Northeast WV, PA, NY, NJ

Regional or National SCCA

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Regional or National SCCA

For this upcoming summer season for the SCCA I plan on participating in all of the events and my goal is to be in the top 30 in PAX. Just figured I'd make a thread for anyone in this region that is interested or has been in particpating in Autocross, AKA Solo II or any other SCCA events or track days for the matter. If we start to get a few responses (which unfortunetly i doubt) it would be cool to see what classes people are running in, with what car, and with what mods and how they are doing.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Ok I'm going to bump myself and try to get this moving. Note if you are interested in learning how to really push the limits of your car or to prove/test how good you think you are you should start racing in the SCCA.

Ok my story: I've raced a couple of times with my 240sx in the class called STS. Basically this is called the Street Touring Class and most of the people on this site with the mods that they have on their 240 would fit into this class. I always got my a$$ kicked because 1) I'm not good enough to match up evenly with the talent in this class 2) Most of the other drivers in this class are running WRX's and Impreza's so yeah....
Either way it was a hell of a lot of fun each time and you meet the people in your area that can really drive a car. Unlike the local speed shop punk that thinks Michael Schumaker is a loser and Jeff Gordon is God.
I don't plan on racing the 240sx anymore because I don't have enough money to get all of the parts to be competitive in STS class and even if I had all of the parts it would still be amazingly hard for me to even place well. Plus now that I have an SR20 on the way that would bump me into a class called AM. Which basically means I'm fu<ked hardcore by 600 whp Vetts.

So this year I'm going to race a car in HS (Lowest Stock Class) with a 1987 Volkswagon Jetta. It's nothing compared to my 240 but for this class it's a middle-weight contendor plus I have a friend that has won the 1st Place for 03' with this same car. (He can drive the shi7 out of a car.) Right now the car is completely stock but I'm looking to do the few mods allowed for the class. The first thing going on the car is a set of Falken Azenis on 14' rims. You have to remember that you have to use stock size rims. Then I'm going to get a externally adjustable shocks/struts probably Tockkio Iluminas, or KYB.
Those will probably come into play mid-season and right now I'm just doing normal maintaince and tunning. Flushing all of the fluids (will be my first attempt at a brake, and trans change), getting better spark plugs, and other than that just keeping the car in strong running order.

I hope this post gets viewed and creates an atraction for guys that really want to learn and become the best drivers they can be.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

I would be right there with ya, but PENNDOT doesnt seem to want to give my license back. I am thinkin of having someone else sign up and I will strap the helmet on and actually do the driving but I dont know if its worth the hassle. How lacks ar the officials at the events you go to?
Old 02-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

In all seriousness you could get away with that as long as you don't plan on becoming a regular. There are lots of officials at the events (The SCCA has an all volunteer army), but as long as you don't make a big deal about it and your friend doesn't mind...
Old 02-13-2005, 10:51 AM

once I get a little done to my car I wanna start getting into that type of stuff
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Contributing Member

which events are you going to and when is the first date you plan on attending? Maybe I will try it.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:32 AM

hey man i wanna get into this too.

but i'm sure my driving skills are horrible

i have a stock 240sx ...actually about to put on kyb agx with s-techs ..any ways i can could practice or participate in these events i would like to get started
Old 02-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet!! PM sent to kang.

As far as practice I would say the best way to learn how to lower your times is braking. So many people think that the accelerator is how you lower your times but if 70% of those people knew how to brake properly then they would be much better off. *Note I'm not perfect but I know where I'm weak and soooo many people don't think about braking skills. The first step to becoming stronger is identifing your weakness.

The first date of the Spring/Summer Season (for the Philadelphia Region) is 4/3/05. It will be held at Ripken Stadium see www.phillyscca.com for directions. To give you a rough guess it takes about 1-1.5 hours to get down there from my area (think around King of Prussia).
Old 03-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

bump and for whoever cares, the Philidelphia region has posted it's complete schedule at the website in the above post. Hope to get some 240sx guys out there and competing!!