RB20DET starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:34 AM

RB20DET starting problems

Ok, the RB has been in this car for close to three years now. I sold the car to a guy in April 2007 and just bought her back this past June. While he had it he had an Emanage Ultimate installed. Never tuned, but installed. He also put a Walbro 255 in there as well. So just this past Sunday the car seemed to be idling low. Nothing new for me being that she is not tuned she runs pretty rich. But then she won't start. I had her towed to a shop where they pressure tested the fuel pump and said that it was out....only 14-15 months old and it was out??? The car still has trouble even after that. Finally they get it running and tell me it was a loose connection AT the computer. So I got me a hold over stock 240sx fuel pump til the new Walbro shows up. The very same day just a few hours later I have the same problem. Seems like the engine is starving for fuel and won't fire. Is there a coomon place that gets "loose" at the computer or do I need to just dive in and go to town on this thing? P.S. The mechanic says that when the connection was bad, that the injectors weren't getting info to start spraying, where on the ECU is this connection? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

well if you are running rich for a long time you will eventually wash the cylinders out. and damage the rings

also

bro with emanage, you have to make sure ALL of those settings are correct. do you have a bigger maf etc... can you list your setup.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Nothing special about the set up. I have an aftermarket intake manifold other than that it's all still stock RB20 stuff. The car has ben running fine for the year that he had it with the emanage, and fine for the month that I've been riding with it. Could it be that the fuel pump just burned on me in one day? I've had a couple of sock ones burn on me before I could afford a Walbro but never so fast. With the ignition on the emanage lights up, but I dn't have any paperwork for it and no programs to run on the laptop to check the settings. Should I invest in this stuff just to check the settings that have already been doing right til now? I mean, of course I should invest in it at some point for tuning but I don't get that far into that stuff, I let the big guys at the dyno shop do it.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

yea well... that's the down fall with standalone... if you cant tune it this will happen.

with a laptop and wideband you could easily learn to tune it,

fuel pumps generally dont go that fast. unless you constantly ride around with an empty tank
Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 AM

Stand alone? The Emanage is a piggy back. I can't afford a stand alone. I'd actually rather have one of those. Also I neve really ride on an empty tank either. My gauge is messed up and reads kind of low so I'm always filling up at a quarter tank just to make sure. But no one could give me an idea of where to start looking for this "loose" wire or connection?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

ahhh i c sorry.. im somewhere else.....

ok sense you have piggy back you should be able to consult your ecu for codes.. do that bro.. you have an FSM.. if not i have one
Old 07-27-2008, 03:35 PM

Okay. So I know people use that for codes and such. The most I know about that is at some point the computer is supposed to flash like so many times and thats the trouble code right? Well, when does it flash? I know I can search out the FSM on here and other forums but how does the computer tell me the code?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

yes sir.. its a series of flashes

for example

1 long flashes 2 short flashes = 12

3 long flashes 1 short = 31

after you get the flashes, you will be able to match up the issue

also be aware that the ecu will flash multiple codes if there are multiple issues, in between each will be an slight pause and the light will be off.

you just have to look in the diagnostic section of the fsm and you will see the codes.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks. I found a link to an FSM on NICO and am in the process of looking for the page that covers diagnostics. Five hundred and some pages is a lot to search through and my searcher on this sucks. So I just get in the car, turn the key and look for the flashes on the lights on my Emanage right? Since thats the only thing that I see with lights on it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

na you have to look at your stock ecu... and turn the diagnostic screw left for 2 seconds and right.. or what ever the direction is... and you will see the codes..

brb
Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 AM

Okay. Got the codes as 21, 34, and 43. And in the whole damn 580 pages of the FSM I can't find anywhere that tells me what these mean. I'm so close to taking a hammer to this car it's not funny. If anyone can give me another clue as to what to search for please be my guest. I've used, code, problem, problems, problem codes, codes, rb20, 21, 34, 43, troubleshooting, computer codes, trouble code, trouble codes....etc. I'm close to loosing my mind here. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

ill see what i can find.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Here's what I found: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...HARNESSPIN.gif
http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index...ET_into_an_R31
http://ariandyy.wordpress.com/2008/0...n-rb20det-ecu/
All these links can help me for now, but from the codes I have some bigger issues after I get her started again.