Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Blackzenki82's Gold Zenki SR build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Blackzenki82's Gold Zenki SR build thread.

for some history on this car for those who don't know.... this is a copy and paste from my former NA build threads on various forums...

we all know that i wrecked my car to avoid a deer... so the adjuster is coming by tomorrow to cut me a check for the car, and i'll be buying it back... since i can't retitle it I'm going to use it as a parts car, and for a part out, to try and make some of my money back on the buy back...

with whats left over, I'm thinking of buying this Gold S14 base for $4100 cash with around 85k miles on the chassis and around 70k on the black top, it's needs alot of TLC, most of which i can pull off of my Black S14 that's totaled... mostly interior bits here and there, radio bezel, shift boot, ignition surround, and few minor bits and peices on the inside...

engine runs kinda rough, it must be a a MAF sensor (will replace with Z32 maf listed below, and i have a feeling it's got a to be a vacuum leak somewhere, it idles like it's misfiring on a cyl, but as soon as RPMS are above 1k, it's smooths out great and pulls hard... Also, the seals on the turbo are bad and has no gasket between the turbo and the mani, turbo smokes and has moderate shaft play.. at anywhere after say 35mph, the steering wheel shakes like it's trying to **** it's self and run away, my S14 does the same, just not so bad... more parts of the parts car (i hate calling it that "parts car", and now i will cry for a minute)

Okay done crying, as for the outside as you can see in the following photos, the front panels are pretty much shot, both fenders, hood (which due to lack of fastening the hood pins, flew open and shattered the windshield), and the roof being dented... all of which parts, except for the roof i can pull off of my car, as well as my buddy's parts car, namely hood and fenders... the trunk is also bad, which a tree fell on, it's just misaligned and needs to be replaced, also another thing i can pull of my wrecked S14...

as far as the mods go it has....

S13 Black top SR20DET
hks wastegate actuator
greddy type s bov
greddy profec spec II boost controller
greddy turbo timer
Apexi safc2
Brian Crower stage 2 cams 264/264
VLSD
big *** intercooler
greddy intercooler piping
walbro fuel pump
autometer boost gauge
autometer oil gauge not connected
underdrive pully set
full 3" exhaust
Apexi N1 catback
Racing Hart 18" wheels
Eibach lowering/race springs, front are heated to lower car for SR
B&M short throw shifter with B&M round ****

extra things that come with the car...
two coil packs
sr20det fuel pump
ecu
300zx mas air flow sensor
sr20det cam angle sensor
bare sr20det head
greddy front mount intercooler (dent in the bottom)
two stock wheels with 100 percent tread

well here's a few shots of the car...

ext

motor...

Apexi N1 cat back..

and now to get current and up to speed....

well guys, i finally brought this bucket home... it made it on a 2hr trip with no screw ups.... the suspension is shot out, the brakes are non existent, and the idle is rough and the starter isn't getting enough ground/power one or the other...

today i went to start the five lug swap, then saw that it had a security lug nut... and i was an idiot and didn't check the glove box so i gave that up (later looked in the glove box and there it was).

so instead i figured i's take care of some of the cosmetic things, so i swapped over my headlights, and light bulbs (silvania silverstar ultras) and my cheap-o fake HID high beam bulbs... and found out that the driverside harness was ate up and i'll have to use the harness from the parts car (the black Zenki), to make it light up correctly (low beam is dim as hell)...

after that i decided to figure out why the shifter was soooo wobbly so i tore open the center console, and got in to the shifter, found out that the upper boot had no screws holding it down (why do i think this is going to be the story of this car??)... after i removed the upper boot, i realized that at least it is a true V2 B&M shifter... with no boot... again, pulled from the parts car...
after removing the shifter lever, i found out why it was so wobbly.. the lower bushing on the ball was missing, so since the car came with the stock SR shifter, i took it off and swapped it out... easy, got the boot on, trim all back and went to put in my radio bezel and another mess...

found out the crappy CD player wasn't fully secured and was actually hard wired into the original harness (weak sauce) and that wasn't something i wanted to get into... the SAFC is wired through the back of the vents in between so i cant remove the vent panel with out breaking it (two of the locking tabs are already broken anyways so when i get motivated i'll finish her off). so i reinstalled everything, got the radio bezel back on in a half way recognizable fashion, and even rewired the cigg lighter (i'm a smoker and use it, just not the ashtray, which i NEVER use)... got it all peiced back together and for now, called it a night... i had a long drive on shot suspension and a turbo that as soon as it started boosting, smoked out the car bad... had to ride most the way under 30% throttle (i know that cuz the SAFC told me, it is good for SOME things...) which was kind of a pain... i mean come up, you scoop up a turbo car thats most likely pushing 220 to the wheels and you can't even romp on it...

here's some pics, there will be many more to come as i document the resurrection on this car...

just got home, look at my two babies, popped the hood to get ready to jack her up...

getting on what i thought was the five lug swap...

just a quick little motor shot... first time boosting... EVAR!!!

replacement turbo, Garret GT28...r? dunno... sez .63 AR... brand new, scooped it up for $350... Ball Bearing... woot woot..

ADD: i just went outside to look at this kids "custom downpipe" and it IS nice... but it's only held on with one bolt... no wonder the smokey turbo smokes all under the hood and in the car... ARG!!!! time to do more work...

at least i scooped it up for $3800

thats it for now guys, stay tuned for the rebuild of this heap.... more too come and thanks for reading through...

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 11-25-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

the seats in the new40 are the dark gray color, single tone, and at first i was like hell yeah, till i saw that the fabric was coming off of the seat foam.... looks like i'll be swapping in my like new Black zenki seats with their two tone color... UGH... got to be put together, not raggedy.... i'll be out of town, down in St. Pete till Friday, but this weekend will be a MASSIVE rebuild day.... i'll be custom fabbing a turbo elbow to get this GT28 on there ASAP to fix the smoking.... it'll mostly be a weekend of putting everything back together, and tie up loose ends that previous owner got, what looks like, half way done, and called it finished.... just getting it right.... then comes engine... full maintainance, possible re wire in some places (starter isn't getting enough juice, need to figure out why), check for boost/vacuum leaks, get P/S high pressure hose situated... 5 lug swap (not to sure cause i kinda like these racing harts.. i dunno).... MOST DEFINITELY NEED TO GET THE BRAKES IN ORDER, they are in horrible shape... like to the floor and it's not stopping.... no pads, the base rubbing straight on the rotors... rear caliper on the passenger side has a leak ( brand new OM rear calipers on the parts car woot woot).... so with the five lug swap my cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads will get swapped over also.. to get some stopping power on par with the motor...
Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Seems like every 240 owner has to own more than one 240 at a time. one broken, one in ok shape. goodluck
Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

thanks man... i have a feeling i'm going to need it....
Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

fixed ****....

brakes (HOLY CRAP, you should have seen the right rear caliper, pics coming soon)
suspension (heated springs, blown OE shocks)
driver side window and and switch assembly
cracked and leaking (UGH) stock oil catch hose
ghetto *** power and ground wires, rewired and fixed, car starts with out pushing
re did vacuum lines for the Greddy Type S BOV (missing a vacuum line to the intake)
adjusted trunk so it sits correctly, and not unflush

so after the brakes (replaces right rear with new or 1k miles caliper) and the suspension (sourced the Tein S-Tech springs and OE shocks from the black car) the car actually rides like a half way decent car now... and i can stop it without pushing the pedal all the way to the floor.. awesomesauce. also both driver and passenger windows work with no problems, car will start without having to roll it forward or backward to help the starter along (bad power/ground).

quick story, as stated, the oil catch hose was cracked, and he had the other end of the "T" on the PCV(?) capped off, no filtered, so while showing off for some friends, the oil pressure built up enough to fill the catch can, and push the oil dip stick out of the shaft, hence, blowing oil all over the engine, road, under car... just a horrible mess... so next day i got to advance, get a new hose and oil breather filter, problem fixed, and the car doesn't smoke NEAR as bad as it did when i first got it, even under boost... drove it from ST Pete to gainesville with almost no smoke... awesome.... it's the little things guys...

so far that's the update.... much more to come tomorrow when i replace the half blown stock T25 with a brand new Garret TB2804 for a Pulsar GTIR (need different exhaust housing first). which i may be getting free...

no pics tonight, which as most of you know, i usually post em, but i'll get some tomorrow of the progress, different ride height, and cleaned up vac lines...
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

well it's Saturday the 29th and once again, i got more work done on this heap, it's getting out of heap status and graduating to "pile" status...

things i did today....

removed stock T25 and manifold (bottom mounts are a bich)
did a test fit of the TB2804 on the stock mani, not sure if waste gate will transfer
reran some messed up vacuum lines
replaced beat and worn gray Base S14 seats with my nice SE's
fixed driver side kick panel (was hanging open with misc wires)
replaced F'd steering wheel with perfect one from parts car
replaced steering column trim (unscrewed, adhesive slag, just nasty)
replaced Base headlight, wiper lever switch with SE unit, very nice
replaced black faced Base gauge cluster with white SE cluster
tucked boost gauge wires in dash (we hanging lose between dash and door)
replaced driver side door sill (only two tabs were holding the old one on)
put the little button tab on the door panel by hinge (it's the little things)
got the ignition trim put on (was missing, not anymore !!!)
tucked misc wires that were hanging below the dash
REPLACED WINDSHIELD!!! no more shattered glass

just kinda started getting the turbo swap started, wating on a 5 bolt exhaust housing for the TB2804, and will be installing, hopefully i can find a way to mount the HKS adjustable waste gate to the new turbo, don't know if i can though, UGH... got a lot of the interior replaced, and fixed, to get it looking like a halfway decent car on the inside... driver comfort and all... I'm loving the SE gauge cluster, the blue LED upgrade in it matches the turbo timer, CD, player, greddy profec B II and will match the Auto Meter Cobalt gauges i have and will be installing as soon as i get a matching boost gauge and 3 A pillar gauge pod....

i'll let the photos do the talking from here....

pulling mani and T25

turbo comparison, TB2804 on left, stock T25 on the right...

getting the windshield taken care of... old guy was the installer lol

starting the get the interior FIXED....

new old seats... miles better than base seats....

finished and CLEAN!!!

for those who may have doubted how bad the right rear caliper was...

welcome to my office....

well that's all for now guys, more to come tomorrow, and probably the next day.... hopefully i can get my turbo problems situated before too long so i can get this thing back on the road.... i dread driving that big a$$ Tahoe around all the time....

Stay Tuned.....
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

well guys, once again, Sunday the 30th, i did more work...

it all started with getting the interior in order, to match that of a REAL S14.. so what i did as far as inside the car goes, is pull the broken AC control bezel out and replaced with with my perfect one from the parts car, having to drill a pocket for the SAFCII wire..... since the CD player was ****, the one that came with the car, i replaced it with my Pioneer DEH-6800, a nice unit, kinda old but still kicks ***.... after i got that in, i cleaned up the locations of the turbo timer, and the greddy profec B spec II, just to tidy things up,. i also replaced the base rear speaker cover (damaged, 2 tabs holding it in) with my SE one (perfect condition) so the rear is deck is situated.. after all was said and done i topped off the gutz with the OEM "240SX" front and rear floor mats... car now looks like a CLEAN car, as afar as the interior goes... you should have seen it before hand....

after that i moved to the trunk, yet again, what a mess... i had to replace all the screwed up linings, trust me, it was bad, with the perfect ones from my SE parts car, pics below... you'd be surprised how much time it takes to get all that crap swapped... i also, while in the rear, replaced the dented and screwed up trunk lid with my black one from the SE, looks kinda cool, especially with the smoked zenki tails, not to mention it sez "Silvia" on it... you can't imagine all the hammer work i had to do to get it sit right (car was previously in a rear end collision, thanks for telling me seller...), anyways, it sits a lot better now, had to beat out the rear bumper cover support to get the bumper lines to match up with the tail lights correctly...

other than that, not much else was accomplished today, even though it took me about 4 hours to get everything right, hammering, screwing, unscrewing, blah blah... at least now the trunk and interior is presentable... more photos after the detail...

pics....

radio replacement.... crappy DEH-3800

confusing cluster**** of wires.... turned out plug and play, love pioneer..

AC trim in, pioneer DEH-6800 installed and slighty relocated boost controller..

redone and cleaned up trunk... needs to be detailed i know... should have seen it before..UGH!!!!

and the black trunk with smoked Zenkis, sorry bout bad quality, pics taken at night...

baratatat came by today and pulled the good ol KA out of the parts car, got it done, was a process, but got it done... here's pics of the engine removal... i helped a bit... lol

and for a BONUS of epic proprtions.... while brian AKA baratatat was pulling the motor the first time, the valve cover got hung up on the firewall and lifted the whole car up, and since his hoist was missing a bolt, it swung the car off the jack stands and resulted in this EPIC FAIL... someone photoshop plz.... i mean the car was sitting about sideways in my carport... loves...

other than that, that tops it off for today.... tomorrow i'll be seeing turbo charlie about my TB2804 and getting everything i need to get it on my SR, if it can without spending an a$$ load of money, but like normal, i'll keep ya'll in the know...

stay tuned...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

couple new purchases, i just scooped up and Auto Meter Cobalt +/-30PSI 2 1/16 boost gauge to match my cobalt series oil pressure and A/F gauges, as well as a 3 pod A pillar mount to install them in....

the new gauge as well as the pod should be at my house in about the same time my custom/upgraded Garret T28 is ready on Tuesday of next week.... sweetsauce, will of course post photos and ****e...
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Well, looks like i finally have all my gauges ready, the auto meter cobalt -/+ boost gauge just came in today... just tore open the box like a kid at Christmas, and it's pretty damn cool looking IMO...

The blue of the gauges will match my blue LED gauge cluster upgrade, my GReddy turbo timer, and my GReddy profec B spec II boost controller, APEXi S-AFCII as well as closely matching my pioneer DEH-6800 head unit..

Just a few more things waiting to come in the mail before my turbo is ready...

A pillar 3 Gauge pod
T28 HKS waste gate bracket
Megan Racing Stainless Steel bottom mount SR manifold

Will post updates as they come along ladies gents!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Damn, wish my project was moving along as fast as yours. I want to rebuild the SR sometime this winter.

Project looks awesome.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Moving along nicely man. Hope your back on the road soon. I have to wait for charity...I mean christmas money...to come in before I can do any real work on my car.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:27 PM

and this is why i want to move to Florida. its way to cold to work on a car right now where im at. you have virtually no downtime and can work on a car all year.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

thanks guys!!! all you're support actually keeps me moving on this project, a few times, just standing back and looking at this bucket, i've been like "do i really want to do all this to this car?" but it folks like you, who keep me truckin' and doing work...

as another update, i got the power steering lines fixed on the SR, thank god for a parts car to source all this stuff from, makes my job a whole lot easier, AND faster, luckily enough, i already had the turbo out, and that made clearance to get down to those lines a ZERO problemo... so YAY for power steering!!! next up, sway bar, and brakes, cross drilled and slotteds here we goooooooooooo!

thanks again guys, and more updates to come soon...
Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM

Seeing projects move like this gets me motivated to work on my 240, its depressing when your project car can not be driven.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Evans1109
its depressing when your project car can not be driven.
mine can't be driven, cause my turbos in cali, and it blows *****, i just bought the car last Tuesday, and i haven't been able to drive it since sunday...

but even if the car wont move, don't let that stop you, i take it as an opportunity to get other things done... restoring the interior, trunk, getting some loose ends tied up, anything i can till she's running again... hopefully money isn't a factor in your build, it sure is in mine... i went into the negatives when i bought this car... i hadn't had friend hook ups and selling parts off my black car... i wouldn't be anywhere near where i am now with it in such a short amount of time... if i didn't i'd be driving it right now with a bad oil seal on the turbo, blowing smoke out my *** every time i get into boost...

all ya gotta do is keep on truckin, find little things, like just clean the engine, rebuild stuff, even if it doesn't need it, you'll gain the knowledge and exp from it, and will thank yourself later when said part/object fails, and you already know how to fix it... it's what i do...

Quick Reply: Blackzenki82's Gold Zenki SR build thread.