S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

New into 240 cars Big time noob. Skyline

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:06 PM

New into 240 cars Big time noob. Skyline

Well let me say it like this. Im new with the car buisness, i got a 240 sx 1990 s13 good condition automatic(thats the bad part). And im willing to make this car the best out of the vegas. Im willing to get a skyline engine and do engine, trani swap. but its just i need help what spacific things, do i need to do to make it happend.

I need to know wich mottor is good for the car, friends be telling me rb20 rb w.e and all that but im not sure if there just lieing and trying to **** up my Project up, if understood. so if kindly please send me your opinion about this so i noe whats right and whats wrong.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

ummmm..what???

searcccccccccccccccccccccchhh!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

skyline motors are RB20DET, RB25DET, and RB26DETT. RB20 is the easiest of the swaps, but they all take lots of work.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaban
skyline motors are RB20DET, RB25DET, and RB26DETT. RB20 is the easiest of the swaps, but they all take lots of work.
huh?

What about the G-series, S-series, L-series, Z-series, CA, FJ & RD series engines? Also in the RB-series there was the RB30.
There were alot of engines offered in the skylines over the years. Even if you are just referring to GT-r skylines, they had plenty of powerplants to choose from... not just RB series engines.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 PM

everyones messing with you. you needs Vtec!

no actually you need a RB26det and a RB25 tranny.

Last edited by Spade; 03-05-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM

To tell you the truth if you think like you type then these engines are going to be too much for you. Break that KA in and get some mileage under the belt then in about 6 months you'll have enough research done to get something started
Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

you obviously don't really know much right now. dont even think about a motor yet. just drive it for now. point A to B, w/e. Do your research before you make any big purchases.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Project Cheap13
huh?

What about the G-series, S-series, L-series, Z-series, CA, FJ & RD series engines? Also in the RB-series there was the RB30.
There were alot of engines offered in the skylines over the years. Even if you are just referring to GT-r skylines, they had plenty of powerplants to choose from... not just RB series engines.
lol there's so much laff in this statement right here. You should do some more research before trying to correct people.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

lol i didnt even notice that post. maybe the op and him should hit up the library together
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yarou
lol there's so much laff in this statement right here. You should do some more research before trying to correct people.
REALLY? Since the skyline was introduced in early '57 & the RB series engine wasnt introduced until the mid 80's how do you suppose they powered those cars for 30+ years? The Skyline GT-r was introduced in 1969 IIRC... obviously powered by something other then the RB

Research? Maybe you should do some. The skyline WAS around before 1989...then again most bandwagoneer have no clue.

MY original post in this thread was to point out that the one posting that the skylines only had RB engines is COMPLETELY false. I guess he isn't the only one that thought that was he.
Just so you all know. The SKYLINE is a regular 4 door family car in Japan, just like a Chevy Impala, Ford tarus, ect..
If you knew that you would know they actually had more than one engine series.

Who needs to do research? Have any of you lived in Japan, or even seen a Skyline, sat in one or drove one..let alone seen GT-r in person? Probably not..LOL
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

damn yarou, i think me and you just got pwned. bahahha

i was just thinking about the RBs. you were naming all of these other motors i was like wtf?

damn it i make myself look like an idiot. lmao
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

No prob MS!3. It is just that when someone mentions "skyline" immediately most people think of the R32, R33, R34.
I am just here to try educate & learn a 'lil myself, not to insult or make anyone feel like an idiot.
I just had to "make a slight correction" to the thread.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

yes, they have many engines, but we are talking about engines that people usually swap into a 240sx. you wont see many people swapping in any other "skyline" engines other than the RB series.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

why in the hell would he swap in a engine from the 1969 skyline?? the reason that people only list the rb is because thats the only motor people "want" to swap..and to answer your question..

yes i have seen skylines

yes i have seen gt-rs

no i have not lived in japan

yes i have driven them

and what are the chances of him getting a RB30?? and even if he found one...why would you pay what they want you to pay??

and the rb's where in other cars then the skyline..the GT-R is one only one with the RB26..and i believe (could be wrong) that the RB30 was only offered in the 400R..and Nissan used it as a race engine..

Last edited by TypeX180; 03-06-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TypeX180
and the rb's where in other cars then the skyline..the GT-R is one only one with the RB26..and i believe (could be wrong) that the RB30 was only offered in the 400R..and Nissan used it as a race engine..
Tripp, RB30 was a single cam version built for Holden to use in their Commodores. Australian only motor right there.

Holden's contract with Nissan did not allow Nissan to ever use the RB30 for any car other then theirs. If they did not have that clause, you would see 3.0 RB GT-R's. But honestly, like Tripp and Yarou have said, no one is going to swap any other skyline motor other than the RB series (for now, someone in Japan is going to use that VR38) and yes, Yarou knows all too well about the old school skylines.

Back to the new kid, please listen to experience, learn to drive the car, work on the car with its current parts, motor blah blah blah. If you're new to cars, NEVER try a swap right off the batt, you'll either destroy the motor or kill yourself. Learn from the ground up, I dont know how many times I've had to stress that with the new comers.

Quick Reply: New into 240 cars Big time noob. Skyline