S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

questions about the ka24de

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 92nissan
Depending on how the motor is built. Most built cars have a substantial amount of horsepower compared to torque.
That's mainly is boosted, smaller engines or low displacement vehicles. Diesel isn't included then that, but then again, relatively speaking, diesel isn't low displacement.

You know what I meant jack ***. My honda only weighed 1900 pounds, unlike my bulky 240 so I didn't need big amounts of torque to move the car.
Bulky? A 240? Hmmmm....

Originally Posted by yarou
Yeah, it's helpful. Especially since horsepower is a mathematical equation where one of the variables is torque. lol

P = Power, hp
N = Rotational shaft speed, rpm
T = Torque, lb-ft
I love this guy! Nothing refutes math!

Originally Posted by yarou
That's completely untrue, if you look at WRC for example there is a horsepower limit at what I believe(don't remember) to be 300hp. However their torque ranges between 400-500 or even more. It's also untrue for engines that are meant to pull things, semi trucks for example and other construction vehicles. Honda's have more hp than tq simply because of their valve timing and flat torque curve.
Very true, those engines are built for torque numbers because torque is what's going to get you going out of a turn faster and with greater efficiency.

I love Honda guys who are making like 300hp and 140ft lbs of torque, I show them exactly what torque can do for your vehicle . . . . but then again, I drive big "boaty" cars that are ugly, don't handle very well and are slow...

-Stig

:::EDIT::: The problem with cars isn't the power and torque when it comes to being able to tow a heavy object, because as you stated they have more than enough, the problem is the driveline, powertrain and the brakes. I'm willing to bet that up to 98% of the time, a car's transmission, driveshaft, torque converter, clutch, flywheel, rear end, mounts, couplings, flex discs, you name it . . . simply aren't designed for that sort of load.

There's a reason they keep making trucks and why everything on trucks are bigger . . . it's not just aesthetic, it's functional . . . .especially when you have to stop your vehicle and whatever you're towing...

Last edited by USMCDrifter; 10-08-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

a semi has figures like 1200 foot pounds of torque and 300 horsepower. most diesel's are turboed cause they need it they would be too slow for the streets sure they would start moving but with out a turbo it would take forever to get going.

i know the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak has like 900+hp so dunno if thats a wrc car but its made for rally.

also the quote about torque dosnt exist in the honda world is wrong its might be just 1 car right now but the Acura RDX with the Turbo AWD K23 has 240hp/260tq finally an engine done right! too bad its in a mini suv lol
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
.also the quote about torque dosnt exist in the honda world is wrong its might be just 1 car right now but the Acura RDX with the Turbo AWD K23 has 240hp/260tq finally an engine done right! too bad its in a mini suv lol

-I was talking about the played-out fanboy motors like b18/16. I know all too well what the K-series engines are for. Also for the price of an Acura RDX front clip right now I could probably buy an RB25.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
Bulky? A 240? Hmmmm....
There's an 800 pound difference between my honda and my 240. My mustang only weighs 500 more pounds than my 240.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by clubredsilvia
-I was talking about the played-out fanboy motors like b18/16. I know all too well what the K-series engines are for. Also for the price of an Acura RDX front clip right now I could probably buy an RB25.
You're right. B18/16's don't have alot of torque, but they make up for it on the big end. I've been killed lots of times in the first 1/8th mile, but I've easily ran that particular car down on the big end.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:06 PM

There's an 800 pound difference between my honda and my 240. My mustang only weighs 500 more pounds than my 240.

I understand where you are coming from, however, your choice of words is a poor one. I wouldn't call the 240sx bulky. It's a light, nimble machine designed to handle the esses with ease. Bulky carries the connotation of a vehicle in the essence of a Lincoln Continnental.

-Stig
Old 10-09-2007, 12:42 PM

I understand where you are coming from, however, your choice of words is a poor one. I wouldn't call the 240sx bulky. It's a light, nimble machine designed to handle the esses with ease. Bulky carries the connotation of a vehicle in the essence of a Lincoln Continnental.

-Stig
True. If we break it down to an exact science, then it is a light, nimble machine designed to handle the esses with ease. I just meant it's weight is bulky compared to my Honda.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 PM

You're right. B18/16's don't have alot of torque, but they make up for it on the big end. I've been killed lots of times in the first 1/8th mile, but I've easily ran that particular car down on the big end.
-now your just ****tin' out of your mouth. The only car you can honestly say that about would be a big-turboed car, when it's boosting-up.. You been beaten heavily in the first half of the track, then flew past them on the "big end"? WTF are you talking about. Is that when your V-TAK kicks in. lol I doubt if someone killed you in the first half of the track, that you would be able to even catch them , let alone fly past them like you say. Be Real. Please post pics of this rice-rocket.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:16 PM

-now your just ****tin' out of your mouth. The only car you can honestly say that about would be a big-turboed car, when it's boosting-up.. You been beaten heavily in the first half of the track, then flew past them on the "big end"? WTF are you talking about. Is that when your V-TAK kicks in. lol I doubt if someone killed you in the first half of the track, that you would be able to even catch them , let alone fly past them like you say. Be Real. Please post pics of this rice-rocket.
Do you even know what a car is? Have you ever been to a race track? Honda's are horrible out of the hole due to the lack of torque, but they make up the difference on the big end of the track. 2 cars can run the exact same 1/4 mile time, yet run completely different numbers at the 60ft, 330, 1/8th, and even 1000ft mark. There's more to it than saying "oh it must be a turbo car." Of course if you actually knew anything then you would've known that. Go back to cutting springs and matching spring rates.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM

Do you even know what a car is? Have you ever been to a race track? Honda's are horrible out of the hole due to the lack of torque, but they make up the difference on the big end of the track. 2 cars can run the exact same 1/4 mile time, yet run completely different numbers at the 60ft, 330, 1/8th, and even 1000ft mark. There's more to it than saying "oh it must be a turbo car." Of course if you actually knew anything then you would've known that. Go back to cutting springs and matching spring rates.

Woah dude, watch it, Club Red is a vet . . . and he's right, the only time you'll see that is when you're talking about boosted vehicles.

Typically speaking a quater-mile drag race is won within the first 60ft, you rarely (unless your talking about heavy boost or a faster car vs a slower car)

On a related note, Club Red, there are MORE TACTFUL ways to address an issue you may have with a member . . . .the magical ban wand swings two ways . . . I'll let you skate by with a warning, but that's out-right flaming and really not cool brother. I think you're a cool person and it would anger me to have to do something administrative.

Anyhow . . . yes, V-TEC isn't going to win a race in that manner, unless your Civic is bloody fast.

-Stig
Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 PM

-EDIT: i love you stig.

-post pics of your honda and mustang. O and on your way out check what kind of cars i work on by going to the off-topic section, then the "real german auto" thread. I WAS SAYING that if someone "killed you" in the 1/8th, then you would be playing catch-up in the 2nd half and wouldn't fly past them.

EDIT2: Also if your talking about two N/A cars, If one car has the power to "kill" the other down the first 1/8th mile, then it probably has the power to keep it that way down the second half.

Last edited by clubredsilvia; 10-09-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 PM

Woah dude, watch it, Club Red is a vet . . . and he's right, the only time you'll see that is when you're talking about boosted vehicles.

Typically speaking a quater-mile drag race is won within the first 60ft, you rarely (unless your talking about heavy boost or a faster car vs a slower car)
You could be right. Maybe i just spend too much time at the track working with real time numbers and components.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 PM

-UMMM maybe Dave Adams has a professional opinion because he is an SCCA Intructor. Also i couldn't find pics of your honda/mustang on your cardomain. You sure do drive a plain car for having some hardcore track/strip knowledge.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM

EDIT2: Also if your talking about two N/A cars, If one car has the power to "kill" the other down the first 1/8th mile, then it probably has the power to keep it that way down the second half.
I guess we need to break it down to a science. N/a cars have minds of their own. Each part works with every other part on the car. You maybe "good" at what you do, but when we build cars, we build and match every part to the car depending on what the person wants the car to do. We don't just throw some parts together and call it a day. We match everything. Cams, heads, intakes, converters, gears, transmissions, all of it. So yes 2 N/A cars can run the same final numbers, but be as different as night and day everywhere else on the track.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Here's what we do.

http://www.tydoracecars.com/

Here's my daily driver mustang which I'm selling to fund another project.

http://www.mokandragway.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=13727

Quick Reply: questions about the ka24de