S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie/Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 12:37 PM

Newbie/Introduction

Hi All,

I'm the newbie so an introduction much needed.

I have a 1991 240sx. This little beauty landed into my hands by sheer luck. I got a call from my dad one day and he says 'Hey my buddy is trying to get rid of this car for 1k, you just need to replace the radiator. It's a uhhhh 240se or something.'

Needless to say within a matter of weeks I the car was mine. I've only had the car approximately 6 months and she's in need of some work. I'm fixing to repair the transmission and reinforce the frame as well as slap a new pair of struts on her.

So far rotars and calibers have been replaced as well as a nifty Kasco style strut bar that has definately improved the rigidity of the frame (she's been wrecked for sure).

*TypO on KA24*
She still has the KA42* engine of course, but my concern is this:

I want to swap out the KA for the SR, but can I keep the transmission? I'm in a bind because I need the tranny replaced (it's making the high pitched wheezing noise around 3000 rmps) but if I'm eventually going to swap the engines I might as well get the whole from clip replaced instead of wasting money replacing the tranny I have now and then swapping the engines.

Get my drift?

I know I can super charge the engine I have now but my concern is blowing the engine up, when instead i can just swap the front clip for the SA which is already supercharged.

Anyhow, I'll post pics as I slowly start the restoration of this car.

Soon to come:

I'm redoing the interior completely, I'm just not a fan of the original navy blue stock look. Racing seats are a must as well as a new HUB and wheel. I'm redoing the dash paneling and reupholstering the back seat and relaying a brand new set of carpet.

I know it's a ricer-ish, but I'm doing the car in black and red. Just my personal favs.

Also, I am in need of the front p/s fender. I really don't think it's necessary to re-order a brand new fender for $300 and NOWHERE in houston can I find this fender. If anyone can hook it up I will be indebted!

Thx.

the djisagoddess

Last edited by djisagoddess; 12-20-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 PM

well welcome... about the Ka, SR tranny thing ya, i dont really know. But the Search button works wonders. Not to be a dick but read a bit before you go out and ask questions. People dont spoon feed you hear and if you just keep asking things without reading your going to get your *** chewed out. Just a little warning. Good luck and happy driving.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the warning, but that's how I ended up here haha

I'm limited on time since I'm at work right now trying to search all this stuff. I know how car fanatics are about idiots asking without doing for themselves.

But yeah, I'm not exactly asking how to rebuild an engine, I'm just wondering if it's been done and if anyone has any info.

And if anyone has a fender...
Old 12-20-2004, 01:14 PM

welcome to the forums, moved to "New Members"
Old 12-20-2004, 01:14 PM

umm again i dont really know about the tranny swap... i mean you can just drive it into the ground and save your *** off for the SR and just get the front clip and you'll be golden. Um for the fender you can check ebay or you can check the "for sale" threads. Usually there are a few people out there parting out their old cars. Its helpfull when your in need of these things. Maybe you can even get a tranny for cheap who knows.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:23 PM

I already checked ebay =/

I check ebay everyday and I found the clip but I'm just trying to rule out possibilities ya know?

Muchos gracias for your helping hand, but parts for this car are difficult to find. I thought about the whole selling my 240 and getting a new one to start all over with but I just can't...

I think it would probably be best if I just replaced the front clip, I don't know if I want to test the original tranny, and I certainly don't want to blow my car up. But hence my problem in fixing the tranny now and swapping engines later.

Ahh and sorry for posting in the wrong forum, leave it to me
Old 12-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome man
Wow nice KA42
j/k
Old 12-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

I think you mean turbo charger.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:24 PM

alright well depending on the mileage on the KA i'd say fix the tranny if you got low miles... save up and buy the SR. As far as the fender who needs cosmetics when you need to get it running first... Prioritize.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't recommend ebay for buying a front clip. I've heard of people getting frucked hard by getting crappy motors or S13 engines instead of the S14 or S15 they thought they were getting.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:20 AM

yeah yeah... at least I didn't say AK42

But yeah the ebay thing makes me leary. I'm trying to find a shop in houston that I trust with my car. I don't even trust the Nissan dealership, god knows what crap they will put in my car.

If anyone has any recommendations on shops @ houston drop me a line.

As for fixing up the old tranny and having a low mileage engine, the engine has 180K on it but it's running awesome. I'm expecting to get maybe another 50k out of the engine (i take care of my ****). 50K will take me a long ways since I don't drive the car very much, just to work and back for the most part. In six months I've put 1100 miles on it.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:46 AM

i don't believe the trannies are interchangeable, but I've heard some have had the ka tranny rebuilt to be put on the sr....don't really think it's worth the trouble or money, sr clips usually are reasonably priced and come with tranny and everything u need. if u can fix the tranny for under 1000, i'd say do it, but if its going to be more, since u don't drive much, save the money for the sr swap
Old 12-21-2004, 10:23 AM

I think that's a pretty good idea actually. The whole clip costs around 1500 from what I've seen, and even less in some cases.

That's what I thought about the tranny, I mean I read that I could keep the stock AK and tranny and then slap on the super charger, but then I risk blowing my engine up and that's not exactly what I'm going for.

But yeah any extra info is much appreciated. Thx!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

A site that I have heard that's awesome about having quaility motors, front clips, etc. is www.nippon-motors.com
Plus all of their engines come with warrenties.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:43 AM

Oh so sweet

Thx for the link!