Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Thats the motor thats in my dad's tahoe. It's a beast. Im guessing thats why you dont have a tranny yet (trucks only came as automatics)?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 PM

Exactly.^^^^
I don't need much for the tranny swap, fly wheel, tranny & bellhousing. Plus a computer tune to remove the VATS, remove automatic shift points and other automatic things. Then comes the tricky thing, this engine has a "drive by wire" throttle body, which is electronically controlled, unlike our cable pulled 240 throttle bodies. I'm somewhat stumped as to what to do here. I've heard you can make the "drive by wire" work with the 240's, but it's complicated. But I don't know if i can just get a cable throttle body off of a camaro/firebird, then have the "drive by wire" shizzle removed from the pcm, then just remove that section of the wiring harness.
Any thoughts on that guys???
Thanks in advance for any help
Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

You're going to have to use whatever GM's equivalent of a body control module is. Get the whole pedal assembly from a tahoe. The drive by wire is tied into the fuel system. Couldnt you just run a custom ecu setup? I know somebody just made a thread with this engine, you should look for it.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM

Well, I got some pretty good work done today. I started by assembling the old engine stand we had dismantled in the parts room. Then I proceeded to pull the automatic flywheel off and remove the wiring harness. I was amazed at how easily all the plastic clips came off and I only had one break. Once the engine was on the stand I removed the stock headers, seeing as they'll be tossed; man they are heavy for being as small as they are. Once all that stuff was off and out of the way, I pulled all the accessories (water pump, alternator, starter, ac) from the block.
That was about it for today, But tomorrow I should be able to get the GTO oil pan and all that on.

After some research I've decided to do away with the "drive by wire" business. It's easy enough, just buy an aftermarket 80-90mm Camaro/Firebird throttle body, extend my cable if needed, have the "drive by wire" stuff removed from the PCM when I do the PCM, then remove the "drive by wire" section from the harness.

Anyway, here's some pics of todays work.
Attached Thumbnails Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-dsc03530.jpg   Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-dsc03535.jpg   Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-dsc03538.jpg   Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-dsc03542.jpg   Finally got my 240!!! Slowly but surely build thread too...-dsc03548.jpg