Private For Sale / Wanted Sell an item in here or look for a particular part that you need.

Anyone Interested in a HID retrofit??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, hold on, give me a min and I'll have them up.

EDIT:
Name:  H4housing.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  69.0 KB

It's 14mm tall and 20mm wide. What Ive always wanted to do was retrofit a projector and have a small light illuminate the area surrounding the projector sicne a big square with a small light up circle would look kind of wierd.

Last edited by ArticDragon; 12-24-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:13 PM

if u could retrofit them for the pop ups i would be down for a set
Old 12-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Those Look very simple to do a retrofit. How much clearance is there between the back of the housing and the body of the car?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

not much. i retroed acura mdx projectors into an EBAY clear conversion (not on ebay anymore) i believe the mdx's are 6 inches deep or so. i had to cut hte back of the flip up housing and the bulb ignitor (audi gen 3) hit's the radiator support. it's hard to aim. i'm looking into doing a fixed headlight conversion now but it is much better than stock. it's just that you can barely aim it. without the view finder on the mdx projectors i wouldn't light up any roadsigns. ... let me put it this way... when i parked my car on an incline facing up the incline and walked to the top of the hill... i wasn't blinded. it's that low, but it works for now. i am afraid of going over 90 at night though.

i've said i'd post pics of my setup a while ago and never did... This time i WILL... srry.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:53 PM

well i coule make it so that you can adjust the projector by its self. but i do not know how much room you have to get behind the headlights and adjust them

on the S14's it would be much much easier
Old 12-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

if you can make a setup for pop ups, i would be all over it... even if its a new housing and 2 seperate bulbs or something
Old 12-24-2005, 08:29 PM

I know i can make one for the pop up lights. I can make a flat shroud and mount some LED's for slight lumination like a Eyebrow thing.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:06 PM

Ill soon be playing with some Carbon fiber and kevlar for shrouds as well
Old 12-28-2005, 05:40 PM

i got a local guy that is gonna give me a set of S13's to play with to Do a mach up and see if you guys like it.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

ok, excuse my lack of knowledge about all this, but what exactly does a HID retrofit entail?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:28 AM

Making a HId retrofit includes:

Taking the bulb, ballast and HID projectors out of a HID Equipped vehicle like the TSX, S2000. and you adapt them to a different housing like a Honda civic. you have to to do a depth and placement overview to see where the light will put out the most light

then you have to be sure that the cutoff line is dead on straght other wise it will be off on an anlge and will blind people
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

ahhh, ic. In terms of adapting them to a different type of housing, is it a matter of adjusting where the bulbs sit in the housing? or is there usually custom work (e.g. cutting out reflective parts) that needs to be done to the housing itself for the HID bulbs+projectors to sit right.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM

ya there is extensive cutting and mounting procedures for different headlights.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:52 PM

Ok Im back had some stuff to do for vaction. Anyone intersted in this yet or or no?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:01 AM

i actually did a HID retro fit into my popup lights. i didnt want to modify too much, but if you had a chance to play with them, youll realize its a pain in the .... i didnt want to modify the movement of the light itself so i didnt do any lazyeye conversion. the lights go all the way up and all the way down, just like stock. however, that limits you to very few projectors you can use, and even with the smallest ones, youll still have to put up some sort of custom cover to protect the projector. i was planning on doing a silvia conversion but when i retrofited my maxima, its hard to go back to halogens, so when i got my 240, HIDs were the first to go in. but now i recently did my silvia conversion so ill hvae to crack those bad boys open and drop in some better projectors. ill try to take some pictures of my retrofit to show you how it looks. if you want it clean looking, heres some tips:
1. some form of lazy eye. i didnt want lazy eye cause i wanted my lights to go all the way down, not say open all the time. but with the simple rod mod, you cant get that...or i couldnt get it to work. ebay sells this module to control that movement...think its like 70 bucks shipped though so....
2. youre gonna need fiberglass if you want it clean and safe. no way around that.
3. if you dont want to do lazy eye and want it to go all the way up, small projector. bosch(auditTT), valeo(S4), TSX(maybe)

this sounds like a drag, but once you go HID, its hard to go back to halogen. and i mean HIDs the right way, projector HID, not rebased drop-ins. if you consider drop-ins an upgrade, you might as well make a coffee can your new exhaust. oh and, HID projectors. some like to think any projector will work. most of the time halogen projectors dont make good HID projectors. oh, and please stay under 6000k, 6500k max for bulbs.

i can answer your guys' questions about HIDs. i encourage people to all go projector HID.

hey JDMLyfeStyle, do you come across a lot of projectors offten? im going to be in the market for some in the near future if you got a few sets you want to sell.

"thats mad tight JDM **** yO!"

Quick Reply: Anyone Interested in a HID retrofit??