S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Guy with ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:01 AM

New Guy with ???

Hey everyone.
Names Dustin Im from Anchorage, Alaska but im currently here in Augusta, GA

Iv been looking around for a car while im down here and came across an S13.
Unmolested with 208k miles on it.
What are some things i should look at on it before deciding to Purchases it?
Im familiar with cars but not Nissans Specifically. Any tips or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 AM

get ready for a rebuild, or atleast I would rebuild it if it had that many miles on it, there's allot to look for like rust under it and things like that, the others will chime in and add since they know more than I do haha but Welcome!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

I'm quite sure 400million other people have asked what to look for when buying a 240, so I'm sure you can figure it out.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM

this isn't a one goal post...I was also introducing myself as one should do when joining a new forum.
I have found other info by using the search button im quite aware of it. i just assumed i might as well ask.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

welcome.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Yeah its a Ghost Town around here with "some"people with there attitudes. but some are here to help. Some think because you didn't spend 2 hours googling and reading and ect ect ect. and that if it were covered somewhere on the internet or in a book and you didn't seek out and find that said information, then well they have the time to flame you but not give you the info that they know. Zilvia is 10x worse.

But,,,, WELCOME LOL

Up where you are, I would think Rust would be the number one thing to look for. If they use anykind of salt. one thing to be aware of, is alot of the s13's will have a timing chain guide that makes a rattle sound coming from under the valve cover, this is normal and harmless(i think) but don't let that confuse you with some F---ED up engine noises either. just try to use good common sense, if inside and out are pretty clean, and a clean engine, and it seems to run good, its probably allright man. If its unmolested and they don't want to much for it get it anyway, and later put a better motor in.

just my .02 cents... trying to help u out bro
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

It's really not that hard, not an attitude just common sense.
http://www.n i c o c l u b .com/archives/240sxa-buying-guide.html
Old 05-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Sweet Appreciate the info. Ya the car looks alright i mean how good can a daily driven 92 look? lol Guy said it burn a tad bit of oil not unusual, said it needs a new Valve cover gasket which he was correct on that and he also said he thinks the MAF might be going out. Seemed alright tho, Needs a Rad Resivore and a rear hatch mechanism. thats about it tho. good little project even tho im not looking for a project at this point just somthing to get me around until i get back home then you better belive there will be a nice shiny SR20 in there
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM

the chain rattle can become harmful if left untouched, the chain giudes can become brittle and break off

extra .02 cents for u
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fadedsilvia
the chain rattle can become harmful if left untouched, the chain giudes can become brittle and break off

extra .02 cents for u
yeap on my old ka i took off the valve cover to change the gasket and the guide was just sitting on the chain nothing holding it the mount snapped in 2 lol
Old 05-13-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
yeap on my old ka i took off the valve cover to change the gasket and the guide was just sitting on the chain nothing holding it the mount snapped in 2 lol
Same thing happend to mine, funny thing is it didn't start rattling until it broke I think. because up to about 2 months ago or so, it never made a sound. so my guess would be that it just broke.