NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

WTB: 1989 KA24E Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 09:44 PM

WTB: 1989 KA24E Exhaust

Hey everyone, I think this might be my first post so here it goes....

I am about to buy a 1989 S13 Coupe locally from a guy in the Buffalo, NY area. The only problem is it is autotragic and is lacking a muffler at the moment. The guy that is selling it said he will reduce the price $500 for the missing muffler. The way I see it is $500 will buy a whole new exhaust minus headers if I play my cards right. Here is where you guys come in, does anyone have a Stainless Steel exhaust that they can recommend to me for around 500 bones? I would really like the Stainless because I live in Northern New York and we see alot of snow/salt and I want it to last as long as possible. I know I could research myself but I am not going to be able to hear the exhaust notes on a stock SOHC motor so I was hoping some of you have already installed different exhausts for this application.

I did some research and found a BRM exhaust on the Nico forums that is spec'd nicely for relatively cheap. I like this one in particular because it is a non-ricey sounding exhaust(I just don't want anything that sounds like a fart can is all). It is available in 2.25" or 2.5"(I don't need 3", even though it is available, because I have no plans for forced induction for a long while). I decided I would probably be happiest with a 2.5" because its not too big or small and I won't see a loss in power or anything. The Stainless Steel exhaust by itself is $430 but I also need a high flow catalytic converter to pass NYS emissions which they can add to the system for an additional $135. I would also add a 14" Stainless Steel resonator for $70 and get the available dual tips for another $30 to complete my BRM system. When all is said and done I guess I would be spending about $665 on this entire setup. The only problem is BRM is in a transitional period or something and the exhausts are not available for the time being and I would need an exhaust relatively soon.

My other option is to just buy a muffler for the time being but I have no idea what is good and bad muffler wise either. I want a nice sounding non-ricey muffler or exhaust, If anyone can recommend a nice non-fart can muffler or exhaust for me it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.