S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

experts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 05:16 PM

experts?

Hey i know this is a dumb question for a nissan 240sx forum, but every site except for this one seems to habor the dumbest people and guess who are the ones to comment on my question

well anywayz i was watching initial d and saw how the japanese idolize the lancer evo and the skyline

we are alwayz talking about putting the skyline engine into a 240sx and it seems relatively easy in comparison to other swaps

I wanted to know if i could swap an evo engine into an a eclipse or maybe a 3000gt as easy as a rb26 into a skyline

thoughts, im seriously a newbie i just have thoughts about this stuff

i need imput
Old 04-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Evo I-III engines will go into 4G63 equiped eclipses, and I bet it's possible to put the Evo IV-VIII into a second gen non turbo due to the engines on the other side of the engine bay.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:21 PM

Unless you really (and i mean really) know what you're doing, and have extensive mechanical knowledge of cars, swapping any engine into another car is definitely NOT easy, especially when its an engine not meant to be in that car. Replacing a starter is easy. Replacing a fuel filter or an alternator is easy. An engine is nothing near easy.

It is not the same as swapping processors in computers, and definitely not "plug and play". Different engines made for different cars; engines are almost never directly interchangeable. This is an engine we're talking about, a massive device that moves a friggin car. It critically depends on mechanics, electronics, and thermodynamics all at the same time or it will not run. It's an ordeal that can take up to days for completion. And unless you are an experienced professional, you WILL run into problems and downtime along the way.

I am not expert on this matter, but i can almost guarantee that experts will back me up on my above statements.

Another thing: i know Initial D is cool and all, but always keep in mind it is fictitious cartoon based on a comic book. Things in that anime are easier drawn, easier seen, and easier said than done, everything from monetary funds to car accident consequences.

Last edited by WingsNThangs; 04-29-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

I should be more specific. The Evo I-III's engine will DROP IN a 4G63 equipped eclipse due to the fact that they are the same engine.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:12 PM

I just want a good engine in a good looking car

I mean have you seen the new lancer evo, my god what a mistake of nature

can you tell me whats a good swap to do? for a good looking car and a great performance engine

otherwise im just going to give up and get a camaro
Old 04-29-2003, 11:37 PM

All of your questions are very vague and subjective, especially since we do not know how much you are will to spend on an old car. But since youre considering a Camaro, I'm guessing you want a lot of power. I'll give you my recommendations:

1991-1993 240SX SE (both fastback and coupe are good-looking), SR20DET swap. Light car, beefy engine, great in handling, relatively cheap. Pretty old though. Unfortunately, usually only enthusiasts appreciate this car and its classic looks.

1997-1998 240SX SE, SR20DET swap. Beautiful car, great in handling, beefy engine, looks really sharp and updated if customized right. If you were considering a late 90's or new Camaro, this is my top 240SX recommendation for you. Because it is newer than other 240SX's, it will more likely be in better condition. Even after modding it to 300hp+, it would be well within your otherwise-new-Camaro budget. I may be a little biased, but I'm almost sure that people other than you will also think this car looks beautiful. The looks are there, you just need to keep the paint and interior and all in good condition.

SR20DET is a popular swap for 240SX because they are Nissan stock in their Silvia/180SX equivalents in Japan. I'm guessing its a great engine, since it has been successful in Japan and around the world for 10 years or so.

And i agree with you on the new Lancer Evolution. Sure it's fast and probably handles beautifully, but wow that thing is ugly.

Last edited by WingsNThangs; 04-29-2003 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:03 AM

thanks newbies need constant inspiration you no what i mean
Old 04-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

I think before anyone can give you good advise you should say what you want to use the car for. Drag? AutoX? Drift? Road coarse? Rally?
Old 04-30-2003, 03:50 PM

what is autoX hehe im such a newbie

I want a performance car that can well above handle corners and straights aways and that will be very impressive, no drag though

im not a racer but i just want these attributes cause i luv the idea of them
Old 04-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

AutoX is basically racing in a paking lot around cones. It's really tight and pretty hard. As for a performance car you should get an RX-7.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

he will have to learn bout a whole differnt engine if he goes with a RX-7 Unless he all ready knows bout rotary..
Old 04-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

Unless he swaps an SR.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
Unless he swaps an SR.
or RB