Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

For all the California Members Who Pay Attention

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

For all the California Members Who Pay Attention

We all know that the governor signed an executive order yesterday. Part of that order was to initially (under all of our assumptions) to suspend all part time, retired annuitant and student aids from working until we have a signed budget.

Well, I show up to work this morning to find out that personnel was given directives from the governor's office to terminate ALL of those employees mentioned above. Which meant that I had to contact every single one of them and basically serve them with their papers.

I just "fired" 38 employees in one day. I'm starting to hate this job seeing as they did nothing wrong yet I am the one to fire them because legislators cannot pass a stupid budget that was given to them at the beginning of the year. Lets not forget to blame voters for not understanding what they are voting on, leading to special interest parties being able to lock up more money for their use instead of allowing the state to have discresionary funds to save this state from going under.

Many people have asked "why cant we just cut the pay of legislators then? Why punish those who do the work for them?"

Simple, legislators over the years have created laws behind the scenes to protect their pay and their benefits. There are laws that protect them from losing anything if there is to be huge spending cuts all across the board. Theres even two laws in existence that allows them to freely vote for their own pay raises with no significant cap on each raise, and how many they can vote on in a year.

Sorry, just had to vent... I hate "punishing" those who have nothing to do with the problem.