Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Cam Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Cam Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

Some one please help!!!

a 2 hour cam installed turns into an all day cam nightmare!

i got a set of HKS 264 cams. i downloaded some insturction to install from Jim Wolf Tech.

not realising ther mistake i just made. i go about the install and get it all back together turn the key and its running real bad. the car is chugging so it says to adjust the CAS timing. no prob. i change it to wear it show its needs to go and same thing, lots of chugging.

i get pissed and realize my mistake of getting jim wolf's insturctions for HKS cams. so i try to put the OEM ones back in and everything is going well. i get it all back together and turn it over and SNAP!!! now nothing is working except teh pulleys spin. i take off the valve cover to notice one of the rocker arms is not in place now. well the rocker arm stoppers and missing. i find one close by and the other is gone forever. drained my oil nothing came out. flushed oil through the valve cover hoping it will come out, NOTHING. so i guess my alst resort is to take off the oil pan and hope for the best.

my question is - how can i tell if these cams or for the sr20det. they just say sr20 on them

also, how to i adjust the timing on my car once the cams are installed? do i have to take it to a special shop?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 08-26-2005, 08:31 AM

i never claim to be an expert, but it sounds like the piston hit the valves. better take the head off, sorry to hear that man. as a technician for infiniti, i know it is always important to have all tools and equipment before you start any project, including instructions. if you need any instructions from the factory manual let me know, i might be able to get them and fax them to you. email: prjkt240@yahoo.com. other than that, maybe you just didn't use the right torque specs or something when installing the cams, just some ideas, like i said, im no expert.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

i thank you for the help. i will let you know if i have any questions
Jay
Old 08-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

when you removed the cams did you make sure that the piston was on top dead center on the compression stroke... sounds like you had the motor 180 degrees off... this can and usually results in piston to valve contact... which would damage the valve and the rocker arm stoppers since it seems you have the sr20... i would suggest that you remove the head as stated above and check the valves and pistons for damage... after you get that figured out let me know and we will go from there...
Old 08-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

that sucks....how hard is it to remove the head if you have the oppropriate tools?

can i do it with hte motor in the car?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yeh u can. Ive taken heads off cars for years now and its pretty easy.

Follow these steps:
1- Take all sparkplugs, cables, hoses, etc off that attach to the head

2- Take off intake manifold and exhaust manifold.

3- Loosen the bolts for valve cover and take it off

4- Take of the main head bolts

5- If you cant do it by yourself, get somone to help you and grab the head and lift it up.

6- Check out what needs to be checked out

Ill show you how to put it back together when your done checking the head.

Ive done this on KA's, 4G63's, 4G67's and a bunch of other motors.

Its pretty easy if you have all the rite tools.

Check out the FSM so you know exactly which bolts to take off and in which order:
http://www.zeroyon.com/TheSite/techservice.html

If you need any help Jay, hit me up on AIM bro, u kno im always on.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

cool... thanks man. i dont know if i want to tackle this obsticle today or ever, but looks like thats the only way to get past this bump

ill let you know if i need help

Thanks guys

Jay
Old 08-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Ite, juss let me kno. ill walk you thru the whole process. At 1st i was scared to tackle the project too but then i juss went and did it.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

ok this is were i am at now..

took the head off and started looking for that stupid little stopper. well i cant find it. i check for piston vavle contact and there is none so i am good there. although, i did notice a lot a sludge build up on top a few of my pistons. in the begining i had a problem with #3 not firing soo that one i can understand. #1 has a pretty bad gouge in it, but that i cant fix now.
what are some things i can/have to do will this is apart - performance wise and to put it back to gether right? while i had this apart this much i was thinking new greddy plenum and better headgasket. after closer inspection we notice that my timing chain cover is leaking the slightest bit so i will be replacing that to.

for timing isssues, how do i get everything back to normal now? tdc - but which way do the cams go and all that?

i thank you in advance for the help.

Jay
Old 08-28-2005, 05:57 PM

i think it's first lobes (towards the gears) on exhaust and intake are pointing totally away from each other on tdc.

EDIT

oh wait you have the SR. I have no clue about the cams on the SR but the above statement is for the KA. I also believe that the JWT instructions are for the KA. I'm not sure if there is a difference in installation.

Last edited by KeN VeRsUs RyU; 08-28-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

It should show how to time it in the FSM
Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

cool....

that was my mistake though. i went to JWT for instructions on how to put in cams. i bought HKS cams DUH!!!

im an idiot. i will look for timing in the fsm