Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Blackzenki82's Gold Zenki SR build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

so being the person that i am, always rushing ****, when i attached the SR bell housing to the KA trans, i moved one of the gear selector "rods" and so the only gears i had were 5th and reverse.... UGH.... so i tore it all back down, used the old SR gear box to figure it out (who cares if i **** that one up).... turns out there's three gear selector "rods" and they each have three settings.. in, middle, out.. i figured, after some "rod" moving, that if there's the wrong combination, it wouldn't go into a particular gear... put them all in "middle" and boo yah, all gears shift smoothly.... just a thought for any of you doing the same thing, and think you screwed up.... just a tip!!!!

i even checked the SR gear box to see if thats why reverse didn't work in it... nope, somthing else is ****ed up with that...

now i have to repaint the damn tranny... cause now it has greasy hand and finger prints all over it... DO WORK!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

well guys, did more work today, i'll let the pics and captions take it away....

here's the engine bay AFTER i cleaned it, i know, it doesn't look like much, but the car is a POS and a lot of these are stains, i would paint it, but why? it's going to be a my DD/drift beater... 4 cans of engine degreaser and 2 scrubbers later....

so i sourced all the AC stiff from the black car, cause well, i live in Florida and it gets HOT here.... plus, an SR with AC and PS? FTW!!!
AC radiator/condenser

Rear AC line ran, even with that strange weighted plate... also, got the perfect condition PS reservoir and GReddy EBC mounted.. PS reservoir that came with the car was JUNK!!

"cleaned" my Koyo radiator... doesn't look like it but it's actually 10x better...i'll be bending back some of the fins as well... improve the flow of air and all...

good little shot of my HKS step 1 cams and GReddy RAS...

so here we have a shot of the fan relay wire cut, and was taped up... original owner had the flex-a-lite fans wired directly to the fuse box, so i'll be using the relay, and the S14 KA single radiator fan (flex-a-lite has only one working fan anyways..), i sourced the connector from the black car as well

FIXED!!!

also, the previous owner did some weird **** to the driver side headlight plug, and i once again, sourced the perfect one off the black car... before the repair, the dirver side headlight would be dim, due to a bad connection.... no more!!!
burnt plug..

black car plug FTW!!!

and fixed.... PROPERLY... the previous owner did it with no solder, just electrical tape..

well that's all for now guys.... i pulled the front bumper off to see if i could knock some **** around on the core support to get the driver side headlight to align right, and got lazy, came in side, and now here i am typing this....

next on the list (might get to today)-

passenger side Tension Rod bracket
Z32 fuel filter
go pick up new hood and front bumper and install
put in inner fender linings from black car into gold car
get driver side of the trunk to close properly (car was rear ended, previous owner said a tree fell on it... if i see him again, he's getting punched in the face with no warning) ... plus the black doors are in PERFECT condition, and the golds are kinda dinged up...
swap the whole driver and passenger doors off the black car and ignition switch as well (original key is so worn, it can't be recut, and i have to jiggle the door locks for like 10 seconds to get it to unlock... PITA)
a few other little loose ends to tie up before motor gets here and some of the parts i ordered come rolling in....

Stay Tuned!!!

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 12-26-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

so i rounded up some parts, and my fidanza friction plate came in.... you guys know how i was worried that it was a spec flywheel and not a fidanza, and that the friction plate i ordered wasn't going to fit... well it lines up PERFECT, even came with all new hardware for install... awesomesauce...

new friction plate, w/old one.....

truck full of parts, and FREE parts... i have another truckload to grab... as for whats here....

S14 Zenki hood (some dings, but nothing major... easy fixes)
S14 Zenki front bumper MINT
S14 bumper reinforcement (need to fix the junk job on mine)
CLEAN fuze box cover
OEM AC fan (one one fan working on flex-a-lites anyways, and bolt to factory location on Koyo)
random misc nuts and bolts i need to finish/tie up loose ends.....

and for those who haven't seen it.... this is also coming in the mail..... DOPE!!!!!

more updates on installing this ****e coming soon... tomorrow is a big DO WORK day.... my clutch, should be coming in the mail tomorrow, so big big tranny day as well....

STAY TUNED!!!!

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 12-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

well guys, got more work done today.... getting **** done FAST.... once again, pics and captions.....

first thing was getting the replacement bumper reinforcement on... no pics of that but it took me about 45 minutes of beating the **** out of the frame on the driver side to get this thing to fit and work right but i finally got it on... here's my buddy EZ cutting the notch out for the 4" FMIC...

end result... the drive side isn't sagging... that's loose frame right there... got it fixed though....

here i am, grinding down so extra space for the FMIC... lovely sparks...

just a pre install mock up of the FMIC, and EZ throwing up his deuces... finally the bumper bracket lines up perfectly with both of the fender bolt locations... i can have a grill again!!! i completely reinstalled the FMIC the PROPER way... custom fabbed some brackets, drilled like 23489623498723 holes, and now that ***** isn't going anywhere....

another mock up of the front end... i know, different colors=FAIL, but appearance isn't high on the list right now.... notice how the headlights finally sit nice and in place like they're supposed to now? a 3lb sledge is my friend.... cut out all the stuff to fit the FMIC from the bumper.. cut myself pretty good too....

all my stuff came in the mail today, except my polished valve cover....
APEXi SUPERINTAKE filter and APEXi MAF adapter...

my clutch stuff also came in today.... F1 stage 3 pressure plate, ACT un sprung 6 puck disk, and i installed the new friction plate on the Fidanza flywheel... also came with new pilot bushing, throwout bearing, and alignment tool...

another thing i got knocked out today, was the cracked tension rod bracket... it was cracked, and soft as cotton so i sourced it from the black car, as well as the "like new" tension rod from the black car, and installed all that.... talk about a pain in the ***... replacing simple parts on a car with front end frame damage is a pain in the ***..... was too busy doing it to take pics though, sorry guys....

things i've still gotta do before motor gets here (estimated arrival date 1/5/09)

put the hood on, drill holes for hood pins (factory bracket and mount is DONE, remember core support is F'd up..)
fully secure front bumper
reinstall all front lights and wires

almost there guys....

stay tuned.....
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Making alot of progress there man! Congrats.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

thanks man!!

more stuff coming soon as i have to get ready for the motor when it gets here....
Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Cool. I'm still waiting for my final cash to come in so I can begin the process of rebuilding my KA with all forged internals.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM

Awesome progress man, have you uncovered any new hacks on the car? The valve cover is awesome!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

i think i found all the "hacks"... last thing to really fix is the F'd up tranny harness... love my speed sensor and back up lights!!!!

got most of the other bugs worked out, now it's really just a matter of putting it all back together, and then getting a paint job so all the body panels match....
Old 01-03-2009, 09:52 PM

Looks like a good build so far bro... keep it up!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlackZenki82
i think i found all the "hacks"... last thing to really fix is the F'd up tranny harness... love my speed sensor and back up lights!!!!

got most of the other bugs worked out, now it's really just a matter of putting it all back together, and then getting a paint job so all the body panels match....
Glad to here that its coming together. Have an idea for a color? Also did you end up getting those wheels?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

no word on the wheels yet, but i'm still in contact with the guy on a every few day basis... it's basically when his Volk TE37s come in, he's going to make the drive from his house to mine, and i'll finish the random work on his car that needs to be done and i then get the wheels...

as far as the color, i believe i'm going to stick with the gold... once i get some $$ saved i'll just get some cheap *** maaco jobber for like $300... i know how bad maaca is but i figure that since this is going to be my daily driver/drift beater, no need to invest close to 4k in the body and paint like i did with my black car... especially with the frame damage...

motor should be here Wednesday... been kinda lazy, and looking forward to some good wrench turning time, and getting this beast back on the road... so as always, stay tuned!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

my new SR long block will be here tomorrow!!!!!! confirmed!!!! to my door!! after two weeks, I'm finally getting it....

JDM online is a good company to buy from, but screw the shipping company that they use, and screw the holiday back log on shipments....

this motor WILL be in my car before Friday, so i can have some good weekend cruising, stay tuned for install pics, trials and tribulations...

I'm feeling like a kid two days before Christmas...... almost have a automotive rubbery one...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM

nice rebuild bro.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Hope everything is going well with the new motor

Quick Reply: Blackzenki82's Gold Zenki SR build thread.