Southeast FL, GA, SC, AL, LA, MS, TN

Need Help For A Possible Event-SCCA RallyX

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Need Help For A Possible Event-SCCA RallyX

Hey there 240 lovers, things are about to get very serious in the South East region of the US for both SCCA and NASA members. I just got the insurance clearance from Drift 411 to go ahead and start organizing events and that was all I've been waiting for.

What I have planned is a Rallycross event and I just need to know how many would be interested in participating in this event.

Right now, I don't have a specific time because I don't know who would be interested to even pursue this, but I assure all that it's good, high precision, low speed fun.

For those who do not know what rally cross is, it's basically autocross but in a grassy or slightly dirt/muddy field.

Here's what we are told to tell our students in accordance with the SCCA's statutes:
---------------------------------------------------------

RallyCross is not only the most widespread and readily accessible form of Sports Car Club of America extreme dirt motorsport, it is the logical first step for an aspiring rally driver. Imagine a scaled down version of a performance rally stage laid out on a non-paved plot of land where the course is delineated by traffic cones instead of trees or rocks. The entry fees and equipment requirements are considerably less than those necessary to enter any other forms of performance rally, so in most locations one need only arrive at event registration with a sound, hardtop vehicle and the entry fee. Many SCCA Regions have helmets to loan and will assist the first time competitor with entering the appropriate class, making their way through technical inspection and finding their way around the course. Best of all, it's great fun!

RallyCross is the most cost effective way to gauge a driver's interest and aptitude for "doing it in the dirt." RallyCross classes are tailored for local entrants but usually categorize cars according to number of driven wheels, engine capability and the style of tires mounted. Unlike Solo, a similar competition staged on paved surfaces, where an entrant's ranking is based on the single fastest run, RallyCross competitions are usually judged on the total of multiple runs.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Basically, all I need to know now is, if we can arrange the date and place of the event in a centralized location and within a time frame that YOU can work with, would YOU be willing to participate in an event like this.

I did a little digging and here is a video from Google Video of what an SCCA and NASA sponsored Rally-X (rallycross) event would be like:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...903018591058&q

As you can see there is little to NO danger when participating in an event such as this, no trees, no bushes, no cliff faces, nothing that would put your car in any real danger other than getting a little dirty. Oh yeah, and the opportunity to get your car more sideways then it's ever been before.

So think about it and let me know if you are willing to, or if you know anyone that's willing to, participate in an event like this.

It's important that I know who would be willing to do this because that will determine whether or not we continue to pursue events like this in the future.

Thank you all very much, honestly,

-Dave
Old 04-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

cool info brother
Old 04-07-2007, 08:12 AM

That's awesome! I wish I was farther down south!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Actually, I'm also founder and co-owner of an organization known as The Mid-Atlantic North East Drivers Association. We specialize in all forms of motorsport as well.

If you are still interested in setting something up, let me know! I have a LOT of contacts in the north and if you wouldn't mind becoming one of them as well, I would like to go ahead and possibly set something up.

-Dave
Old 04-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, I know you from Drift411. Haha! Hi! Hopefully I'll be able to drive out to some of these events, school pending.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:48 PM

excellent, so what do you guys think of something like this, I mean a rallycross, if we were able to put one on in a time frame in which you would be able to compete, would you attend?

-Dave
Old 04-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

I mean, I'll be honest with you, I'd like to ATTEND to be able to really see what it's like, but I don't think my car is well suited for the terrain.

I'd like to be able to participate in more events though. How do I become a NASA or SCCA member?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 AM

Simply enough . . join.

www.scca.org click on Members and then click on Join Now, it's about 65 bucks a year for a basic crew membership.
http://www.nasaproracing.com give them a looksee as well, just as easy to join and equally as challenging. I'm not sure about the level of events, however, although I do know a lot of fellow SCCA members are also joining the NASA.

-Dave

Last edited by USMCDrifter; 04-08-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Ah, thats it, huh? Do you happen to know of a helmet that would meet the requirements of both clubs, or would they be different? I don't know if you're a member or anything, just wondering if you knew off the top.

I will do some digging around otherwise. Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:29 PM

the standard as of 2005 for both the NASA and SCCA is a SA2005 or better, the 2000 is no longer acceptable.

-Dave