Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

College Majors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

^ so what did you do instead?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

Im a senior and Im stuck as what to do...Im king in math in calculus right now...what options do I have? I better figure it out quickly...
Old 10-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

go to college, have fun but DO go to your classes (so that you keep your grades in at least decent shape in case you want to transfer and so that it won't kill your graduating GPA). Take whatever classes interest you~ if you're good at math then the engineering classes won't be so hard for you. If you can afford to live on campus, do that for freshman year~ great opportunity to meet people and will be fun. You don't really have to set yourself a major until 3rd year or so...
Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
go to college, have fun but DO go to your classes (so that you keep your grades in at least decent shape in case you want to transfer and so that it won't kill your graduating GPA). Take whatever classes interest you~ if you're good at math then the engineering classes won't be so hard for you. If you can afford to live on campus, do that for freshman year~ great opportunity to meet people and will be fun. You don't really have to set yourself a major until 3rd year or so...
Thanks for the advice...I think Im just going to go locally to a state university....its close to home...
Old 10-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Art Center is REALLY competitive. even to get accepted.....
Old 10-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by re037
Art Center is REALLY competitive. even to get accepted.....
True... very true... to get in any half decent car design program, you gotta know how to draw like nobody's business. You actually don't have to know that much about cars~ except how to draw them better than everybody else...
Old 10-10-2005, 01:32 PM

I was going to do criminal justice and go for a CSI-type of job.. but it wasn't family-friendly. It's one of those on call 24/7 jobs.

So, I decided to go with meterology. I have a big interest in all of that weather stuff.. so, I figure, what the heck?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Good luck with the weather thing, this we could use people that can actually predict the weather with some degree of accuracy. Or you could also be an environmentalist, best bet there would be to try to be a part of a government regulator agency.

About the car stuff, it depends on how you want to work on cars. Mech. Engineering is a great way to get into the automotive industry. But beware those that struggle in physics and math, because this majors demands high amounts of both.

If you want hands on, I'd recommend getting close to a shop owner if possible and at the same time attending a Trade school. If you go to a reputable trade school and graduate, your degree will help you get higher position and pay. I say get close to a shop owner because real work is sometimes not the same procedure you'd learn in a classroom.

Also about the drawing thing, that's great if you can draw, however most developers work with AutoCAD, which basically is the shiznt for designing anything. If you are skilled in AutoCAD you won't have to have good free hand skills. Plus i'm not sure how often car compaines hire new people to design there new cars. Free hand would be good there, but i would think that these guys are beyond most normal peoples ability in drawing. Plus like how long would you have a job. "Here Bob take a look at my l337 drawing." "That really isn't what we're looking for Steve. Sorry your fired. Take your crap and stop dating my daughter." lol

For those of you that are undecided and have strong science skills I would recommend being a pharmacist. No joke. These guys can get a starting salary of 90-100K a year. Not bad at all. We have a national shortage which is expected to grow, so the job market will be huge.

Personally I'm going for my Chemical engineering degree. I find it fun, and I'll probably try to get my masters at the same time as my bachelors. It helps the pay grade go up a little bit but mainly just helps me get hired right away. Plus Chem. Engineering is everywhere, i'll never have to worry about finding a job.

Anyone who has questions about most engineering majors i could lend advice to if needed. Shoot me a pm. If i don't know i'll ask one of my friends in the major.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by twofotisx

Anyone who has questions about most engineering majors i could lend advice to if needed. Shoot me a pm. If i don't know i'll ask one of my friends in the major.
Do you know what schools in Cali have good mech E graduate programs and what type of entrance exams are required? especially USC, UCLA, or Stanford?

*edit* also yeah cad skills are necessary for car design, but freehand drawing skills are still essential~ it's the basic foundation upon which you build upon. You can communicate concepts through sketches far faster freehand than cad.

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 10-10-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

umm, sat or act will do (1230 and 32 over here )

gpa should be decent enough with a 3.8 for ucla, usc and stanford. i had a 4.1, got accepted by usc but didnt get in stanford or ucla. musta been my lack of teacher reccomendations. oh yeah get reccomendations! i ended up going to uci cus i didnt want to take out so many loans for usc. onyl goto usc if you ahve a plan, unlike my older sis who did graduate from usc but ended up going back to a trade school for nursing. extra curricular stuff is kinda important. also, personal statement cant be halfed-assed either.

i went to uci for 2 years before taking a 2 year break to figure out my life. now im trying for the trans design at art center. and yeah you either have it or you dont; and if you dont, youre gonna be playing catch up for a while. it all depends on how abd you want it. been drawing since i was 7 so its my passion. i dont regret going to uci, cus everyone should at least goto to college for a year just to get a perspective on life and the world. plus you meet so many different people. but yeah, portfoilio requirements are kinda strict so ive been building up my projects since last summer. ill be applying for next summer soon.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 PM
PNG

Hell, if you can express yourself in writing half-way decently, you can always lower yourself to my level and get a job as a magazine editor. Being able to take pictures is a plus, too.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by re037
umm, sat or act will do (1230 and 32 over here )

gpa should be decent enough with a 3.8 for ucla, usc and stanford. i had a 4.1, got accepted by usc but didnt get in stanford or ucla. musta been my lack of teacher reccomendations. oh yeah get reccomendations! i ended up going to uci cus i didnt want to take out so many loans for usc. onyl goto usc if you ahve a plan, unlike my older sis who did graduate from usc but ended up going back to a trade school for nursing. extra curricular stuff is kinda important. also, personal statement cant be halfed-assed either.

i went to uci for 2 years before taking a 2 year break to figure out my life. now im trying for the trans design at art center. and yeah you either have it or you dont; and if you dont, youre gonna be playing catch up for a while. it all depends on how abd you want it. been drawing since i was 7 so its my passion. i dont regret going to uci, cus everyone should at least goto to college for a year just to get a perspective on life and the world. plus you meet so many different people. but yeah, portfoilio requirements are kinda strict so ive been building up my projects since last summer. ill be applying for next summer soon.
umm... I already finished my undergrad... Was wondering if you have any info about their Graduate school programs.

*edit* I completely agree with you on the college for at least one year thing, but I also recommend a year away from school or after school of just hanging out or traveling to give thought to setting a "plan". Good luck on the app'z, post some stuff from your portfolio when you get the chance. I'm sure you have some good stuff in there~

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 10-11-2005 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

whoops, musta read that too quick. well in that case dont really know for sure. i'd love to spend a year to travel tho but cant afford anything pretty much right now

edit: oh yeah ill get pics up as soon as i find my digicam. someone clean my room

Last edited by re037; 10-12-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

hmm..... about the graduate i'm not too sure, I'm only going into my third year so I'm not quite there yet, i meant to answer most peoples general starting questions if possible. Sorry if I mislead you on that one.

So yeah i'm not sure about that....
Old 10-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

s'all good... I was just asking 'cuz I've been too busy/lazy to do my own research on the subject...