Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Open source ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Open source ?'s

Just a quick research question. How many of you guys use open source products instead of some of the more popular and expensive alternatives. For instance, anyone use the GIMP instead of photoshop or open office instead of microsoft office. And if you do use open source products, which ones do you use and if you don't, why not. (i.e. what prevents you from changing)

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 PM

I personally prefer open source because it is usually community supported (users like us help each other to make a better experience) not corporate supported. I do not have much experience with many open source products, just Mac(FreeBSD) and Kubuntu linux. As far as ease of use, if you regularly use products like Photoshop and Microsoft office, going to something like gimp and open office may seem to be a downgrade. The open source products will get the job done but you find it to be more complicated. So if you are cheap like i am and don't need to use super advanced features only corporate can bring you, go for it.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Yar har fiddle dee dee... I am a pirate.

I haven't paid for software in yeeeears.

But then again, I'm in art school, so open source software usually isn't an option... you know you go to my school when Adobe CS3 is on your class supply list.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 PM

I'm asking this because I personally use only open source products (not MAC) for everything and 90% of the time open source is not only easier to use but also causes less headaches. (my Linux pc's hardly ever crash or hang. This can't be said for the windows pc's we run where I work) With that said I think the main reason people aren't switching from windows is because you stick with what you know. I admit I did have a hard time switching from photoshop to gimp but that was due to my familiarity with the former product. Now I wouldn't go back. Of course Linux is severely lacking in wireless support but that should change here pretty soon.

Aaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh left my vocabulary a few years ago when I took the plunge to open source but I do understand that notion. You should try out the Gimp, Inkscape and Blender or pirate away.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:44 PM

I tried gimp, and I'm just not good at it, since I am such an adobe based person. With my crazy schedule, I don't have time to learn a new program when I produce good work with what I know. Eventually I'll dabble around with it a big more, but for now..

AAAAAAAAARGHHH!!!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Yeah, Gimp is actually very powerful. My biggest complaint was that the layers box doesn't open automatically but once i found it I was golden. The next version is suppossed to have a single workspace, like photoshop so it should be easier to learn.