Private For Sale / Wanted Sell an item in here or look for a particular part that you need.

240SX S13 S14 Welded Differential! Perfect Condition! Direct Bolt-On!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:05 PM

240SX S13 S14 Welded Differential! Perfect Condition! Direct Bolt-On!!

I have a weld diff for a 240SX for sale. It comes with the 2-bolt S14 rear cover. If you have an S13, just swap the rear cover from your open differential on this one, and you're ready to go! It already has the 6-bolt pattern output shafts, so you don't need 5-bolt axles as with the 300ZX LSD. This is a direct bolt on with no extra axles needed to fit on your S13 or S14! Also no core needed, and no waiting! You can pick this up from me, install it and drive the car with basically no downtime! Please email me aztectt@gmail.com

Pickup available in Union City or Santa Clara, CA.

keywords: lsd, vlsd, locd, drifting, drift, silvia, z32
Old 04-17-2006, 02:31 PM
PNG

Keywords: Broken spider gears, snapped carrier, windowed diff case, NHRA general regulation 2:11
Old 04-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Your point? I don't see what good it does to you by jacking every thread that I started, except it increases your post count. If you have a personal opinion about certain products, post them under the technical forums.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
PNG

Sorry. Not picking on you in particular - you just happen to be trying to move parts that either aren't safe or are illegal to sell.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:50 PM

If the welded differentials are dangerous, I'm sure we would have heard many stories about people wrecking their cars because of them. I myself haven't heard anyone sharing this kind of experience, and I know many people use welded differentials on their daily drivers, including S13, S14, AE86, FD, FC, etc.

Bottom line is, when people modify cars, they should be aware of how the mod will change the charateristics of their cars, and as always, drive with caution especially on the streets. I wouldn't call a big turbo "unsafe" because it adds so much power that people can't handle, or because that it decreses reliability of the motor. It's always up to the driver to do what's "safe" and "unsafe."
Old 04-17-2006, 04:31 PM
PNG

I know a lot of people who routinely drive without wearing a seatbelt, and yet none of them are dead or injured as a result. Using your logic, it must not be dangerous.

The bottom line is that there's no racing sanction I am aware of that will allow you to run a car with welded spider gears, and that's for a good reason. Welding destroys the heat treatment in the gears and carrier, which dangerously weakens them. That wouldn't be such a problem if people didn't used welded diffs as an alternative to a LSD or spool for high-performance applications, but what you end up with is a diff that's both significantly weaker than the stocker, AND being beat on harder (after all, why bother with a locked rear end if you aren't flogging it?). Odds are that it won't fail, but then again, odds are that you won't blow your brains out the first time you pull the trigger playing Russian roulette.

I actually have seen a welded diff break at the dragstrip, and it totally locked up one axle while letting the other freewheel. Fortunately, it happened when the guy launched the car instead of at the 1-2 shift (or better yet, when he got off the gas at 100 mph at the stripe and the loads on the diff reversed). I bet he was glad he saved a few hundred bucks on a real locker when he had to replace his entire rearend...
Old 04-17-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by PNG
I know a lot of people who routinely drive without wearing a seatbelt, and yet none of them are dead or injured as a result. Using your logic, it must not be dangerous.
Not true. I know people who have been killed or injured in accidents without wearing a seatbelt, and I'm sure many others have heard similar stories, or at least seen a commercial from the government about the danger of not wearing a seatbelt. The argument does not compare.

The bottom line is that there's no racing sanction I am aware of that will allow you to run a car with welded spider gears, and that's for a good reason. Welding destroys the heat treatment in the gears and carrier, which dangerously weakens them. That wouldn't be such a problem if people didn't used welded diffs as an alternative to a LSD or spool for high-performance applications, but what you end up with is a diff that's both significantly weaker than the stocker, AND being beat on harder (after all, why bother with a locked rear end if you aren't flogging it?). Odds are that it won't fail, but then again, odds are that you won't blow your brains out the first time you pull the trigger playing Russian roulette.
People who plan to competitively race their 240 should already know the requirements from their racing groups. If it's not allowed, they won't be interested in buying this from me anyway. Regarding the weakness issue, I have not heard anyone claimed that welded is weaker than stock, nor have I seen any scientific comparison between the two. However, I also did not see any study proving that welded is stronger, so I will not say that it is stronger than stock. Generally, people "say" that welded is stronger than stock, and the fact is, Shock Drifting guarantees this welded differential. If it ever breaks, Luke will replace it with another welded differential or an open differential for free.

I actually have seen a welded diff break at the dragstrip, and it totally locked up one axle while letting the other freewheel. Fortunately, it happened when the guy launched the car instead of at the 1-2 shift (or better yet, when he got off the gas at 100 mph at the stripe and the loads on the diff reversed). I bet he was glad he saved a few hundred bucks on a real locker when he had to replace his entire rearend...
I've seen many other parts break on the dragstrip too... Anywhere on the drivetrain from the flywheel, driveshaft, rearend, axles... Again, it comes with a warrantee from Shock Drifting.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:00 PM

dude, what's wrong with a welded diff if he's selling it as a welded diff? if someone is poor and can't afford the magical 2-way, a welded diff is completely plausible, especially one made by the shock drifting guys.

i once saw an engine blow and send oil all over the track, causing the driver to spin and wreck his car. by your logic, that would mean that we should all stop using engines, as the possibility that it could fail and cause us to die.

one last thing, you can buy a whole 240sx rear end with open diff for less than $400 these days. in conclusion, let him sell his stuff and post ***** somewhere else.

Originally posted by PNG

Old 04-17-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Power_live
dude, what's wrong with a welded diff if he's selling it as a welded diff? if someone is poor and can't afford the magical 2-way, a welded diff is completely plausible, especially one made by the shock drifting guys.

i once saw an engine blow and send oil all over the track, causing the driver to spin and wreck his car. by your logic, that would mean that we should all stop using engines, as the possibility that it could fail and cause us to die.

one last thing, you can buy a whole 240sx rear end with open diff for less than $400 these days. in conclusion, let him sell his stuff and post ***** somewhere else.
Thank you sir... I'm glad to see someone with some senses speak up.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

I was gonna post that welded diffs are a no go because of what was stated. For straight lines yes it's a great way to lock the rear. But for turns, especially drifting, the welds greatly reduce the strenth of the axle splines to the spider gear. In a matter of a few hundred miles it's gonna be shot and need replaced. I'm not jacking the thread just stating facts. If you have another diff to use or plan on gettin an lsd soon it's a good way to get used to the feel because it;s a full time lock. Just don't expect reliability out of it.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Preston
I was gonna post that welded diffs are a no go because of what was stated. For straight lines yes it's a great way to lock the rear. But for turns, especially drifting, the welds greatly reduce the strenth of the axle splines to the spider gear. In a matter of a few hundred miles it's gonna be shot and need replaced. I'm not jacking the thread just stating facts. If you have another diff to use or plan on gettin an lsd soon it's a good way to get used to the feel because it;s a full time lock. Just don't expect reliability out of it.
First of all, many people have welded differential on their DD, and I'm sure they have been using them for more than a few hundred miles. Even I have used this for a few hundred miles in a month. My axles are fine, and the diff is fine apparently. Secondly, you're saying that during drifting, the welds make the axles more prone to breakage? If that's your argument, then I can assure you that any axles broke during drifting with the use of a welded differential would have broken in the same way if a VLSD or clutch-type LSD was used, because they serve the same function when the wheels lose traction, which is to LOCK THEM SO BOTH WHEELS ROTATE AT THE SAME SPEED. Any extra stress that the welded diff is exerting to the axles, a $900 Kaaz LSD will put in the same amount during drifting.

For you anti-locd people, I can even give you some points to argue with. Yes the welded differential has its downside when daily driven, because it makes the car harder to turn at low speeds. People will look at you weird when in a parking lot. On the road couse, I feel that it gives the car more understeer than a VLSD, but coming out of a turn it is definitely better than an open differential, because it lets you accelerate out of a turn earlier, as in VLSD or 1/1.5/2 way LSD. When you compare a welded differential with other LSD over a longer period of time, including daily driving, drifting, and track use, the welded differential will put more stress on the axles than the others will. The difference is in the daily driving stress with the welded differential. However, how much stress from low speed turning do you think there is when compared to aggressive road course driving? My guess is less than half the amount, overestimating...
Old 04-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

I have had my welded diff for almost 2 years... and the only problem with it being dangerous was when i was in the rain and had different size tires on each side... i was counter steering to drive streight... thats the only problem... ofcourse when i got home i was able to change to the correct sized tire so...
Old 04-18-2006, 11:58 AM
PNG

Ok, ok... I'll let it go. I can see that it will take something bad happening to convince some of you, so it's not worth dragging it out any more.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:52 PM

I know people using who cares he selling it..
Anyone want to buy a full auto AK??
With a 100 armor percing bullitts?
lol