Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.
View Poll Results: Cars with aftermarket parts from the dealer? Discussion
Yes, absolutely
44.44%
No, I my way is more fun
11.11%
I would like to see only minor add-ons
44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like to see some changes in the way cars are produced today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 AM

Lightbulb Would you like to see some changes in the way cars are produced today?

When we purchase a car from a dealership, we know pretty much that we are buying a car that should not breakdown within the next three years, we know everything about teh stock car before we buy it, we know hp, weight, turbo/na, etc.

What I'm asking is do you think there are grounds that could potentially service needs like ours.

For instance, would you like to pruchase a 350Z with an better exhaust, or one that's been lowered. maybe bigger wheels, or maybe an intake, or even a turbo. You get my drift. Or would all this take the fun out of modifying your own car? Or would it be nice to have all these options from the dealer, have a warranty on them, and be able to say you drive a street legal car?

I have no right or wrong answer, it's up for discussion.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Extra parts will only raise the price of the car. Just get what you want then tune it the way you want with parts you pick out specifically for the car.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM

I chose ' minor add ons' because every performance part that the dealer sells is going to cost a fortune compared to aftermarket stuff. Also, part of the fun of making a car perform is having a unique mix of performance parts you chose.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:15 PM

i think more companies should have more mainstream show of product lines like NISMO, and those product lines should carry mild to wild, all factory certified. Mercedes Benz does this (AMG) but they dont count for all intensive purposes, because i bet most of the people here cant get their hands on an AMG edition Benz (if you can and you're reading this post.... i loathe you).

seriously tho, if NISMO put out a factory certified twin turbo kit for the VQ motor, that would give Greddy a serious run for its money. not only that, it would do us 2 great favors.

1. why would we buy aftermarket parts when the car company carries them? the certified factory parts can be categorized as OEM, and thus be insured (how many of you have thought about that factor numerous times?)

2. even if we dont buy the factory bolt on upgrades, the push into the market will create even more competition, meaning prices could be pushed down.

and for all we know, maybe what would happen is car companies would outsource their parts and build certified kits using other companies' parts. continuing the NISMO example, how about that greddy twin turbo kit be made a factory/dealer installed option that IS certified? it would esentially be the same kit, but due to the fact that its certified, you can have it under warranty.

yeah this could raise prices and mean that there would be no demand, but inversely, if nissan did try this, and demand started slowing down, theoretically they would lower prices to push the part, and thus cause competition to follow suit.

yeah this is all very optimistic talk, but the question asked was if we thought there was grounds for a more mainstream factory performance product market. i think there is. scion is one step in that direction, but you can only truly get a factory custom if you go with a hand made car like the Koenigsegg CC8/CC8S/CCR or Autobacs' brain child, the ASL Garaiya. Sadly only Scion is here, and it has the most useless bolt-on/aftermarket stuff (idea good; execution bad).
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 PM

great stuff darren, I was thinking along the same lines...

Car manufacturer creates parts, aftermarket parts go way down, or become much better. Either way we win. Yes, the cars would cost more, but then again you dont have to buy the optional equipment. and maybe those trying to save on insurance would choose to go aftermarket. I think the bottom line is two things:
1) The more options the better, it can decrease costs and provide better service or a more quality product.
2) The general public is introduced moreso to the thought of modifying their cars. Meaning your 36 y/o neighbor could have picked the twin turbo kit from Nismo and now were introducing more people into our lifestyle, and are no longer viewed by the general public as punkz0rz who r tryin' to be mad JDM y0.

Honda knows that their cars are like legos and that people pick them up for low cost to modify them. I don't know how many people saw it, but there was a great commercial on FOX that ran for a bit and it had all these modified eg and ek's all pimped out, riced out, heavily tuned and it said be apart of the Honda nation or something. And it was great, it was the first time I'd seen a commerical of that sort by a major car manufacturer on a major network.

Honda has also gone ahead and told Acura to sell upgraded kits, which mean upgraded wheels, exhaust, tires and a short shift kit I think for some of it's integras and TSX's I THINK... and what I read the performance didn't imporve much at all but it was still a nice option to have and have it all be under warranty. Not crazy stuff but they were definately testing the waters.

I'm definately awaiting what more people have to say.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:08 PM

i saw that honda commercial, it was amusing for the same reasons i liked it: yeah, the hondas did look good all trick, but yes, honda was admitting they werent that cool stock while still trying to pull ppl in.

SIDE NOTE:
as for acura, im laughing because the new RSX headlights have the honda logo embossed in the lens, and same goes for the tail lights. i wish they'd just swap it over.\
Old 03-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

i voted to have aftermarket parts from the dealer.

Warranty 500 hp S13 here i come!!!