SR20DET Motor Build ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM

SR20DET Motor Build ?????

I am in the process of getting a S14 95/96 with a stock sr20 and building it. I have talked to others, like Baltgrounds Engineering of Georgia, and gotten advice from them, but i like to hear it from many others as well. Generally my question is though, is from my list what am i looking at realiably wise, power wise and general critiszm(sp).
Buddy Club Stage 2 Exhaust
HKS 262/272 Intake and Exhaust Cams
BC Rocker Arm Stoppers
Greddy Intake Manifold
Nismo 740cc Injectors
Custom Intercooler
Brian Crower Springs and Retainer Kit
Tomei 1.2mm Headgasket
Koyo Race Radiator
Tomei 1.5 way LSD Diff
Tomei ALum Driveshaft
Nismo Fuel Regulator
z32 MAF
Nismo Low Temp Termastat

This is my list of what i will be doign so far. I am looking at putting a total of 5grand into drivetrain and motor alone. I have looked at turbo manifold and turbo itself. My friend who is doing the custom intercooler can also get deals on turbos through his shop. But i dont now what turbo to go with and what manifold to go with. Also i havent really looked into engine management and fuel management or anything along those lines. My plan was to have Batlgrounds to dyno tune it after everything is on.

My goal is around 330-350rwhp on low DD boost, and around 400rwhp on high boost(taking it to the track time).

I know that i am not putting suspenion and such but i already have that planned out, and everything else, my knowledge just falls short on the performance and drivetrain. I use to have a all motor SR20DE B15 Sentra, but when it comes to the s14 sr20det rwd motor i am at a lost for knowledge. Just seeing if people who have gone this path before can fix my lsit fill me in on blanks that i might have missed, adn such.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2007, 09:23 AM

my adv bro to you is first i would run test on the eng befor i put it in and change everything on it(freeze plugs,pivot ball,hoses the one under the intake is a ***** when it pops lol **** like that ) and then let it run stock for a month or two to see if its all good or you can just drop everything into it first but it looks like everything that you have or gonna do is cool you do need a better fuel pump and a clutch after that you should be good bro just maintain it and the **** out and good luck
Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Quick question, what do you have to do to get the freeze plugs out and a new set in? I finally found some and was wondering about the install.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

special tools, comes in a set. im sure you could find another way tho. they just pop out.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 PM

I was taught to hit the very edge of the plug with a cold chisel an a ball peen hammer when I was going for auto tech in college... Usually they'll spin and you can grab them with a pair of vice grips and just pull them out. You can press the plug back in by finding a socket that matches in size and hitting it gently with a hammer. Don't go to far or you chance losing the plug in the water jacket. I had a classmate who did just that on a SBC and spent the better part of a day getting it out! An old circle track guy once told me to use Indian Head shellac (sp?) on the mating surface when you press the new ones in, just another trick to keep them watertight I guess...