RB26 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Nah, you don't sound rude. It's all good.

No, it isn't used that fast. Another option is octane booster.

Most of the cars out there that are running 500+ with a high boost situation are using a octane booster. If you upgrade to bigger turbos you would have lower boost and you wouldn't need injection or octane boost.

Basically you just want to avoid knocking as much as possible if you are going to use the stock turbos.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Levi SPL S14
ummm why not use the stock 26 harness? You dont have to convert much to make the harness work for all the dash displays thats the only thing i can see as the issue.
1.) RB26 ECU uses AWD ATTEZA system. If you reuse the 26 ecu and run the 26 tranny, the front axels will spin like crazy and you go now where.

2.) ............... you cant use the 26 ecu... we tried and it failed. That is how we found out about reason 1 above...

The way we have our set up for our Formula D car is like this:

ECU: HKS F-Con EMS with all the goodies from HKS.

Tranny: RB25 tranny (cheap and abundant, just dont go throttle and shift happy all day long like us and it should last a while)

One other thing to look into is the RB30 tranny from Austrailia. Its old school, but it still works. But good luck finding one of these without an Aussy importer.

Best and cheapest bet for ECU is to go with the Apexi Power FC w/ FC Commander. Solves all the ECU problems there. Just find a person who knows their Skylines and knows how to tune them. Very rare in the states. I only knew of one in NorCal, and he closed shop recently.

Last edited by NiSmO Knight; 02-23-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Nismo Knight, How would the front axles spin? They are not connected to the tranny right? Unless you fabbed up some way to transfer the power to them...I dont know, im confused at what you said. I would definatly go with the RB25 tranny, and most likely the Power FC cause its cheap. thanks for your helps guys.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

The RB26 tranny has a transfer case for the front axels that is located in the oil pan, with out the front connected, the RB26 ecu delivers all the power to the front and spins the front and nothing goes to the rear. Its the only reason why no one uses the 26 tranny in a 240 swap. Unless you get the chassis refabed by the guys from Full Race in Arizona, your chances of reusing the 26 tranny are none.

Trust me, we did a 26 swap before thinking that the 26 tranny can be reused. It failed due to

1.) 26 ecu runs on AWD format
2.) 26 tranny is for AWD and all of our 240's (unless touched by Full Race) are RWD only.

two big key items for this swap to be successfull are Apexi Power FC w/ FC Commander and 25 tranny. I only use the Power FC as an example because it is the cheapest full package aftermarket stand alone system you can get that is very reliable.

Edit: The other reason why the front spins is because it is not connected. Almost forgot about that part.

Last edited by NiSmO Knight; 03-04-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NiSmO Knight
The RB26 tranny has a transfer case for the front axels that is located in the oil pan, with out the front connected, the RB26 ecu delivers all the power to the front and spins the front and nothing goes to the rear. Its the only reason why no one uses the 26 tranny in a 240 swap. Unless you get the chassis refabed by the guys from Full Race in Arizona, your chances of reusing the 26 tranny are none.

Trust me, we did a 26 swap before thinking that the 26 tranny can be reused. It failed due to

1.) 26 ecu runs on AWD format
2.) 26 tranny is for AWD and all of our 240's (unless touched by Full Race) are RWD only.

two big key items for this swap to be successfull are Apexi Power FC w/ FC Commander and 26 tranny. I only use the Power FC as an example because it is the cheapest full package aftermarket stand alone system you can get that is very reliable.

Edit: The other reason why the front spins is because it is not connected. Almost forgot about that part.
Big time edit, I made a mistake on the two items:

Two key items for this swap are: Apexi Power FC / FC Commander (again used as an example) and RB25 tranny. Sorry for the mix-up.