Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Any bushing that must or most likly going to change when changing suspensions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 02:37 AM

Any bushing that must or most likly going to change when changing suspensions?

we I finally bought the KYB GR2 and S tech. but now I am worry about bushing. are there any bushing that are like to be wornout for a 1990 240sx? I just wanna do it all together. less hassel. and I found the bearing plate thingy to be $47.99 each on PDM-racing.com is it a good price? if so should I just get TEIN front camber plate for $153. in performancenissanpart.com since it is for both and camber adjustable which I might need for after lowering my car.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Any bushing that must or most likly going to change when changing suspensions?

Originally posted by jackyliem
we I finally bought the KYB GR2 and S tech. but now I am worry about bushing. are there any bushing that are like to be wornout for a 1990 240sx? I just wanna do it all together. less hassel. and I found the bearing plate thingy to be $47.99 each on PDM-racing.com is it a good price? if so should I just get TEIN front camber plate for $153. in performancenissanpart.com since it is for both and camber adjustable which I might need for after lowering my car.
Normally you don't need to replace any bushing when changing shocks or springs or both. If you do change things like bushings while you change suspension, it's more of a convenience thing to do 2-3 suspension jobs at once (like you referred to) instead of having to jack the car up every other day.

Depending on the age and the wear and tear of the car, suspension arm bushings go bad after awhile (say, at least around 180k miles or so) - but the most common bushing in the suspension that goes out fast is the gel-filled tension rod bushing up front. This is common across both S13 and S14.

As for those PDM strut bushings, if yours aren't in pieces or destroyed, there's no need to replace them. Besides, you can find replacement isolators cheaper elsewhere, like around $38.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

This is great like, i picked a perfect time to start wondering about my suspension! Like every question that I start to wonder about jackyliem makes a thread for. And then of course l2aine comes up with the answers.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by twofotisx
This is great like, i picked a perfect time to start wondering about my suspension! Like every question that I start to wonder about jackyliem makes a thread for. And then of course l2aine comes up with the answers.
The good part is that jacky is asking good questions... not boring newb stuff like "so I wanna go S15 conversion and I'm 15 and I sold my Civic and I'm Mr. Pro drifter but I don't know how to drive stick yet..." blah blah blah LOL
Old 01-03-2005, 09:52 AM

thx for the compliment
Old 01-06-2005, 05:48 PM

hold on...could i still change the bushings? Does the energy suspension hyper flex kit come with all the necessary parts to replace all the bushings on my 91 240sx fastback?. Is there any other COMPLETE set that i can get for cheaper or better quality

I have in my mind and want to purchase the bushings while i'm in this suspension upgrade mood

....yeah decided to go kyb agx with tein springs after what all your comments on them raine
Old 01-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kang128
hold on...could i still change the bushings? Does the energy suspension hyper flex kit come with all the necessary parts to replace all the bushings on my 91 240sx fastback?. Is there any other COMPLETE set that i can get for cheaper or better quality

I have in my mind and want to purchase the bushings while i'm in this suspension upgrade mood

....yeah decided to go kyb agx with tein springs after what all your comments on them raine
PDM set is available, but at $400 - compared to Energy kit (around $120) + some subframe collars (about $80) + whatever else you wanna buy for the extra $200 (maybe a whiteline RR swaybar?).

The Energy kit includes the bushings for the swaybars too - but that might not matter if you're planning on upgrading to a thicker bar. The PDM kit doesn't come with swaybar bushings (I'm betting it's because of the "upgrade to whiteline swaybar" thing I just typed) but they include subframe collars instead.

The PDM stuff is great though, just a tad on the high $ side for me. If anything, I'd probably get the Energy kit + PDM's subframe collars. I'm happy with stock sways right now... lol

BTW: If you decide to change bushings, don't overlook the fact that you need a hydraulic press to get the old bushings out and the new bushings in. They don't just pop in and out of place.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:48 AM

i heard you can just torch the old rubber bushings till their melting. They slide off with some effort then. But do you need a press to actually put the bushings back in?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kang128
i heard you can just torch the old rubber bushings till their melting. They slide off with some effort then. But do you need a press to actually put the bushings back in?
provided you have a torch, yea that's the easiest - if not hotest - way to get the old ones out... but you still have to get the new ones in - and the new bushings are harder compared to the soft, pliable stocks. If you have drifts you might be able to get the new bushings in, but a hydraulic press is a surefire way to get the job done right.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

if your gonna do a lot of press work, northern tools has a press for 100.00 bucks. or you can make one for half that. either way you might as well but one if you plan on doing a lot of the work. or you can get a bunch of buddies to go in on a press together.