Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: Data Logger + Video Price Point?
299-399
0%
399-499
0%
499-599
0%
599-699
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Data Logger + Video Price Point.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 PM

POLL: Data Logger + Video Price Point.

Hey guys,

I am in the middle of deciding the price point for the Video + Data Logger (VDL) that I am creating. Basically this unit will record telemetry such as speed, G force, RPM, and Lap Times based on GPS tracking. This unit will also simultaneously record and overlay video via a video camera that will be included with the base unit; perfect for immediate viewing in between track sessions.

Base Unit includes:
1. VDL unit
2. 1x Camera
3. SD card
4. Cigarette lighter power adapter.

This unit is universal for all types of cars. Most track guys will love this unit and I believe enthusiasts like yourself may be interested as well for other applications.

What is the price range that you are willing to buy this product for? Please Vote!

Thanks for your time and I will update you guys on the status of this unit. I think this unit will be available by the next SEMA and I will most likely be selling this item as a sponsor on this site.

Edward Lin
Old 04-25-2007, 05:11 PM

a Data Logger on it's own can run about 900 bucks depending on what you're looking at.

That's why I voted where I did.

-Dave
Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

hmm that sounds like hks camp system, which i am looking for, but was discontinued a while back

Last edited by Biggamehit; 04-26-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM

same as USMCdrifter, the price, even at 700 is better than ideal. a video camera will be half that price, and thats not including all the data input systems, ...or the GPS. what frame rate were you lookin for on the camera (high speed camera)
Old 04-26-2007, 01:43 PM

the camera will be a lipstick type camera with 520 lines and low or 0 lux.

yes all the other dataloggers/video are 1k+.

Thanks for your input.

What other measurements would you like to see the unit do at an extra cost? (temp? throttle? brake?)

Ed Lin
Old 04-26-2007, 02:35 PM

my best idea would be to look around at others that are already made and search for reviews. see what they like about them, and what they would like to see for one. integrate that for best appeal to the buying crowd.

EDIT: one with a great cam, but not very many measurements isnt as great as a low quality cam, but tons of measurements, with the possibility to integrate more (either by updated products and expansions, or add-ons to whats already there.)
Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Club240 Staff

I would need more info. Other systems such as the chasecam/traqmate cost significantly more, but also offer some very interesting software, track maping, and lots of data.

I would say being expandable would be a great option. Once ou start getting into multiple analog inputs and so on though, you are going to be competing against all the established ones. A more basic inexpensive system would probably sell well. Brake and acceleration inputs would be a good basic addition to what you listed. RPM would be nice to have, but starts to complicate thngs for a universal application unless you can have it estimate based on inputted gearing like a g-tech.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 AM

charles: what other information would you like to have??

great input, we are thinking of putting in throttle and acceleration inputs as well. This system will most likely but expandable. we are trying to have software like the maxqdata, as well as other functions in our software like the other dataloggers out there

Ed Lin
Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM

You want data logging with a track camera. It's simple, you need at least 3 grand to get going good. If you spend less, yay, if you spend more, then you're just like the rest of us who have gotten into sanctioned racing.

I've spent over $5,000 on licensing and certification alone...this ISN'T a cheap sport.

-Dave

There . . .now . . .SUPER MOD POWAH!!!!! CLOSE THREAD!!! LOL!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Club240 Staff

I think this would be more oriented toweard track day people. Obviously serious racers arent going to skimp out or go for basic setups, and will require more in depth data logging and there are already several great setups out there for a lot more money.

Fora fair amount under 1k, to have video, basic telemetry, acel and brake, and gps is pretty nice and helpful. Hell thats what a decent camera setup alone cost. It also depends quite a bit on how usefull the software is and what all it can do. Would you be able to do multiple camera inputs?

Last edited by CharlesJ; 05-02-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 AM

USMC: what do you mean by licensing and certification? Our unit will be ALOT less than 3k i assure you that. Close the thread?? Am i violating the forum rules?

Charles, You have PM. the software is our weakpoint i think. I have been lookin into AIM's software and MAXQDATA's software as well. i think that would be the best. As far as multiple camera goes, yes we can accomodate up to four cameras at a time.

Thanks you guys for your input again

Ed Lin
Old 05-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by g35lin
USMC: what do you mean by licensing and certification? Our unit will be ALOT less than 3k i assure you that. Close the thread?? Am i violating the forum rules?

Charles, You have PM. the software is our weakpoint i think. I have been lookin into AIM's software and MAXQDATA's software as well. i think that would be the best. As far as multiple camera goes, yes we can accomodate up to four cameras at a time.

Thanks you guys for your input again

Ed Lin
Nothing really, I haven't used telemetry systems since I was an active racer with Team Mopar . . .but I didn't pay for it, LOL, so I couldn't tell you how much it cost for them to purchase it. I know it wasn't Mopar specific, so I know they either paid a good amount of money, or they had a contract setup. The latter is probably closer to the truth.

When I mentioned licensing and certification, as with anyone that pursues life on the track, I spent a LOT of money getting my racing license, and because the instructors certificate required only one more school, 3 more events and a log book, I decided to go for that shortly thereafter.

-Dave
Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM

dave, ah, i c what ur talking about now. I see you like drifting events in ur signature. Do you think this application will work for drifters as well? If so, how will they use this and why will they want it? Just wanted some insight.

Thanks

Ed Lin