Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

remote starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 2fast4y0u
pretty much all of it...other than the part were HyJynX said no negative affects thats about the only thing that wasnt bull. like said, im not trying to be a little pun k about this but mine works great.
I don't see anything that's bull in here, except your "clutch override" suggestion. All it takes is a simple mod to the stock clutch switch.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

WHat's the point of a remote start anyways?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

For lazy people that dont want to go outside & start their car like a normal person.

Oh...it's to cold..
Old 11-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Project Cheap13
For lazy people that dont want to go outside & start their car like a normal person.

Oh...it's to cold..
Old 11-16-2004, 07:50 AM

its also kinda good for warming up the motor WITHOUT leaving your keys in the ignition, it has all the anti-theft features just like a turbo timer.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TSR20
its also kinda good for warming up the motor WITHOUT leaving your keys in the ignition, it has all the anti-theft features just like a turbo timer.
What!!!!

Ok, this is a known fact...
The car warms up MUCH faster & it is by far better for the engine to do so. Get in start it up, let the idle stabilize & dive away.
It's not like the car has a carb & a choke, where it HAD to warm up to run properly.

Like I said. It is for lazy people, who dont know anybetter.

A turbo timer is so the turbo doesnt cook the oil on shut down. But even those are pretty much worthless & are for lazy people. They are only supposed to be used when you are whooping the crap out of your car, stop & park it right away. If people drive like normal, most of the time they are driving at slow speed for 1-2 minutes before shut down anyway. You do after all have to drive slow through parking lots, drive way, side streets,ect.. which is MORE than ample time for the oil/turbo to cool down.

BTW, it is illegal to use a turbo timer on public roads, it is also illegal to leave a car running unattented PERIOD!!

Edited...Some of my post got lost( I guess I typed over it) so I had to edit it.

Last edited by Project Cheap13; 11-16-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:29 AM

end of topic, going nowhere, but isn't an sr20det illegal too....hmmm
Old 11-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

The topic is remote starters, not SRs or turbo timers.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

i would also like to add that Project Cheap13 has not a clue of whats going on!!! Lazy poeple my ***. what if you have forged internals. you cant put boost to cold forged internals. so theres one good reason to have a remote starter. also, its not because im lazy that I have one. My girlfreind bough it for me and you are just pissed that you dont have one. anyway, cool down is very important like you touched on. one for not cooking the oil and also what you didnt mention is so that you can let the rest of the motor/components cool down as well. Unlike Project Cheap13 i like to beat the hell out of my car instead of just ***** FOOTING it around town like a Granny.

And im done!

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

i would also like to add that Project Cheap13 has not a clue of whats going on!!! Lazy poeple my ***. what if you have forged internals. you cant put boost to cold forged internals. so theres one good reason to have a remote starter. also, its not because im lazy that I have one. My girlfreind bough it for me and you are just pissed that you dont have one. anyway, cool down is very important like you touched on. one for not cooking the oil and also what you didnt mention is so that you can let the rest of the motor/components cool down as well. Unlike Project Cheap13 i like to beat the hell out of my car instead of just ***** FOOTING it around town like a Granny.

And im done!

Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

It is for lazy people, who dont know anybetter.

A turbo timer is so the turbo doesnt cook the oil on shut down. But even those are pretty much worthless & are for lazy people. They are only supposed to be used when you are whooping the crap out of your car, stop & park it right away. If people drive like normal, most of the time they are driving at slow speed for 1-2 minutes before shut down anyway. You do after all have to drive slow through parking lots, drive way, side streets,ect.. which is MORE than ample time for the oil/turbo to cool down.

BTW, it is illegal to use a turbo timer on public roads, it is also illegal to leave a car running unattented PERIOD!!

Edited...Some of my post got lost( I guess I typed over it) so I had to edit it.
**just to conclude the random turbo timer business**
I agree, a remote starter is a "lazyfix" but IMO a turbo timer is more convenient. It's a lot easier to think ahead and start your car in the morning 3-5 minutes before you actually leave, then to always plan for 3-5 minutes of sitting in your car once you get to your destination. When I used to work in Irvine (commute in the morning was bumper to bumper for about an hour) you never knew when you'd arrive. That's why whenever you pull into the parking lot right before the shift started, there would be 5-6 cars still running, using turbo timers to cool the turbo and oil down while us employees get into the building on time. And maybe it's illegal where you are, but here there were a few times when local cops would roll by in the morning while all our cars were on, and they would come into reception asking if the receptionist knew why those cars were running with no one there (thus, unattended). A couple of us came downstairs to explain to the cops that the cars are locked and they are running as a "cool down" period for the engine before they shut off. The cops said "not a bad idea" and then gave us the "have a nice day" and left.

Turbo timers aren't worthless - I'd rather spend $130 on a turbo timer now than $1000 on a new turbo to replace the old turbo that coked up and died.

and now back to the actual topic:

2fast4you - you keep telling us that we have no clue what's going on blah blah blah... well FOR THOSE OF US WHO HAVE NO CLUE, I would like to also add that there is a function called an "EDIT" button on each and every post that you can use to change or delete DOUBLE POSTS

Don't confuse assumption from opinion. Project Cheap and I have an OPINION that remote starts are for lazy people - whereas you ASSUME that ProjectCheap is jealous (which I highly doubt) and drives like a grandma.

Seriously though - re-read the whole thread dude. No one said it can't be done. No one said it doesn't work. Make sure you have all your "clues" right before you burst in with a'bull' comment.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

2fast4yOu. You cant even drive in the snow yet, you say I have no clue what is going on?
You have no clue of anything I drive do you?

Forged internals, has nothing to do with anything..LOL You cant put boost to cold forged internals...what?

As for the turbo timers. Lets see, Audi, Saab, Subaru, Mitsubishi, ect...NEVER put turbo timers in their cars( I wont even mention all the turbo diesel trucks). Yet the engine last into the 170-200K mileage range at the very least.
So tell me again why they are so good?

Knowledge & experience will always trump "I heard on the internet". But as they say "you cant tell young kids anything let them learn for themselves". Think & do what ya want. It's your car. Most of you wont have them long enough to do damage anyway.

I'm done with this thread.

Last edited by Project Cheap13; 11-16-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

2fast4yOu. You cant even drive in the snow yet, you say I have no clue what is going on?
You have no clue of anything I drive do you?

Forged internals, has nothing to do with anything..LOL You cant put boost to cold forged internals...what?

As for the turbo timers. Lets see, Audi, Saab, Subaru, Mitsubishi, ect...NEVER put turbo timers in their cars( I wont even mention all the turbo diesel trucks). Yet the engine last into the 170-200K mileage range at the very least.
So tell me again why they are so good?

Knowledge & experience will always trump "I heard on the internet". But as they say "you cant tell young kids anything let them learn for themselves". Think & do what ya want. It's your car. Most of you wont have them long enough to do damage anyway.

I'm done with this thread.
correction: most of THEM.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

ok first off, so im not a forum geek to know how to delete doulbe post. my bad. i didnt know i had to learn how to work the forums to post things. mistakes happen, that why pencil have ereasers. second, i never read anyone saying that a remote start COULDNT be done, i believe i read that they were interested if it could be. so i shed my light on the situation that i can be succesfully. then the whole turbo timer things came about, which i could care less if they are illegal places. GUESS WHAT??? street racing is illegal and people do it. so is speeding and i guess you could possibly get in trouble for that one as well...WHO CARES WHATS LEGAL OR NOT. i didnt know that the thread starter was asking for a legal opinion on anything. CONGRATS on getting out a ticket as well with the whole turbo timer thing. i bet you feel great about that

and the forged internal thing...Lets put it this way. if you ever have the opprotunity to get your engine that built, than congradulations. my buddy cant put boost to his cold forged motor or it will break ****.

I also could care less what you drive or what your driving abilities are. So hopefully you realize that quoting me and trying to prove me wrong didnt work so well.
and whats this whole thing about me not being able to drive in the snow yet? where did ya get that one from? another thread that i replied to or what?

oh before i forget. all the cars that a produce through major companies use smaller turbos as well so the cool some what faster so they dont have to install more electronic(illegal)components in the cars for everyday john smith that will be driving them. that might not be the scientific reason they dont put turbo timers on there but its makes damn good sense.

you can also have your opinion on anything you want, its a free country. but when you post things for people to read make sure you tell them its opinion instead of " fact "

i think that concludes everything.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

i also look forward to what you have to say next, so i can waste more of my life arguing with some one i will never meet. doesnt that sound like fun to do. So, pleas make sure what ever you type back is full of things that i can reply to.
LOVE,
2fast4y0u

Quick Reply: remote starter?