Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Road Racing a 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 09:30 PM

Question Road Racing a 240sx

1st post here so here we go...

I am a lifetime subaru fanatic looking for something diffrent, and to work on my skill with a diffrent drive system, and am really intregued by the S14 240sx, and probably will be buying one in the following months. Heres the deal:

I love to road race. Thats like my car life. See, i know the 240sx kicks *** at drifting and I would like to start learning that, but at the moment, i want a car that will be a good road race car. How is it on the road course? I plan to upgrade suspension, place in a S14 SR20, do brake upgrades amoung other things. (havnt researched the parts yet) I currently drive a 2000 2.5RS with a JDM EJ20 STi engine, the whole thing tuned to the 9's. I currently make close to 400awhp. I know it will take a lot of money to make the 240 match it on the track, but what would it take?

Anyhelp would be appriciated
Cheers
-Jeff
(allwheel-drive adict)
Old 12-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm, well the first things i would go for is the suspension, tires and brakes. Then when you get the feel for the car and the other parts are breaking in and if you have the right amount of money, go for the SR. The RB25 would kick some *** out on the road, but its a lil heavy in the front so you might want to get stiffer springs in the front. Research a lil more, a lil harder and you will find all the parts you need, trust me we have covered it.

Arent there better cars for road racing, why choose the S14?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Hmmm, well the first things i would go for is the suspension, tires and brakes. Then when you get the feel for the car and the other parts are breaking in and if you have the right amount of money, go for the SR. The RB25 would kick some *** out on the road, but its a lil heavy in the front so you might want to get stiffer springs in the front. Research a lil more, a lil harder and you will find all the parts you need, trust me we have covered it.

The difference in weight of the RB25DET over the Blacktop SR20DET is ~165lbs. Move the battery to the back, and reduce some weight up front and you won't even notice a difference.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-

Just chekin out my options. I"ve been interested in drifting for a while and want a car that I can learn on. This isnt the only car that I am looking at. Curretly my sights are on:
The 240sx
Restoring a 240z
Porsche 944
MKII MR2

So why the 240sx? I dont know really, i have been interesterd in them, and I drove one with a SR20, and WOW. It rocked. But then agian, so did the 95' MR2 N/a with JDM turbo.

THe main reason though is that Those other cars are not practical, especally teh MR2, which though I would love to own it, its completely impractical, and I am looking for a car that I can race on the weekends, and use as a daily driver during the week. The RS is just to a point where I am scared to drive it as a daily driver because it has so much money into it.

Basically, I'm just continuing to check out my options which include the S14
Old 12-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BoostAdict
Just chekin out my options. I"ve been interested in drifting for a while and want a car that I can learn on. This isnt the only car that I am looking at. Curretly my sights are on:
The 240sx
Restoring a 240z
Porsche 944
MKII MR2

So why the 240sx? I dont know really, i have been interesterd in them, and I drove one with a SR20, and WOW. It rocked. But then agian, so did the 95' MR2 N/a with JDM turbo.

THe main reason though is that Those other cars are not practical, especally teh MR2, which though I would love to own it, its completely impractical, and I am looking for a car that I can race on the weekends, and use as a daily driver during the week. The RS is just to a point where I am scared to drive it as a daily driver because it has so much money into it.

Basically, I'm just continuing to check out my options which include the S14
Ok, I see what your talking about now. And jorilad is prety right, put the battery in the rear, take out the A/C and get a CF hood and you should be set. A turbo 944 will kick ***. And I love MR2s, great cars. Keep on looking around buddy and I hope everything goes good
Old 12-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

The S14 is a great and fun daily driver with potential for weekend action... but prices might be inflated a bit these days due to the current "Drift" trend.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:23 AM

I know use the search button, and i will, but in short...
What are the advantages of the RB25 over the SR20? And the weight diffrence would be covered by taking out the AC (as I would... you only need it 1/2 the year here, and it can be over come by rolling down the windows) and moving the battery to the rear.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:33 AM

WOW. The RB25 is looking more and more appealing if I do decide on the 240. According to night7racing, it makes 250hp and 220tq for the same price as the S14 SR20.

EDIT: Another question.

What suspension set up would you guys recocomend for a S14? I currently have a full Cusco set up on the RS-T which I love to death.

Also, what is the possibility of a KA24DE-T? What would the price in comparison to the RB25 be?

I know...s e a r c h, but in the meantime can anyone tell me?

Last edited by BoostAdict; 12-07-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BoostAdict
WOW. The RB25 is looking more and more appealing if I do decide on the 240. According to night7racing, it makes 250hp and 220tq for the same price as the S14 SR20.

EDIT: Another question.

What suspension set up would you guys recocomend for a S14? I currently have a full Cusco set up on the RS-T which I love to death.

Also, what is the possibility of a KA24DE-T? What would the price in comparison to the RB25 be?

I know...s e a r c h, but in the meantime can anyone tell me?
For suspension..there are tons of ways to go, of course you would want to go for coilovers. There is tein, cusco, JIC, kei office, Zeal, apex, HKS...and a few others. Get beefier sways..struts..adjustable control arms.
The KA24DE-T is another way to go, you will be looking to make..about 230HP at the wheels with the right set up and boost, and it will be cheaper then the RB25 and still have ABOUT the same HP. And there will be less weight..so there might be a advantage there