S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/)
-   -   S-Chassis.com Official Firearms Discussion Thread. (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/off-topic-22/s-chassis-com-official-firearms-discussion-thread-46634/)

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 07:58 PM

S-Chassis.com Official Firearms Discussion Thread.

Questions, comments, concerns, open discussion. Have fun!

I'm able to answer a good deal of questions, as the Marine Corps gave me a good amount of experience with a lot of different calibers, makes, models and variants. I've also been through extensive combat training both armed and unarmed and have been trained in personal protection.

JRamos is also a connoisseur of sorts with firearms and can answer many questions as well.

Let's get some discussion going.

So far, I've owned a Glock 17 9mm (of course). Sold it, fired roughly 1000-1200 rounds through it. Didn't modify it really, just added a laser.

I just recently purchased a Hi-Point .45ACP JHP. It's a fabulous firearm, lots of great reviews. The biggest complaint is the bulk, but it's been reviewed as super accurate, very smooth, not a lot of recoil for the firepower, and very reliable. It's also very affordable. For the price of many firearms, which may look better, you can get the same exact function, plus be able to buy another one, ammo, and extra magazines. LOL!

Carry on.... and keep it civil, they're just firearms.

jramosthe1st! 12-26-2009 09:01 PM

the only real complaint i have about hi point guns is that they are too top heavy (for lack of a better term at the moment) any one who's held one will know what i'm talking about. what i do like it how sturdy, reliable and accurate they are. plus they are not expensive at all.

i considered buying the the 995 you mentioned in the Christmas thread but i couldn't find one. i just don't want to have too many different caliber firearms. that's why i'm looking for a .357 lever action rifle so i can fire the same rounds in it and a revolver which will cut down on the cost of ammo.

it's funny that you should ask for the comments to be kept civil, becuase even when we're in disagreement, the gun owners i've dwelt with have been nothing but civil. i think all the negativity comes from the anti gun crowd, although there are some elitists on forums who will criticize every opinion contrary to theirs.

regardless if you chose to carry a 9mm, .357,.44, .45 or anything in between or grater, we're all on the same team.

shaban 12-26-2009 09:18 PM

Guns are bad, mkay.

jramosthe1st! 12-26-2009 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes they are.
Attachment 9171

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 09:32 PM

Magnum Research 5 Round 444 Marlin w/10" Barrel/Stainless Fi

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...1/49/49482.jpg

Ruger Super Redhawk .480 Ruger 9" Target Grey (KSRH-9480)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...KSRH-9480.jpeg

Taurus 2500109 M500 10" AS Raging Bull PT Matte Stainless

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/2500109.JPG

jramosthe1st! 12-26-2009 10:20 PM

i have a question about scopes for you dave. today i ordered a barska 3-12x scope for my ar. i have a barska 4x on my .22 caliber savage arms model 64. the scope is called plinker 22 becuase that's what it's intended for. with the scope i don't have any problems hitting 12ga shells at about 50 yards. so if i wanted to do the same thing with my ar at 200-300 yards or so i'd need a better scope.

my question is this, is there a basic rule of thumb when choosing the right scope for a specific distance?

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 10:25 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not that keen on scopes as I've never really used one. The USMC makes us qualify open sights from 150, 200, 300 and 500 yards. Yeah, M16A2, open sights, 500 yards . . .makes you feel like a badass for a bit.

There probably is a rule of thumb, I'll look around and see what I can dig up.

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 10:29 PM

Check this out . . .

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...objectID=29903

Picking the Right Scope written by Don Sangster

Not sure which scope to put on top of your old shooting iron? Here's what you need to know before you buy. . .

. . .The size and power of the scope you ultimately choose will depend on your firearm and the hunting you do (and the shooting situations you expect to encounter), but the rule of thumb is to buy the best scope you can afford. You won't regret it, and you'll think its money well spent when that big buck appears just before dark and you can see him clear as day through your scope.

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 10:35 PM

In turn, JRamos, I have a question for you, and it's gonna require some opinion along with fact.

I've never owned a .380 before, and have been looking at getting a small-form weapon once my concealed permit gets approved. Should I get a .380 or should I just get a 9mm. They seem to be the same price (ish), I know the .380 is just a shorter slower 9mm and I know that 9mm ammo is more plentiful and less expensive than .380. I just wonder what you would prefer and why. Something like a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Glock 26 9mm. You know what I'm saying? Something small, concealable that can be quickly drawn in case **** hits the fan when I'm bike riding at night or jogging early in the morning.

jramosthe1st! 12-26-2009 11:31 PM

you've already said everything i was going to say, yes both in essence are 9mm rounds but the luger rounds slightly more powerful than that kurz. the comparison isn't all the same, but i equate them to the .22lr vs the .22 short. i deiced to go with the 9mm luger just because they are easier to find. .380 rounds are a bit scarce online and locally.

generally speaking .380 guns tend to be a bit smaller than 9mm so depending on the size of your hand that may or may not be a problem. other than that, for a cc either or should be fine imo.

btw that link helped but i'm still not sure about the scope i got. my problem is that i don't have a rear sight so it's a bit more challenging to hit targets at greater distances. any decent scope should allow me to line up properly hopefully it will be suitable for the distances i have in mind.

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 11:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah, looking at the specs you put down, it should be fine on up to 100yds. You're probably a better shot than you think, so if you get it sighted in (preferably at a gun shop) then you should be good to go by keeping scope picture centered on the cross hairs :)

And yeah, I'm usually all about caliber, because the only thing more scary than this:

Attachment 9169

Is this:

Attachment 9170

Gyah, I love that light . . .

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic with the flash so you can see the light . . .mostly

It's just a standard Super-Brite LED flash light, carried weak-hand using the wrist for strong-hand support aim.

Attachment 9168

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Jesus . . .how do you tend to stand when you fire? Like if you're in a situation where you can draw and not immediately fire such as the range or home protection. As you can see, I stand weaver-isosceles. It's funny, because I was one of the only officers to stand like that. Most MP's, CRF and Camp Guard stand isosceles.

USMCDrifter 12-26-2009 11:59 PM

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-c...iflescope.html

I'm Google Searching "Choosing The Right Scope"

These seem pretty helpful, if you have any doubts, I would say contact a local hunting or competition shooting club and talking to an instructor. Contact your local NRA Chapter and talk to their rifle experts or, if all else fails, get in good with your local Police Department/Sheriff's Office and talk to their S.W.A.T team. All of these people will be MORE than happy to share information with you, I'm sure.

Biggamehit 12-27-2009 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9167

USMCDrifter 12-27-2009 01:00 AM

LOL! Whatever . . .I'm the guy with the .45 . . .I win . . .

HKST04Z 12-27-2009 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9166

USMCDrifter 12-27-2009 08:35 AM

House . . . .ROADHOUSE

That too . . .

USMCDrifter 12-27-2009 09:31 AM

Here are some AWESOME videos that should (HOPEFULLY) put an END to the Mobility vs Firepower (large bore vs small bore firearms) debate.

This guy has over 19 years in the military, has been doing weapons testing, training and reviews for a long time and knows his stuff. Let's give them a watch.

battosaii930 12-27-2009 02:37 PM

well for home protection i wanted firepower and mobility in small spaces so for me a .45 handgun is perfect thats why i want to buy a Glock 21

USMCDrifter 12-27-2009 03:04 PM

You know, a .45 isn't necessary . . .Nor is buying a high-priced brand like Glock . . .A Sigma .40 would be more than enough for the firepower factor and is probably a smaller weapon than that of the Glock 21.

If you MUST spend a lot of money, Glock makes small-frame .40 and .45 weapons.

Check out these vids:

That dude is awesome, he's law enforcement AND military . . .good times!

Here's another weapons expert I like to watch a lot.

Armed with the information from the previous expert, check this out from him:

battosaii930 12-27-2009 07:07 PM

well why would i need a small frame glock? the only reason why this gun would leave the house is to go to the range and i have large african basketball gripping hands so a small frame dosnt sound all that comfortable for me.

USMCDrifter 12-27-2009 09:21 PM

I was just putting options up in the air dude. It's a firearms discussion thread . . . :)

jramosthe1st! 12-27-2009 10:21 PM

after watching his (nutnfancy) keltec pf9 review i decided that that would be my concealed carry pistol. it has all the characteristics that i was looking for. about 90% of the time i hustler it and have it clipped on the on the back of my pants. if i'm wearing jeans i tend to just put it in my back pocket. the rest of the time, which is not too often, i carry my taurus pt92 in a shoulder hustler.

both are 9mm, but the taurus is a full size pistol that i find to be too big to comfortably carry any other way than in a shoulder holster. i'm only 5'7" and about 170lbs so i don't find it too convenient to carry a full size pistol when i have a small frame pistol of the same caliber. what i'm getting at it that people should carry what is best suited for them.

i find the pf9 to be just a bit small for my hands so i'm sure adam would have a hard time with it. the pt92 is a tad larger, especially with the pachmayr grips i bought for it. i can grip it fine but it's a bit too bulk for me to carry so i've sure adam would need a large frame gun.

here are some pics i snapped of me with both pistols.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/DIGI0011.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/DIGI0006.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/DIGI0004.jpg

USMCDrifter 12-27-2009 10:45 PM

Aren't you just a ball of sexy, LMAO! Look like a fed, LOL!

The PF-9 seems to be a fabulous weapon, his review of the Kel-Tec P3A-T made me want a pocket-carry style weapon of my own. I'm looking at getting a Taurus 24/7 (he seems to like that weapon) or another Glock 17 (Gable Sporting Goods has one for $300 with extra magazines). I was reviewing his Firepower vs Mobility and laughed a little because that was my main concern when doing CRF and Camp Guard work. I didn't mind carrying the shot gun, but the Beretta M9 was just a better choice and made for a quick problem solver when things got crazy.

I'm used to standard-frame sidearms and have no issue with an outside-the-pants waistband holster. I was thinking about a small-frame though, something to have an under-the-belt or inside-the-pants holster with.

The pros and cons are what I'm weighing. Outside the pants is faster on the draw, but much more difficult to conceal, usually requiring a thick shirt or jacket/coat. Under the waistband is a lot easier to conceal, but slower on the draw.

Check these out :) :

Biggamehit 12-28-2009 12:04 AM

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...t/DIGI0006.jpg

So Gangster looking bro. Id let you date my daughter

USMCDrifter 12-28-2009 01:01 AM

LOL! I'd let you date my big brother! HAHAHAHAHA

jramosthe1st! 12-28-2009 10:01 AM

the p34t is way too small for my liking, looking back i kind of wish i would have bought the p11. the p11 is basically a double stack version of the pf9 so the it was a slightly wider grip than the pf9.

jramosthe1st! 12-28-2009 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter (Post 393666)
LOL! I'd let you date my big brother! HAHAHAHAHA

i appreciate the offer but i'll have to pass, if you said sister then i'd consider it.

USMCDrifter 12-28-2009 01:37 PM

LMAO! You mean you don't wanna take biggamehit on a date? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Everyone does!

LMAO!

USMCDrifter 12-28-2009 04:14 PM

Hey Jesus . . .

I'm thinking about going with this holster:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/50008

Let me know what you thinkz :)

jramosthe1st! 12-28-2009 05:24 PM

looks good, but you'd probably be better off getting a 3 position hustler if you plan on carrying a large frame pistol.

USMCDrifter 12-28-2009 06:06 PM

I feel you, at first, I was like, I should get a small pistol for carry, but I was at Gable Sporting Goods today and let me tell you, I feel like I'm going to break a small pistol. I held the Kel-Tec .380, the Beretta .22 and a Walther PPK (very nice weapon but pricey). Just felt odd, maybe it's because I'm prior military and law enforcement but it didn't feel right.

Jesus, I need to apologize for doubting you, my friend, the Taurus 24/7 is my new fantasy. I really am in love with it. I saw it for sale, 2nd hand, picked it up and held it. I had to remind myself that I have to buy an engine. It's so right. And it's a medium frame weapon so it doesn't feel too large. I think in my Mobility vs Firepower, I'm going to have to go down to med-frame at the smallest because of my hand-size. The handgun expert there told me that one can reference glove-size to pistol size. I won't carry my Hi-Point around very much due to its overwhelmingly large size and tank-like mass, but that Taurus . . .oh wow . . .it's so perfect. It's like a generic Glock and we all know how much I love my Glocks.

jramosthe1st! 12-28-2009 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter (Post 393677)
It's like a generic Glock and we all know how much I love my Glocks.

and that's why i don't like the 24/7 pro. i like the beretta 92 clone taurus makes and their knock off s&w revolvers, but i just don't care for a glock knock off. i'm not saying it's not a good gun, i just don't like it.

USMCDrifter 12-28-2009 06:51 PM

I just like the simplicity of a Glock . . .not sure why. I just don't like those overly-safe guns, it's more that can break, more that can go wrong, and people who own guns with 3 and 4 safety systems tend to forget the 4 weapons safety rules.

Treat every gun as if it were loaded
Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire

If you forget those, you might as well carry a gun without any safety systems at all.

Glock is a simple safe-action system, and if I'm not mistaken, they're the originators of the safe-action category of hand gun. And talk about durability, drop em, immerse them, submerge them, dip in mud, shake in sand . . .always will fire.

Berettas . . .not so much . . .Berettas will stop firing if you've fired too many rounds without cleaning, LOL! I loved shooting Berettas because they're so accurate you can write the address of your target on the round and it'll hit it. But sneeze on them, and they FTF, Stove Pipe and lock up . . .for that much money, I don't want to worry about cleaning it after 300 rounds. I think it has to do with the style of the ejection chamber/port. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, they're VERY easy to break down. I think Beretta epitomizes the "field strip". They also are lighter weight than similar sized pistols from other manufacturers. And although their kick is "crisp" it's doesn't disable the shooter like a comparable weapon would.

battosaii930 12-28-2009 08:50 PM

damn you guys turned me. i found a gunstore on the way home from work and they got the Concealed Weapon carry permit class im going to take it and buy the Kal-tech for a 24/7 gun and the Glock 21 for home protection and range use

jramosthe1st! 12-28-2009 09:33 PM

good to hear, we need as many armed citizens as we can get. becuase of your size you'll probably want something no smaller than the p11. just an fyi, the dao (double action only) pistols take some getting use to so you'll want to get a few boxes of ammo to practice and get a feel for the long trigger pull.

also because of the nature of the smaller frame guns, don't expect it to be very accurate beyond 10 yards or so. some of the larger gun stores have an indoor shooting range and loan out their used guns. that might be something you would be interested in doing before you commit to any particular gun.

USMCDrifter 12-29-2009 01:24 PM

JRamos hit it right on the head with what I was gonna say about double action only weapons. I like guns that have the double action (gives you a bit of a safe-way when taking that first shot) but people, especially new shooters, tend to pull their shots because it's so long of a pull and most double-actions have a pretty heavy trigger pull. But you're a larger sized dude so that might not be too bad.

Just remember to shoot with the tip of your finger, not the middle and to squeeze like you would a stapler, don't pull the trigger. Starting with the pinky finger, slowly tighten your hand up, working up the other fingers until you reach the trigger. When the gun fires, it should surprise/scare you everytime. Once you put a few boxes of ammo down range like that and get used to hitting black, you can then start shooting a little faster. I always shot the slowest at the range, but I'd qualify the highest :)

Biggamehit 12-29-2009 02:37 PM

troof... I score higher each time when I shot. Marksmen next time.

and shut the **** up stig... i have some long range practice now from Pre iraq training. Fun shooting **** that is 3 football fields away.... but thats with a .50

USMCDrifter 12-29-2009 03:59 PM

All I'm sayin, is 500 yards, open sights M16A2 . . .USMC OO-RAH!

AF doesn't do that . . .

ps

im so gay for you

battosaii930 12-29-2009 04:10 PM

i went to the gunstore and scheduled a Concealed carry permit class for monday :D

also the owner showed me a Smith&Wesson 9mm Sigma i liked it alot and it had a good price but seems a little too big to be a 24/7 gun. i dunno im still researching on my 24/7 piece.

def got a good price for my glock 21 though $549 cant wait to get it