Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

New skyline engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:12 PM

not ywt. nissan is keeping this whoel thing hush hush.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
well, from what i've heard, the GT-R could end up with one of the following engines:

- VQ33DETT (basically a destroked VQ35)
- VQ35DETT
- VK56DE (supposedly for North America)

even at this stage in the game, details are still sketchy. and i think NIssan is doing one hell of a job keeping things "hush-hush". as it stands, we really don't know what the body will look like, which engine it will come with, or even if North America will get screwed (engine wise) again as opposed to Asia, Europe, and Austraila. hell, for all i know it can have a twin charged, 3.7L VR7.
German companies, Toyota and HOnda are the best at hush-hush. Domestic companies let you in on the development process so it looks like they came up with new technologies and seems like they put a lot of work into it. Great marketing tool, actually.

Anyway, I think the SKyline will get a V8 because it's already certified. It's easier to maintain the emissions on, the people who can afford it are most likely people who will cross shop with the Corvette and grew up to the tune of Hemis, 350SBCs and Ford what-have-yous. THat way, it not only appeals to what they grew up on, but then they get Japanese reliability and awesome handling too. Car magazines don't take mods into account and most people don't either, unless it's a skip-shift feature. also, people don't care about technology as long as it works and the car does what they want, which is the reason wiyh the Corvette uses ***-backwards techonology and Porsche puts their drivetrain in backwards.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:12 PM

What exactly is ***-backwards about the corvette again? For an OHV powertrain, it's ultra cool, and just as strong as anything Nissan has ever built... they are a proven race car, you only need to look on Speedchannel or the internet to understand this. They may not be the best, but neither is Nissan. I like Nissan too, damnit.

V8 would be awesome in the a GT-R, but there wouldn't be much you could do to the motor outside of bolt on mods. But that doesn't mean that ther ecouldn't be bolt on supercharger kits or anything for it as there are for the 350Z. Obviously room is going to be an issue, but if people have already swapped RB's into the G35 chassis, then I doubt a supercharger on a V8 is going to be impossible.

Maybe thats how the GT-R should come... Supercharged V8.... that would definitely put the hurt on vette's and new Porsche's...
Old 08-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

i remember reading a nissan press release way back about their 180 plan and the end of s15 and r34. carlos ghosn said the next gtr benchmark will specifically be the next 997 gen 911 turbo. but they put the project on hold to make more profitable passeneger cars first. what do you expect from a car company billions of dollars in debt