Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Old manager fighting for me to come back to job

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 AM

Old manager fighting for me to come back to job

I recently quit my full-time job. I worked Monday-Friday from 8am-6pm, but I had to get my plates and license switched over to Arizona. They wouldn't give me time off, so I had no choice but to put in my notice. Before I left, my manager was negotiating pay with me. I made $7.50/hr just to cashier at a car wash 50 hrs a week. He wanted to give me $8/hr. He just called me 5 mins ago and said if I came back, he would pay me $8.50/hr instead.

As much as that would be really good pay for what kind of job it is, I don't know what to do. I was not happy at that job. All I did was sit on my *** for 10 hrs a day and listen to the radio. Pretty boring if you ask me. It was fun while it lasted, but you can only have "fun" for so long doing nothing for 10 hrs straight basically.

Right now though, I work two part-time jobs. It isn't much, but it's better than what I was doing. I'll be waitressing in a couple of weeks after it gets done being built. Yeah, it's still in the process of being built and all that fun stuff. Then, I work a very part-time job in the mall. I can make more than $8.50/hr waitressing. I can make tips like it's nobodys business. I used to do it a year ago.

I really do not know what I am rambling on about anymore. I was just confused and can't figure out why my ex-manager is still calling me after two weeks of quitting the job and still trying to negotiate pay with me.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Not to be rude or anything, I know what it's like to have two-part time jobs and going to school at same time, but as a cashier at Home Depot I make $11 an hour. So maybe give that a shot if there are any Home Depots around you. Or just ask him for a really high amount and see if he says yes. But otherwise if you can put up with the people in restuarants I'd go for that.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:40 PM

Well, making $8.50/hr to cashier at a car wash is like hitting the jackpot. I do not expect him to pay me more than $9/hr for the time being. Home Depot would be cool, because they wouldn't have the Christmas crowd.. or would they? I don't think someone is going to buy a bunch of ply wood for a Christmas gift? Haha. I really do not want my job in the mall since it's a store that will get hit hard during the holiday.

I have a few things on my list for pros/cons for going back to the car wash if I did. I would get free car washes/waxes/buffs/paint sealent, whatever I wanted basically.. and all for free.. no charge. But then again, the hours are long and it's kind of boring. It also sucks if I need a day off during the week, the chances of that happening are very slim. So, it's a huge inconvience for me.

I don't know. This is just one of those things I need the rest of the day to think about. So much is going on right now anyway. They are messing up my brain.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

forget the old job if you weren't happy. There's a million other things you can be doing better than the old job.

I used to work at a car wash (first job, actually) and guess what - no room for advancement. What the hell are you gonna advance to? Head of wheel detailing? LOL

Car wash job is temp, no matter how long you're there... meaning you can't make a career out of it.

Home Deopt job I heard was decent + benefits + you can advance if you aim to, unlike mall jobs.

Or you can think of it this way:

Hi my name is Jessica, and I'd rather have:

a) a job where I can get free car cleaning stuffs, but I'm not really happy there

b) a job where I can afford car cleaning stuffs because I get paid more and it beats sitting on my *** all day at a car wash

? =P
Old 10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind... life is short, stay happy and away from things that make you unhappy. Home Depot is a decent job, but they do drug testing... which wouldn't be a problem if ur clean... lol.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:02 PM

The car wash I would be working at offers full benefits. I could be promoted to assitant manager or manager. I would not actually ever wash the cars myself. That's not for me.

I wouldn't do it all the time anyway. I would keep it temporarily until I was done with school and found something in my career field. Ya know?

At least I would be getting 10 hrs of over time ever week.. and my checks would be $940 before taxes. And that's for being a cashier who does nothing all day but calls radio stations trying to win tickets to concerts.

I've been thinking about going back. Maybe I just needed a "break" from the place and I got it. That's probably all I needed. I've just been way stressed lately anyway. As soon as this week is over though, I should be full of energy again and never be home.

Such hard decisions. I'm not even working much right now anyway. The mall job schedules me stupid 3 hr shifts.. c'mon, seriously.. do people actually waste their time with 3 hr shifts? I know I wouldn't. I'm only there for the discounts anyway.

Blah.. such stupid crap to deal with.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

If you are young and a lady, Waitressing is the way to go. Tips + Salary = A Lot of money for you age.

There's also Data Entry, I have a friend who's in data entry and he makes $18/hr. Sounds fair to me.

But if you are willing to go to school, for say 6 months, Medical Billing/Coding is the way to go. It's guaranteed $25+/HR, and they get hired like crazy.

If you're lucky you can even get free schooling, like an adult education school.

There's alot of opportunities in life, sometimes you don't wait for 'em to knock, but instead call em out and force 'em in.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:54 PM

I can relate- I had a job that was paying me $15/hr at a Children's Hospital, and it was a stable job, but I was working there for a year and since I started out as a Temp there for the first 6 months, I had only 6 months working, and I was burned out from the work- I had to request authorizations from patients' insurance for office visits and diagnostic procedures, and our clinic saw 1000 patients a month, and about 35% of those patients fell under my alphabet. I needed a vacation so bad, and I would ask for the days before holidays and stuff, but they would always tell me no. I had so much work, I would get to work at 7am, not leave till 9pm, and still took work home to do and not actually sleep till like 3am. I finally quit, and I've been doing bartending and other various odd jobs ever since.
(Anyone in the SoCal area need a very well-qualified Administrative Assistant?)

Moral of the Story- No matter what a job pays, or what they offer you, if you're not happy there, then there is no point to staying, because you're only making yourself miserable and depriving yourself the chance at finding a better opportunity.