Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Performance Exhaust - Suggestions and Solutions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 08:47 PM

Performance Exhaust - Suggestions and Solutions.

I just recently purchased a 1989 Nissan 240Sx and I'd like to get a good racing exhaust.

Personally I think I'm going to end up getting a exhaust muffler and then getting 2.5 inch piping and putting mendrel bends into it, but I'd like to hear some suggestions on which exhaust puts out the best sound and performance.

I'm more worried about sound right now because I wont be putting any NOS or anything else that puts a big impact in speed when it comes to exhaust.

Basically I'm trying to ask who makes the best exhaust for the Nissan 240sx SE 1989...

Any suggestions will help.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Well the apex'i exhausts are good but they are kind of loud.

the greddy looks good and is not too loud but its $$

the hks hiper is about the same as the greddy different look.

blitz?

and thats about all that I can think of. I say its better to get one thats made for the car than do a "custom" exhaust, because it'll probably run you the same.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:58 AM
Regulate

I'm actually considering the same thing, getting a performance muffler and getting the 2.5 inch piping. Should run me around 300 dollars max right? Its kind of hard to find a full cat back exhaust system for the 240 for less than 400 dollars it seems.

I'm also worried about sound, I dont like REALLY loud mufflers, so I think I'm going to get one with a silencer.

What about mufflers from R1 or a JDM muffler from AC Autotechnic? Are these cheap (as in quality) mufflers/exhausts?

I looked into Apexi and I dont really like how they look. That and their loudness kind of ruled them out.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Well in NY a universal muffler is anywhere between 150-250 and with installation of custom piping that could be in the ball park of another 150-250 so that's why I said might as well go with something already made for the car that you know is going to give it some kind of power boost.

Not too familiar on the JDM products, but I love the Greddy sound and look.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:56 AM

Nah, I would shop around. The name brand exhaust setups are expensive but not the best. Unless your going with a titanium setup i would get the muffler and custom pipping. The reason is for the price they charge for lets say a HKS Hiper, A good performance shop can make a almost identical exhaust with stainless steel instead of mild steel. So I would look around for a place that can do mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust and buy from them. Also you can find universal mufflers cheap as hell on ebay.

Statik
Old 07-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Statik
... A good performance shop can make a almost identical exhaust with stainless steel instead of mild steel. So I would look around for a place that can do mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust and buy from them. Also you can find universal mufflers cheap as hell on ebay.

Statik
Well Two things with That:
1. Mandrel Bending is hard to find, especially a good place that does it. You can go to Midas, Mieneke, they bend pipes but not mandrel.
2. Universal Mufflers are cheap to find on Ebay, But do you really know what your getting? Is it free flow? Is it Loud? These are things that you don't know.

This kid that I know from the altimas.net group had a OBX muffler with silencer and he said that thing was loud as hell even with the silencer on, so don't believe a silencer will help on a universal muffler.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Import Fanatix

Well Two things with That:
1. Mandrel Bending is hard to find, especially a good place that does it. You can go to Midas, Mieneke, they bend pipes but not mandrel.
2. Universal Mufflers are cheap to find on Ebay, But do you really know what your getting? Is it free flow? Is it Loud? These are things that you don't know.

This kid that I know from the altimas.net group had a OBX muffler with silencer and he said that thing was loud as hell even with the silencer on, so don't believe a silencer will help on a universal muffler.
1. Yes, Mandrel Bending is hard to find, and almost any race shop can do the crush pipe bends. But i know theres a shop somewhere in nebraska that does mandrel bends. All you have to do is call around and someone will know a place. I would check with domestic shops first, especially drag shops.

2. Other then the weight of the muffler almost all of the straight through design mufflers are the same. Also he said he doesnt like the N1 style canisters which are the most free flowing mufflers, he also doesnt want alot of sound which N1 style units aren good for. Sounds like he's looking for something with a realtively large canister to actually muffle out the sound. The guy with the altima probably bought something like a OBX Bomb which everyone knows is loud as hell. Theres still other options like race resonators. To go as a semi rule of thumb the bigger the canister size the more it suppresses sound.

Statik
Old 07-31-2002, 12:52 PM
Regulate

I'm kind of torn between getting a dual tipped exhaust and a N1 type exhaust (3 " tip). I really like how the dual tips look, but what about the sound? If I were to get a coffee can size muffler, I would probably get it with a silencer. Which one sounds better? DTM or N1 with silencer?
Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

I myself am a fan of the N1 style muffler, not because it can shoot golf *****, but because it looks more sporty than a dual tip muffler.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Regulate

shoot golf *****, HA HA. Good for those tailgaters.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

if i were you i'd go with the N1 and get the silencer to drop db's
-7. also the N1 comes in dual tip with slightly smaller dia. to improve torque in the mid till you get more power. although i just got my 240 that'll be the pipe on mine
Old 08-15-2002, 01:18 AM
Contributing Member

Borla?
their website is pretty convincing- a million mile warranty
anybody hear anything about their mufflers?
Old 08-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

well i got a huge fart can ... but it came with the car... but it works fine... but its definitely better than stock....
Old 08-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Regulate

I'm looking into the N1 dual now. Still worried about the sound tho, because there is no silencer for the dual tips. Heard some good things about it though.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

yo... i dont know about u , but i dont like large fart cans... they are mostly on hondas for some reason... but hey man everyone talks nothing but good things about the n1... get it...

Quick Reply: Performance Exhaust - Suggestions and Solutions.