Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

My S13 build. Phase 01. Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:02 AM

that's the first place i went to.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

nice pix Bumnah, looking good. Get some more up as the new parts come in
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 PM

yeah i'll take more pix. i can't wait to photgraph my flywheel. taking forever to get it in!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 PM

Update time!

What I did over the weekend

Install the turbo manifold back on with new gaskets
Install Greddy turbo elbow
Install Cusco motor mounts
Install new heater hoses
Modify heat shields for the manifold due to the egt gauge.
I took off my thermostat housing and the water return neck so my friend could sandblast and paint them for me.

The turbo manifold wasn't bad at all to install. Using a 14mm flex socket and plenty of extensions you can access the bolts easily.

The Greddy turbo elbow on the other hand; PITA! My first mistake was not installing it while the turbo and manifold were off the motor. Second mistake I used the Greddy supplied hardware (studs are too short). I wound up putting the oem studs back and the 3 bolts. Worked well, but the Greddy nuts are 12mm so you have a little more clearance to make it work well. One last bolt wouldn't torque down well so I did my best with it, and decided to take the manifold off once again to get at the bolt at a better angle. Hopefully it won't leak. The best setup is to use oem studs (buy 3 extra) and greddy nuts (12mm vs OEM 13mm). Shouldn't be too bad then. I have no idea how people install this thing with the motor in the car.

Here a picture of it installed:

Heater hoses were pretty simple. I picked them up at car quest, same thing enjuku sells on their site, just half the price. Tell me if I install them properly. The long hose is going to go the top inlet on the firewall, bottom one will go to the bottom inlet on the firewall

Cusco mounts installed. I couldn't figure out which side left and right (not markings on the mounts). So I decided the mount with the angular cut was for the exhaust side. Here pix let me know if they are on the correct side...

Exhaust side:

Alternator side:

I took the differential cover off so I could verify it was indeed 4.36 gearing. Saw the 48:11 stamp and was very glad to have it. The differential looked pretty clean already, but I did spray it down with brake cleaner and got soem gunk out. Slapped some ultra grey RTV on it. Ready to get installed. I may install it this weekend. Took a wire bursh to the cover and cleaned it up some.

4.36 gearing with VLSD

I ordered up the last of the stuff I needed for the swap. My flywheel is still MIA, so just gotta get that taken care of and order up some odds and ends. This baby is going to run next month come hell or high water.

Last edited by Bumnah; 04-01-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

cool bro.. u like sepia pictures i c LOL
Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 PM

no just ****ty lighting
Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Almost ready to get this thing in the car.

I finally located the crush washers I needed for my oil line. So now the whole assembly is back on (thank god!). Hopefully it won't leak .

I took off my belts, took off my pullies on the alternator and the power steering pump. I'm going to replace those with the greddy pieces. I took off the water pump and put in place a new one.

The new water pump does not come with the studs to mount the pulley to it, you have to reuse your old ones. I stripped my old studs using my stud remover; So I just ordered up some new studs from mcmaster-carr.com. Picked up new nuts, and lock washers at the same time as well.

If the remaining parts come in soon I can get everything put back together. All that's left is to pull the pilot bearing out and in the new one. I'm going to clean the trasnmission bell housing and install my new throw out bearing and clutch pivot fork and all that jazz. I'm looking ready to put the motor in. Just need that damn fly wheel to show up.

Didn't really take pictures of anything. Just took one picture of the front of the block without the water pump.

This weekend I'm going to try and install my steering rack (non hicas ) and rear diff. I'm debating on getting refurbished axles from carquest, or waiting till I break one.

Enjoy.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

wait till they break. Hahahaha. Everything looks almost done. Good work. What camera are you using?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 AM

Looks good, I'm moving this to the "Members Rides" section.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Looking at the post it's got a ton of pictures making it slow to laod. So I setup with thumbnails. I still wanna ***** my parths though
Couple parts came in:

Samco Hoses

Circuit Sport Exhaust hangers. I'm hoping these will keep the exhaust closer to the frame and keep the movement to a minimum. @ $25 why not?

Fal-220 Fans. I hated that damn mechanical fan from the start .

I also picked up a new Clutch master cylinder. I figured I'm cracking the system open might as well do this too and not have to go back when the 14 year old piece eventually fails.

Just a couple more parts left. This baby is ready to go in!

Last edited by Bumnah; 03-29-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Nice man, victory is almost yours
Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work so far.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bottombunk
Nice work so far.
****. I hope to do a build project along the lines of your motor build. That'll be my project next year. I dunno though there's so much I want to do. I'm more interested in the chassis building than the engine. My goals are easily to attain now. 300 whp. I really want awesome throttle response and a motor that revs like a motorcycle engine. We'll see....
Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

nice list of parts and great work man, i cant wait to see this finished. and i agree with ruiz, wait til the axles break.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Merry Christmas!

Alright. Probably no more update until the end of April, but that's my goal to have it all finished up.

Some more of the remaining parts came in. I've been waiting for box especially

ohhh big pretty box.

Box inside box.

Don't call captain planet.

Don't call the authorities.

Waiting on Greddy pullies, koyo radiator, and FAL fan controller. And the damn flywheel to finally show up!

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: My S13 build. Phase 01. Engine Swap