Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

picked up an s14,its definitely a little different, needs some stuff, check it out

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Nice progress again. I would offer to weld that stuff up for free but I don't trust myself enough to weld a manifold. Those vband flanges are stainless too, right?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 PM

eManage...yummy. I'm lovin the setup.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:36 AM

yeah i understand, thats why i didnt want to try welding it all myself too. the v-band flanges are actually all mild steel, there are just some small gaps between the pipe and the flange, so i was afraid of burning through ......

thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 AM

Well if you haven't finished the welding yet... there are a few cheap places near campus ($30-$40 for everything), and if you want expensive/quality ($100+) I know of a shop for that too.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

welding is like PBJ sandwhiches..... good every-time you make them hahah.

good stuff bro.. I have not been commenting. but I have been tracking you.... this is good work man. I cant wait to see it "done" hahah.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 PM

thanks guys.

well i went to get everything welded on saturday morning and was told that i need to make everything fit much better if i plan to tig it. i said why not just mig it, i really dont care how pretty it is since its not an expensive manifold and they said that the mig will not be strong enough. do you guys agree with this? definitely sucks if true because i was pretty happy with what i came up with.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM

a lil bit. the "pie cuts" that you made should b flush before welding. its called slash'n'weld piping and any respectable welder would not attempt to fill those huge gaps. just redo your cuts & try to get the pieces to fit together flush. then they can weld it, have enough material to get enough penetration of the weld & make it seal properly. thats all
Old 11-30-2009, 08:57 PM

also, i do agree with the mig not being strong enough. turbo's put out alot of heat & mig welders arent that great @ penetrating/sealing.

Last edited by carps13guy; 11-30-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

hey I might have a 90* 3" mandrel bend that I'll let you have for a couple bucks too. Let me know if you need it and what you decide to do with this whole manifold situation.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

yea if I migged that with my welder.. it would be gas only..... you can penetrate much better like I did on my holset....

your pie cuts have the right idea.. but your gaps are to wide as said above.. thats alot of filler and just would create more work
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 AM

ok thanks for the input guys.

Spencer ill let you know, if i keep my current manifold then ill prob be ok with what i have, but if not i may need it. thanks for the heads up.

Yeah the pie cuts definitely suck, and since it needs to be re-done anyway, im just going to buy a 90 degree bend and do it that way. I only made the slash cuts because i wanted to get everything done that night, and the stores were closed. as for the wg mount, do you guys think i have to re-do it in stainless, or if i make it fit better in mild it should be ok to tig? as for the dp, that can just be mig'ed right? those v-bands are supposed to be mild steel.....
Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

you can never go wrong with tig... cleaner stronger.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 PM

finally have some updates.
i ended up finding a guy who hooked me up on the welding. its mig'ed and is definitely not the prettiest thing in the world, but i think it should work just fine and it looks pretty good as far as placement, and fits awesome. only charged me $70 to do the wg mount, new dumptube with one piece of pipe, the bends for the dumptube and wg mount, and welding the downpipe. He let me use tools in the shop and get everything how we needed it too.

dumptube was not mandrel bent, but i dont think it will hurt performance any

anyone guess what this is off of? haha im sure u guys know. I got it for free from the shop and might run it out the back at an angle kinda how the muffler is now. its got a 4 inch inlet and 5 inch outlet, might look too big on there, might look pretty sick though too. ill know once i try it out

put oil in the car today. noticed when i bought the car, the oil return flange had some oil residue around it. decided to pull it off and there was no gasket. used some rtv silicone should be fine now.

wiring harness is pretty much done, just dont want to loom it before i start the car, and then have problems and have to take it back apart. unfortunately the fuel pump will not prime when i turn the key to the on position. i know it worked when i got the car, so im kinda frustrated with it. i decided to run a relay on the pump and wire it directly from the battery. i wanted to use the factory trigger but since its not working, im going to run it off a 12 volt constant and use an inline switch hidden somewhere. if anyone can help with fixing the stock wiring issue, please do. all the zip ties will come off and it should look pretty nice once finished.

here the computers are just sitting in the bay as i was testing the fuel pump and didnt want to run all the plugs through.

new bigger gauge wire coming from the fuel pump. i also pulled the pump out to make sure it was a walbro, which it was, so its good to be sure

Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM

no pictures of this but i also mounted the dip stick, wired the tweeters for the radio, mounted the radiator, and resealed the taillights to prevent water leaking into the trunk
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Man I can't wait to see a video of this car being started!

Quick Reply: picked up an s14,its definitely a little different, needs some stuff, check it out