S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie from Hondas

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Eun

I'll be getting my driver's license next year when I turn 18...
Don't want to pay for all the **** I need to get my license (driving classes, $300!?)
Oh yeah, and is any of you guys working as a auto technician? if you are, which school did you come out of? (wyotech? UTI?)
Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eun
I'll be getting my driver's license next year when I turn 18...
Don't want to pay for all the **** I need to get my license (driving classes, $300!?)
Oh yeah, and is any of you guys working as a auto technician? if you are, which school did you come out of? (wyotech? UTI?)
welcome from hondas the car of the pass. get with the new cvic aka 240. yea im a tech im actually grad. from nti this friday. its a great school i would think about a uti ,but there all good in there own ways.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 PM

Welcome to the forums. I have only been a member for a few months and have learned so much about these cars in such a small amount of time. I am also an automotive technician and work at a local Honda dealership. I didn't go to any technical school or anything though b/c Honda sends their techs to a training school every so often to teach them (one week out of the year for me). I started as an express tech aka. oil changer and worked my way up from there. I used to like Hondas myself but I wanted to explore other brands and in 2005 I sold my 96 GSR and 02 F4i motorcycle to get my 04 STi. I still have a thing for some Honda's but I have no regrets about that decision. Only the urge to ride in the nicer weather but hopefully i'll be able to get another bike one day. I recently bought my first 240 and would reccommend this car to any new driver as it would be great to learn on and most of the parts are easier on the wallet than other cars. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

im went to Honda PACT (Professional Automotive Career Training)

i dont ever wana own another honda but i love working on them i dunno im weird i also love my nissans but i hate working on them unless its my own haha maybe Honda Brainwashed me
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 PM

i some what agree ,but it never hurts to have a education to you go lookin for a job. on the other hand i myself was going to nissan progam ,but i work for volvo so there was no really reason.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Eun

Haha, it's my dream but I want to land on a job where I'll make alot of money, maybe for BMW or porsche. How can I get there? No one around here knows anything about how I can get there, so I need some information...I'm a senior, so I want to go straight into the school after I graduate...
I'm going to have an interview with UTI rep and probably wyotech after graduating.

Also, eroc, how much do you earn a year in Honda dealership?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 AM

civic = cheap to own and cheap to modify
240 = cheap to own and cheap to modify.

only difference is the 240 is more fun to drive. these things don't blow the doors off of anything stock, but like i said, they're fun to drive.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 AM

you can get into a bmw s.a.t or a porsche s.at. its just morre learning on there spefic product. so you would have to take your uti program or wyotech or any other program you would like to go too. and maybe considering your grades and driving record you could get accpeted in. the good part about if you do get in you get paid for your time spent. i do know this you must be perfect to get into porsche. if you got in there you would get to move to A T L ,but good luck with your schoolin.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eun
Haha, it's my dream but I want to land on a job where I'll make alot of money, maybe for BMW or porsche. How can I get there? No one around here knows anything about how I can get there, so I need some information...I'm a senior, so I want to go straight into the school after I graduate...
I'm going to have an interview with UTI rep and probably wyotech after graduating.

Also, eroc, how much do you earn a year in Honda dealership?
You would have to consider the area I live in as opposed to a larger city but I just got a raise earlier this year and will make about 50K next year. I get raises about every two years and just for reference my dealer charges $70/hr for labor. Every time I go to Richmond for training I meet techs from up north around jersey and NY and most rates there are 95-100+ per hour. I would also imagine they make more but cost of living is more too so it evens out. Like I said before I started out changing oil and doing bs stuff as an express tech but I absorbed everything I learned like a sponge and 5 years later I am where I am now. The best advice I can give is if you will be paid on commission based salary make sure you pick a company that will keep you busy. Honda, Toyota, Nissan are all booming and Ford, Chrysler, and GM are hurting a little. I chose Honda b/c they share so many platforms between the cars and they only have a hand full of engines. This means less new stuff to learn. For example, the Accord, Element, CRV, Civic Si, all use the same K series engine. This helps you adapt from one cars system to the next. I still say the best way to learn a certain brand is to just work there. There are so many brand specific systems on cars these days. If you can take a manufacturer specific program as mentioned by all means do it. If you are going to take a generalized program think about all the crap your going to be taught that doesn't apply to your brand. With the generalized program you will still more than likely start out low anyway. Sorry for the long post but just be sure you know what you want to do and who you want to work for before you fork out the dough for school. Good luck...

PS- Some schools like UTI and Wyo only offer certain brands just so you know.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

I'm a former Honda turned Nissan guy...but I actually drive a Honda again, LOL. I still <3 Nissan though...this is just a DD.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:16 AM

yeahhh welll i have a CRX .
just blew the engine this past Thanksgiving :/

decided it was time to buy a DD and turn my CRX into a track car .
so the work begins .

i do miss my Honda . tho i do love the way my Nissan sounds and drives :]
Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Eun

Eroc thanks alot, and 50k a year in five years doesn't sound so bad at all. =D
Since I know much about honda, I'd have great advantage in working in Honda dealership. And if I do want to work for porsche or BMW, I might as well go to UTI, which is a freaking expensive school. I live in Cal so I know that 50k a year is pretty good...
I might start out doing oil changes too, in that I don't really have so much money to get good training...
Also, when you're 18 and you don't have "official" training, can you still work at oil changing places?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM

"oil changing places" like jiffy lube etc. hire pretty much anyone and have on the job training.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

there is a big difference between performance and general mantainace. i personally think all guys in aftermarket performance upgrading are more well wround becasuse we all understand general and beyond.

i hate general mantainace ( doint it for long periods of time).. i have worked in a couple shops on my spare time doing lube jobs etc is just boring to me. however doing a 1j/2jz swap and all the wiring is awesome. i have actually help convert 1 general shop into an all out local performance shop, but he still does basic jobs. while he was doing routine headgasket jobs, i was doing sr/rb swaps and fabrication etc.

your aftermarket knowleadge is good dont get me wrong, but you will be dealing with new cars and you will be told what to do and how, but you already know that.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Eun

Working at a performance shop will probably be really fun than working on general maintenance. And yes, I know that I will have to deal with new cars sooner or later, so I'm trying to broaden my range of my car knowledge. =D
Thanks guys for all these information. You guys are helping me more than my counselor.

Quick Reply: Newbie from Hondas