RB20/5/6DET Swap FAQ *Read before you ASK*

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:17 PM

you think the exhaust would be that similar? There's 2 more cylinders pushing exhaust out.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

yes there is 2 more cylinders, but its the same displacement, the cylinders are much much smaller, all 6 of them only add up to the 4 in an SR. This really isnt that hard, the displacement of an engine is the VOLUME of air/fuel mixture and engine can DISPLACE in a cycle. That means if you have a 4 cylinder 2L, and a 12 cylinder 2L, THEY STILL PUSH THE SAME AMOUNT OF AIR/FUEL PER STROKE.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:58 PM

Understood. Thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 05:00 PM

so whats total prices of RB20's + all the parts needed, RB25 + all parts needed, and RB26 + all parts needed? and the way i've read this sticky is that the best RB to purchase is the RB20 because of the fact that its the easiest to install?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 PM

yes i know the rb20 is the easiest. I heard the others are a little pricey to get all the stuff needed to install. I know a guy that tryed the rb26 and is having nothing but problems with it. The way i look at it is go with the direct fit one because in the end it will be easiest and u'll have less money wrapped up in it and you wont have to deal with all the problems all the time.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:53 PM

how are the RB20's on gas milage, compared with an sr20?
Old 03-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Is there anywhere I can go to straight up learn about turbos (i.e. terms, parts and functions, etc...)??? I think this is where I need the most help in...

Oh and one more thing, Id like to edit myself and say that Id now choose the SR cause of weight, the RB is hella heavier (as I was jus recently informed by some techs at the shop...) Either way, it's all dependent on ur application for the motor.

Personally the best RB is the 26. Yes it is a ***** to install since u need the RB25 oil pan and tranny, but the 26 motor all around is the Godzilla of the RBs. The S14 that we have at the shop has an RB26 swap, the only thing is the Apexi FC system isnt reading boost pressure... otherwise it'd be on the road eatin up hondas all day lol... You can reuse the RB26 ecu if ur not planning to go with larger turbo or increasing boost pressure, but like with Chad's 14, he's switched to single turbo and boosting way higher than stock, so again, financial budget is dependent on how far u wanna go and how experienced the people swapping ur motor is.

Back to my question... Where can I go to learn about turbos?

Last edited by NiSmO Knight; 03-20-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

people need to stop worrying about the difference in weight of the motor, read some of the threads, this has been debated a million times. The little bit of weight you gain or lose depending on which engine you pick will NOT make difference. Wether you are a skinny guy, or a really big guy will make more difference.
I leave my RB bone stock, even the little exhaust that the car had when I got it. I have fun spankin' mildly modded SRs every time somebody brings one over. A buddy of mine has a 532RWHP SR20, and I know I am not gonna have a chance, so please lets refrain from every idiot trying to challenge me to a race.
I am talking about stock or close to it, (cause I do have a pimpin' air filter) weight is not an issue.
The best way for you to tell what motor you want is to drive, or get a ride in each. I know thats not possible all the time, but most shops that have them should take you out for a spin to help you choose which way you want to spend your hard earned with them.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:34 AM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the RB30DETT that is made in Australia only???????
Does nobody wan't the RB30dett???????
Just a little research I did Nissan never produced the RBseries Holden Engines did, since holden is home based in Autralia they made the powerfull RB30dett........
Is it really hard to import one of these engines, I know they only made a few..........
Old 04-15-2005, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

RB30 from what Ive heard is a bad *** engine, they used it in a sedan or a truck over there? I forgot which chassis they put it in... But it was specifically made for Nissan of Australia. But yeh, its uuber rare to get a hold of one, and if u do find one, its booboo dollars...
Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 AM

In Australia there are some R33's with the RB30dett supposedly it is a limited edition.....
Old 04-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

I heard u can use the RB26 head on the RB30 block... is that true?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by NiSmO Knight
I heard u can use the RB26 head on the RB30 block... is that true?
From the research I have done the answer is......YES
RB30dett is a bored rb26dett......
The head does fit........
So for those of you swapping the RB26dett I believe you can buy bore kits from Australian companys, or just call up Holden Engines since they are the one's that produced and manufactured the RB engine, I guess the kits are all forged in the stock RB30dett trim........
McKinney Motorsports might be able to order those kits......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-15-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

How much would the bore kit cost? Im intrested in bumping it up to 3.0 litres.

Now my 2nd question is... Can the RB block fit inside the '05 G35? And if its YES, would the AWD drive train fit?

One of my friend's claim's he's got pix of someone doing a complete RB26 swap into a 350Z including the AWD drive train (which I have yet to see) but is it true?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:41 PM

I've never seen the swap done on the u.s G35, but technically the RBshould fit with room to spare... The VQ35 is a much bigger engine than any of the RB engines......
Don't know about the all wheel drive train though...
Custom fabrication would need to be done....
The R33 and R34 are completly different chassis and engine types..........
As far as the bore kits you will have to deal with a performance shop in Australia that specializes in the RB, that may be a hard thing to do, I personally can't log on to half the servers out there for some reason.......
There was a company called "Tweak It" out in Australia use to buy individual TB's for the KA out there, but I don't know if there company exists any longer, or if they even sell RB bore forged kits.......
Yur on yur own for that type of R&D...........

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-27-2005 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: RB20/5/6DET Swap FAQ *Read before you ASK*