s14 redtop swap problems you might get

Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JonathanRuiz
i got it running, it was the dash connector on the main harness wasnt seated all the way
That's what I figured, that's the connector I was referring to. The ECU receives it's power through that plug. Glad that you got it running, now go out and enjoy it!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:24 AM

oil in hotpipe!

i got dark oil blowing out of my bov and in my hot pipe... seals in turbo bad? also the turbo is smoking
Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

yea seals are Blown brother........ get it off asap before the oil gets into your Intercoooler and the rest of your intake system
Old 04-12-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
yea seals are Blown brother........ get it off asap before the oil gets into your Intercoooler and the rest of your intake system
reason i'm asking is because this is like the 3rd crank since the swap and the oil is super dark. i have fresh oil in the system, but i dont see fresh oil in the hot pipe. just old oil that is prolly from sitting for so long. although... you arent suppose to see oil in the IC piping right.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

no you are not....... clean it all out first start it up and let it run... give a bit of gas... shut it down... let it cool and check it again

remove the outlet and inlet and check for oil bro.. if you see visible oil, the seal on the compressor side is gone.. i would also remove the dump tube and check for oil on the exhaust side.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Temp gauge ? for all the S14 with redtops

My stock temp guage on my s14 guages reads 3/4 the way to H. but stays around that area.

my fan thermostat turn on one of my fans at 160F at its factory setting and at the 3/4ths mark it only turns on for a sec then turns off.

so apparently i'm hitting 160F but my stock temp guage is almost to H.

so the question i'm wondering is... is this normal for a guage reading on the stock temp guage since the turbo motor runs a little hotter faster than a N/A.

i'm going to get a water temp guage so i can get a more accurate reading and i'll prolly mount it in front of my stock temp guage so i don't see that annoying needle near H.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Hey brotha! I hope that you got everything figured out already, but in case you didnt i do have a few pointers.
Im not for sure on where the ignitor chip actually goes, but unless you have a right hand drive vehicle-from japan or converted, its guna have to be on the opposite side that it would usually go on. what i did was ended putting it on the side of my shock tower, just unscewed a bolt that out of the tower that fit and put it in one of the two holes firmly tightened to where it wouldnt move.
A lot of the plugs your talking about might not have a place, due to the different chassis and due to the fact that what they might go to is a usdm plug and not what is now a jdm plug.
There will definatly be a few that wont plug into anything, the best thing to do is to just really look over your engine bay and all around the tranny and ect...to an extreme, and youll find plugs for most all of the one your looking for. I hope this helped.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:27 PM

that is definatly the fitment issue... you have an s13 engine, but a s14 chassis so its not the same length. you might need to have a pipe or two fabricated or added onto to get them to fit properly.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 PM

help s14 with redtop no start

S14 with Redtop:
Ok so my car has been running good yesterday and today, until after work today. It cranked right up gave it some acceleration to the pedal and it moved about 10 feet, sputtered, then died.
cranked it back up. no problem, gave it gas. drove it onto my lift. was inching it forward with the gas and it stalled.
cranked it, turns over but not starting.

then here is an update of what i did today...

here is an update of what i did.

Checked CAS by having the ignition ON and turing the CAS by hand. I wasn't getting spark. I swapped my CAS and now I'm getting spark. Spark looked a little weak though.

Checked continuity through Coilpack harness... all the wires checked out good.

Checked continuity through the MAIN harness from ecu to ignitor chip... good

Checked continuty through the other side of ignitor to the coilpack harness... good

Checked for constant 12v to ignitor with ignition in ON position... good.

power and ground to coilpacks good.

Maf connected...

Cas connected...

Some fuel in cylinder so injectors are working....

took a fuel sample... fuel good

checked compression... 150psi across the board...

swapped ecus... same problem...

fuel level says i have about 1/3 gas left... (will the s13 fuel pump give me fuel starvation? but its entering the cylinder so shouldn't it still idle?)

Checked timing... moved crank pulley to line up the 2nd mark starting from the left (when looking at it) to the peg. removed cas. lined up mating dimple to shaft mark. inserted cas and slightly aligned to yellow dimple. cranked and moved cas... still no catch...

ANY ideas?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 PM

the cyl. looking sensor is the speed sensor. the two connectors coming from the main body harness are the cruise controll and the wiper motor connector. and the one up by the horn i think is some sort of thermostatic sensor.... maybe for the fans? i donno about that one.