in the plug wire openings.

Spray 1 can of enginebrite on, let it soak, then start brushing/scrubbing. Use more enginebrite if you need to on really dirty parts, then when you think you've hit all spots, rinse off with a hose (low pressure). I don't recommend high pressure washers because the high pressure can force water into places you don't want it to go to (like under the cap).

Make sure you rinse most of the enginebrite off, then towel dry EVERYTHING you can reach.

Doublecheck the distrib cap and spark plug openings for any water (use paper towels and a screwdriver to soak up any water in there).

Finish off by using some armor all or similar rubber rpotectant and wipe down all the hoses and rubber lines etc.

If you're really serious about cleaning and you take your time and do it right instead of doing a Mickey Mouse 20 minute job, you'll start with this (not my car; if it's yours, clean it!):

...and get something like this in the end (this one is my car):

blurry, but you can see what enginebrite and a scrubber brush can do (look at the intake manifold for example):

Damnit I should have done a writeup.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

if your motor looks like the first photo raine put up i also have a suggestion...

drive the car as normal... get it up to opperating temp while you are running to the super market... buy yourself 2 cans of eazy off oven cleaner... drive home... pop the hood and cover everything except for the distributor... spray both cans on the motor in every spot you can reach... let it sit for 20 min... then go back and hose it off... this will remove most of the hard stuff with little scrubbing...

finish with the engine brite like raine suggested...
Old 10-20-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

oven cleaner huh? Never heard of that, but I guess it makes sense. It should clean oil and grease just like the stuff it cleans in the kitchen. hmmm. Good one, gotta try it.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by wikd240
if your motor looks like the first photo raine put up i also have a suggestion...

drive the car as normal... get it up to opperating temp while you are running to the super market... buy yourself 2 cans of eazy off oven cleaner... drive home... pop the hood and cover everything except for the distributor... spray both cans on the motor in every spot you can reach... let it sit for 20 min... then go back and hose it off... this will remove most of the hard stuff with little scrubbing...

finish with the engine brite like raine suggested...
When you say "cover" i hope you mean cover it with cleaner, not cover it with a towel so the cleaner doesn't hit it.
lol, right?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

i mean spray the he!! outta it... then spray some more... i sued 4 cans to clean mine the first time... and left it running for about an hour after i sprayed it with the eazy off... bake that crap on then rins it off...
Old 10-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by wikd240
i mean spray the he!! outta it... then spray some more... i sued 4 cans to clean mine the first time... and left it running for about an hour after i sprayed it with the eazy off... bake that crap on then rins it off...
so you put cold water on a hot motor...
Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

i dont mean to start anything... but i have been spraying off hot motors for 20 years and have never had any problems... i have never caused any damage to any motor i have ever done this to...

now i would not spray cold water on a majorly overheated motor... but hosing one off that is at normal opperating temp has never caused me any problems... that is how i cooled my drag car at the track hundreds of times...