S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

New into 240 cars Big time noob. Skyline

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Project Cheap13
REALLY? Since the skyline was introduced in early '57 & the RB series engine wasnt introduced until the mid 80's how do you suppose they powered those cars for 30+ years? The Skyline GT-r was introduced in 1969 IIRC... obviously powered by something other then the RB

Research? Maybe you should do some. The skyline WAS around before 1989...then again most bandwagoneer have no clue.

MY original post in this thread was to point out that the one posting that the skylines only had RB engines is COMPLETELY false. I guess he isn't the only one that thought that was he.
Just so you all know. The SKYLINE is a regular 4 door family car in Japan, just like a Chevy Impala, Ford tarus, ect..
If you knew that you would know they actually had more than one engine series.

Who needs to do research? Have any of you lived in Japan, or even seen a Skyline, sat in one or drove one..let alone seen GT-r in person? Probably not..LOL
I know exactly what the skyline is, and what trims it includes, including when it began and what models were out there. I'm not dead on about every single detail, but I know for certain that no one in their right mind would swap in anything other than the RB in the states because aftermarket and parts availability doesn't allow this to be easy AT ALL. He was also not only referring to just gt-r engines because I'm 99% sure that the only considerable gt-r engines range from r32-r34 which were all rb26. rb20's could easily be from any what, gtst? luarel? cefiro? And rb30? come on dude, you know that isn't worth the trouble. Let's stop with that condescending tone, because I could care less if you lived in a japan, or sat in a GTR, your statement lacked common sense.

Last edited by yarou; 03-06-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

henry ftw

and thanks nismo..i wasn't sure about that 30 dude

anyway..maybe do like a header, intake exhaust on the ka..then worry about **** later
Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Man after reading Henry's post, all I could think of in my head was the replay of that scene in Pulp Fiction when Sam Jackson said the line "AND I SHALL STRIKE DOWN UPON THEE WITH GREAT VENGANCE!..."

Oh and not to thread jack, but my buddy can get RB26/30 hybrid swaps from Australia for under 3K plus shipping, so if anyone is interested... yeah.

But to the new guy, learn the foundations before you start thinking about this swap or that swap. A major factor into the swap would be the type of driving you would be mainly doing (i.e. drag, drift, autox, touge runs etc.) Take your time! seriously, if I listened to myself 5 years back, I would still have my S14a with one bad *** RB26/30 hybrid with a nicely set up pair of GT2871R snails. I still kick myself in the *** everyday for letting her go.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

huh?

What about the G-series, S-series, L-series, Z-series, CA, FJ & RD series engines? Also in the RB-series there was the RB30.
There were alot of engines offered in the skylines over the years. Even if you are just referring to GT-r skylines, they had plenty of powerplants to choose from... not just RB series engines.
Are you trying to be an idiot or are you just coming off that way? I can digest my own feces but that doesnt mean I want to eat it. Why you would want to swap in a lower horsepower motor is beyond me.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Also another thing to mention about other Skyline motors, the other motors are rare as is in Japan, ULTRA rare here in the states. Our market only offers RB20,25,26 from Japan. If you can find an Aussy importer, then you can find RB30's, but in all honesty, I think the kid was thinking one way and the rest of us were thinking the other direction.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

Who needs to do research? Have any of you lived in Japan, or even seen a Skyline, sat in one or drove one..let alone seen GT-r in person? Probably not..LOL
All of the above, except i never drove one, last time i was there was when i was 17, cant drive over there till your 18.

but i know nothing.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ayuaddict
but i know nothing.
Thats right, Yuta only knows how to turn girls into stalkers LOL

Why do you think Jessica Alba keeps calling him?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yarou
I know for certain that no one in their right mind would swap in anything other than the RB in the states because aftermarket and parts availability doesn't allow this to be easy AT ALL.
yeah that's like keeping the sohc and building on that, i mean who is that stupid....oh wait bad example.

the way i see it your choice of engine is more of a personal preference based on your goals for your car. the appeal is in no way diminished just because something is not as extravagant, fabing the parts to make an engine fit is part of the fun. the beauty of tuning/building is that it can be done with other things in mind other than just high hp numbers.

both you and project cheap13 are right and make some good points, but lets not let egos get in the way. then again who am i to try to keep things civil.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 03-15-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:02 AM

Well, what you could do is get use to your KA for awhile at the track. I know that Vegas Speedway is a near by track and you can try handling it for awhile before you want any big powerplant inside your car of yours.