Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Should we trust E-Bay sellers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:39 PM

Should we trust E-Bay sellers?

Well, first this is just my buying experince(may not allpy to all people). I bought a 95 Honda Civic for my gf on ebay! The seller is a auction dealer in orang county in CA! They sold tons of car each week! When I got that car, I found out the tranny has some problems becasue it is slipping gears! But on ebay, they said engine and trans are smooth and non smoker's car! I found some burned holes on the seat and floor! I was angry about them, and I bring the car back to them told them is got a bad trans! They told me is a used car, it should had some wears on parts, and car sold as it. If it got a bad trans, I can send to a trans shop and save ur some dollars! Damm, how can he said? Later on, I found out the engine is not origanal either! This is a F**king dealer! And my friends also had a bad experince wih them! last, i paid for the smog certi, and i never got them! Watch out for that dealer, now they are selling a 90 240sx on ebay!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

i've never had any problem with e-bay
Old 06-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Give him negative feedback. Also, check the feedback they've recieved from other too in order to know if it's reliable or not.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:48 PM

personally, i have a hard time buying a car that i have not test driven or checked over with a flashlight......

and i don't trust many ebay'rs.....friends jacking up prices....crooked ppl....ppl who recall payments after shipments have been made......just my opinion
Old 07-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Ebay, like any other venue for selling/buying, has a lot of great sellers... and a bunch of shady ones. I agree with Ladybug - for something of an "investment" such as a car, I wouldn't buy on either unless I got to physically drive, check, and inspect the hell out of it... but for brand new items or small-medium stuff like springs or DVD sets, etc. I've gotten a lot of great deals on Ebay.

The part about buying safe from Ebay starts with the buyer... there's user feedback, BBB, etc. you could research a little and narrow down your options to a few well-recognized sellers. Taiwan seller with money order only and 0 feedback? Common sense tells you that you might want to shy away from those.

As for used cars, it's pretty tough for me to justify buying a used car on Ebay because of the list mentioned above. And you bought from an auctioner dude - which I hate to mention, does get hundreds of cars in and out on a regular basis.

Can't help you with the "car is sold as is" part, especially if it's on the item description. Ebay descriptions are sort-of like a contract, and if there's any false info, you could technically sue the seller.

...and just to throw in a joke to lighten things up a little... that's what happens when you buy a HONDA
Old 07-01-2004, 11:03 PM

That is right Bro! It is too much risk to buy a car on Ebay! I will never buy a car on Ebay again unless I go for a fully inspection first! !!!!!!!!Never trust the description!!!!!!! Well, in general Honda is very good!So as Nissan and Toyota! It depends on ur taste!
Old 07-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

man thats a bummer, i pesoanlly would enver buy a car i never inspected or physically checked over, to risky business of paying so much for something youve never technically seen, I pretty much stay with the small stuff, i buy nothing over $ 300 and nothing major (ex: motors, cars, radios, etc etc) i stick with the practical stuff, games, dvds, small car tidbits here and there...though i have been tempted before to bid on a skyline..*sigh*
Old 07-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah my cutoff is about $400, and I never bid on anything unless they take Paypal, and the seller has BOTH over 500+ feedback, and they have a 99.5% positive rating or better... I pass on the out of the country auctions...