Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

importing a skyline

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 07:59 PM

That is not true, It takes alot of research and time to correct what needs to be done. Others can do it, Why do you think that Motorex is the only company that can do it? How do you figure this? Give me a resonable explanation on why and I will consider it, but the shop I am working at is currently working on getting them legal. It takes alot of money and research to even get close.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:44 AM

i remember night7crapsomething said the same thing, and look where he is now. only motorex can do it legally.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:02 AM

So honestly, Ya'll don't belive it can be done? I tried to tell you in a nice polite manner and that did not work, so if I want to prove you wrong I guess it takes me being a dick.That is exactly why ya'll will never import Skylines. How about we have three here already, will this get my point across.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:18 PM

It can not be done. It doesn't matter if you are a dick or not. It just cant be done.
Originally posted by srslider
...we have some coming to the US. It really takes alot of work to make them legal. Not just anybody could do it...
You may have some coming to the US, but YOU can't get them legal! Dream on!

Last edited by gladhatter; 12-05-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:46 PM

to add to the fire ... i don't see why you guys won't even give a nod to zephyr!

i can see what glad is saying to a certain extent : you can import a skyline with corporate sponsorship meaning the corporation "owns" the skyline for show use or whatever. but then glad says other than that, motorex can only do it. ok, i would take the 'other than that' as being motorex is not going to corporate sponsorship route and you're actually obtaining your OWN skyline. ok...

what SIN points out is that only motorex can do it because "1- they've crash tested them to proove these cars are safe for United States standards. 2- they "detune" them to pass smog in all 50 states." yeah, i can see that as far as getting them legally imported, but i ask why can't zephyr's shop do that?

i guess i don't see why motorex is highly elite to be the ONLY place in all of the US that is even qualified to "detune" a car. i think SIN's first response of "proving their safety" would only have to be proven once.

i'm not trying to take sides, i haven't really been presented with any "facts" in this thread besides "no it can't" "yes it can", but more power to ya zephyr if you can do it! that'd be NICE
Old 12-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

look people MOTOREX is the only place that can do it for personal use.

PERIOD
Old 12-05-2004, 10:02 PM

well, another post that clains "only motorex"

http://www.motorex.net/common_asked.html

by that, i guess motorex is the ONLY company that will EVER be able (even in the future) to own a license or whatever to import. and be able to fill out paperwork.

i'm talking in future tense. you're all right that motorex is the ONLY place that can CURRENTLY do it, but that doesn't mean other people can't do it in the future....
Old 12-06-2004, 01:13 AM

No one else has been certified to have done all that is necessary to register Skylines.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Do you have any Idea what has to be done to register skylines? There are over 3,500 pages of Federal Documents that have to be gone thru. Motorex has only made it harder not impossible. That is there whole theory. Make it where people think it can't be done. No one else has been certified where? to do what? Registering skylines is not the hard part. Its all the other legal paperwork.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by srslider
Registering skylines is not the hard part. Its all the other legal paperwork.
...and all that paperwork HAS to be done. Nobody is ABLE to get a Skyline registered without help from Motorex! NOBODY!! It sucks but it is just the way it is. Get it through your head.
[EDIT:] [QB]NOBODY[/QB]
There IS an exception...If you have corporate sponsorship, you can have it registered in the company's name as a demo/show vehicle. Then ALL requirements for DMV are waved. You are, however restricted on mileage.[/EDIT]

If you think YOU are gonna do it, YOU are dreaming.

Lots of people talk junk on the internet about registering Skylines, but very few really seem to have a clue.

Last edited by gladhatter; 12-09-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:44 AM

hmmm, it has been way too many hours since the last entertaining segment in this post...so I'm going to break out a large spoon and try to stir it up some more....lol

1. I think it is reasonable to say that with the exception of some very rich person, most people would not have the resources to invest in importing a Skyline R34 GT-R

2. I notice from checking around that Motorex is thus far the only realistic way of getting one at this present time.

3. For the majority of us here, myself included, Motorex cars are beyond our budget. Otherwise most of us would probably be driving Skylines and this would be a different board.

4. The process involved in importing any car that was never designed for import to the United States is seriously involved, time consuming and expensive.

Having said all of this I will put forth the following statements.

1. Just because no one besides Motorex has successfully imported the Skyline for individual ownership does not mean that it is impossible for another company to do the same.

a. Another company would have to get past the tuning and emission standards required by the federal government. The fact that they were able to get them to pass would be, and I am sure it is, public information, however the means employed to get the cars to pass would be proprietary information covered by corporate confidentiality.

b. I believe that once crash tests have been performed on a vehicle, the information belongs to NHTSA and is logged into their information files. So crash tests that were performed by Motorex and submitted to the federal government should be available by the "Freedom of Information Act" as it pertains to public safety rather than corporate confidentiality.

I addressed these issues as from reading this post these seem to be the biggest points made. I have submitted a request and will find out for sure about the crash test information and what access to that information would allow as far as use by other companies.

I also would like to know more information about the "contracts" that I read about concering that Motorex has these with the federal government providing that they would be the only company allowed to import Skylines. This would seem to fall into conflict with the anti-monopoly laws.

In closing I think that it is of bad form to constantly tell someone that something cannot be done when it has been accomplished by others. If we lived by that then we would never have been able to get amny of the engine options that are available for our cars. I know that for quite awhile I had been told that there was no way to put an RB26DETT into an S13 chassis and yet it has been done.

I hope this helps keep this lively debate alive and I will post any info I find out when it becomes available to me

Mike

Last edited by 240sxNLR; 12-10-2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:23 PM

i think glad was just saying motorex is the only one who has actually gone through ALLLLLL the documentation needed.

so, if it is a federal form, would it be online? i would think almost all government forms are online, but i could be very wrong.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:59 PM

Nice post Mike. Just one thing...NOBODY does R34s. NOBODY!

If you get the necessary stuff in line to import and legalize Skylines I would/will be the FIRST to congratulate and CHEER you on. I hate that MotorEx is the only avenue currently, but there is so much misinformation on the internet relative to the importation and legalization of Skylines that I feel compelled to point out nonsense. I HOPE you are not spouting nonsense.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:41 AM

thanks, am awaiting a return call today from the contact at NHTSA which should provide me with the complete regulations and any crash test info that is available...we'll see

Mike
Old 12-14-2004, 08:28 PM

OK, Thankyou 240sxNLR for actually understanding WTF is trying to be acomplished. I'm not on this forum trying to make enemys with any one. No as a matter of fact I am not "spouting nonsense". Honestly does any one else reading this topic have any idea on what it actually takes to make a Skyline legal? I know it is hard to belive and maybe it will actually take it being titled, registered, and drivable for ya'll to get the point. There are always loopholes. That is what makes the U.S. the U.S. Near Hiroshima? You have done a little bit of homework but never actually tried have you. Didn't think so. On that point how do you know whether it can be done or not. Have you yourself done in any way made a step toward importing a Skyline and making them legal. If you have I would like to know who you talked to, and exactly what they told you. My bet, you talked to the wrong people and were not very thourogh in the conversation. Not just any dumbass can import cars. Motorex made it that way.

Quick Reply: importing a skyline