For Sale - Cars For Sale Includes all models. If you have a vehicle for sale, place it in here.

FS: 240sx with Skyline RB20det

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:39 PM

FS: 240sx with Skyline RB20det

I too need some money for bills with this terrible economy I need to pay rent and such being such a poor college student. I have a 1989 240sx with a Nissan Skyline RB20det motor swap. It only had 105k miles on the chassie when I did the swap. This has been my project car for a good many years but all things must come to an end. It would be a great starting point for anyone wanting a good build. I had planned on upgrading the turbo and such but I needed the money for other ventures.

The car is in great condition. I have done a lot of work cosmetically and mechanically to get it running in tip top condition. I was one of the first to do this swap in NC but I did everything right. Instead of the pig nose front bumper I replaced it with a '93 front bumper. The car has been repainted with the 350z liquid aluminum paint. I did all the body work myself but the spraying was done by a professional. It has about 3-4 coats of clear on it and has never been wet-sanded. If it was buffed it would look flawless. Honestly I have sanded this car enough that I never want to do it again so have fun if you would like to. It doesn't have any dry spots or dripping. Most other exterior pieces have not been touched. I am a fan of the subtle and discreet not the gaudy. I have replaced the stock steal wheels with some cheap aftermarket. They do have some road rash but they look pretty good from a distance. I don't see the wheels as a big point to me as long as they have good tires. The tires have a lot of tread left on them and you can have the stealies if you prefer.

The engine is a RB20det out of a '93 gtst I believe. I do have pictures of the car in Japan that it came out of. It was originally an autotragic but I replaced the transmission with a tranny with about 30k miles on it. The motor btw has about 60k miles on it. I previously used an XTD clutch in it but it went out after about a year. I replaced it with an ACT unit and I have pictures of it to verify if you would like. I have not really even driven the car to break in this clutch so it has virtually no miles on it. The flywheel has been resurfaced and whatnot. The slave cylinder was upgraded to a 300zx tt unit which has a larger cylinder bore and seems to stand up to the pressures of an upgraded clutch.

The exhaust was outfitted with a 3" unit and was coated with ceramic coating. It has a 3" magnaflow muffler which sounds great. The downpipe is currently on the stock rb20det unit. It also has a nismo FPR and a inbay fuel pressure gauge to set the correct pressure coming from the upgraded walboro fuel pump. The PS lines were upgraded to later model hardlines so that they tuck neatly in above the lower crossmember. I used TopHat Performance engine mounts. I did the original swap in '04. I can't remember all the exact details. The car is also outfitted with a custom piped FMIC. The FMIC fits perfectly in the front bumper. The radiator is the skyline one which is a bit larger than the SOHC unit that came with it. There is a Perma-cool 14" fan that is ran off a temperature sensor and an added 10" fan that is ran off a switch if the temperature gets too hot.

The interior of the car is outfitted with a water temperature sensor, a Blitz Dual Turbo timer, and has a SAFC. This is what was tuned by P1 performance in Charlotte or just south of Charlotte. The gauge cluster is the skyline gauge cluster but using the cable speedo has been a bit interesting. I have broken about 3 myself because of the awkward routing from the right side of the tranny to the driver side cluster. The lights and all that works but the speedo does not. I have always run it off my RPM.

The car has Infinity Kappa 6.5" component speakers and Pioneer 6x9 speakers in the rear trunk lid. These speakers were all installed by me with a bit of custom work. The Headunit is a Pioneer unit that accepts MP3 cds and also has a hookup for plugging in any RCA cabled player. I used to hook my ipod up to it. The battery has just been replaced along with the alternator was just rebuilt so the electrical is all good to go.

Under the carpet I put insulation down to help keep the heat that is generated by the large motor from the firewall and around the tranny. The insulation goes from up the firewall to behind the front seats. This has helped out a ton on hot days because it has no AC. The car is a base model 240sx which is lighter but the doors and windows are all manual.

In general this clutch grabs great and the car sounds great. It makes more noise from the motor than it does from the exhaust and the stock recirculating blow off valve sounds very good through my custom ducted air filter. I have ducted air directly into the filter coming from the parking light grate. The water pump was replaced with a factory unit and the timing belt was replaced with a Greddy unit. They thermostat is also a 300zx unit that has been replaced.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I have lots of swap photos. The engine bay was painted black during the swap and looks good with the silver car. I am excepting reasonable offers. I have dropped about 7 grand into her not including the paint so if that gives you a general idea for offers. Asking $5,500 OBO

Andrew Lockhart
Greensboro, NC
sky240det@gmail.com
cell: 336-471-7124

Last edited by Andrew85cm; 03-15-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

looks good, glws
Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

That's very clean looking. Good luck with the sale, man.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Very clean car, I hope you were able to or are able to sell it soon.